Close

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannabis

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SleepersOwn Click here to enlarge
    Wow ! I never knew about this ! You have changed my views for vaping with this one vid lol !
    lol its really awesome you can shake it and it will tell you how much battery is left by changing color.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    lol its really awesome you can shake it and it will tell you how much battery is left by changing color.
    Eyes.Wide.Open.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice. i just picked up some new hardware too. Click here to enlarge

also..for some old laughs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Holy crap... I don't even know what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Nice lungs!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

That looks great
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Vishnu- Pocede
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Amazing what happens when R & D is allowed to explore the possibilities!

Hemp Is Effective In Cleaning Nuclear Disasters

http://www.theweedblog.com/hemp-is-e...ear-disasters/May 6, 2013

Johnny Green

Most people, especially cannabis advocates, understand that hemp is an incredibly diverse and useful plant, which produces thousands of products, even things like hempcrete - concrete made almost exclusively from hemp, which is actually stronger than typical concrete. However, few people understand how useful hemp can be in something as drastically important as cleaning up nuclear disaster sites.

Recent research has indicated that hemp is one of the most useful plants we have for phytoremediation
    , which is the process of cleaning areas suffering from nuclear contamination, by using plants to absorb the toxins out of the soil and water.

Hemp is being found to be one of the most effective plants for this process, and has been used to clean contaminated soil around the world, at locations like Chernobyl. Given that hemp is a fairly-easily produced annual crop that can grow almost anywhere, it could forever change how effective we are at handling nuclear disasters.

Some states are taking notice of hemp’s possibility when being used in this process. Recently Hawaii’s House of Representatives, and two Senate committees, all voted unanimously (yes, all of them) to approve HB 154 HD2, a measure which would establish a two year industrial hemp research program that would examine hemp’s effectiveness in phytoremediation (as well as bio-fuel). Other states, such as Colorado, are discussing similar measures.

Hemp’s use in phytoremediation is just another example of its intense and unrivaled diversity.

Source: The Joint Blog

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yage202 Click here to enlarge
    Amazing what happens when R & D is allowed to explore the possibilities!

Hemp Is Effective In Cleaning Nuclear Disasters

http://www.theweedblog.com/hemp-is-e...ear-disasters/May 6, 2013

Johnny Green

Most people, especially cannabis advocates, understand that hemp is an incredibly diverse and useful plant, which produces thousands of products, even things like hempcrete - concrete made almost exclusively from hemp, which is actually stronger than typical concrete. However, few people understand how useful hemp can be in something as drastically important as cleaning up nuclear disaster sites.

Recent research has indicated that hemp is one of the most useful plants we have for phytoremediation
    , which is the process of cleaning areas suffering from nuclear contamination, by using plants to absorb the toxins out of the soil and water.

Hemp is being found to be one of the most effective plants for this process, and has been used to clean contaminated soil around the world, at locations like Chernobyl. Given that hemp is a fairly-easily produced annual crop that can grow almost anywhere, it could forever change how effective we are at handling nuclear disasters.

Some states are taking notice of hemp’s possibility when being used in this process. Recently Hawaii’s House of Representatives, and two Senate committees, all voted unanimously (yes, all of them) to approve HB 154 HD2, a measure which would establish a two year industrial hemp research program that would examine hemp’s effectiveness in phytoremediation (as well as bio-fuel). Other states, such as Colorado, are discussing similar measures.

Hemp’s use in phytoremediation is just another example of its intense and unrivaled diversity.

Pretty incredible...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I am sure I can prob get an answer to this problem I have in here. Me and the roomate broke our new glass piece, what is the best method for repairing it? I have heard some people talk about using hardening putty and things like that, what do you guys recommend?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bakeme521 Click here to enlarge
    I am sure I can prob get an answer to this problem I have in here. Me and the roomate broke our new glass piece, what is the best method for repairing it? I have heard some people talk about using hardening putty and things like that, what do you guys recommend?
    Take it to a headshop and see if it can be repaired by a glass blower.
    Did you break a perc/joint? they can be fixed. If the whole piece shattered your out of luck.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Best method? Give me weed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

More research , more good stuff:

Study: Marijuana Use Connected With Lower Risk Of Bladder Cancer

http://www.theweedblog.com/study-mar...ladder-cancer/May 13, 2013

Johnny Green

Click here to enlargeA new study conducted by Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in California, and presented this week at the American Urological Association annual meeting in San Diego, has found promising results indicating that marijuana use may significantly lower an individuals risk of developing bladder cancer. The research was funded by the Kaiser Permanente Research and Evaluation Center, and included an examination of over 83,000 men between the ages of 45 and 69.
    The study examined those who smoke tobacco only, marijuana only, and those who consume both.
    “Cannabis use only was associated with a 45 percent reduction in bladder cancer incidence, and tobacco use only was associated with a 52 percent increase in bladder cancer,” stated the study’s author, Dr. Anil A. Thomas.
    According to the research, smoking both tobacco and marijuana raised the risk of bladder cancer, but drastically less so than for those who only smoked tobacco, Thomas found, indicating that marijuana may have protective capabilities against bladder cancer. The study unfortunately didn’t examine nonsmokers, leading us to hope for further studies soon.
    During the study’s 11-year followup, it was found that “More frequent marijuana use — smoking pot more than 500 times — was associated with greater risk reduction than infrequent marijuana use — smoking once or twice.” This further validates the claims being made by the study’s author that marijuana use may reduce the risk of bladder cancer.
    Although more research is needed, this is a promising new study that shows yet another serious diseases, ailment, etc. that marijuana can help fight against.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

same as above get a blower to fix it but only if it wasn't a perk or joint on the piece. make sure there is ABSOLUTELY NO RESIN IN THE PIECE. If there is it will explode when they try to re blow it
    Vishnu- Pocede
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yage202 Click here to enlarge
    More research , more good stuff:

Study: Marijuana Use Connected With Lower Risk Of Bladder Cancer

http://www.theweedblog.com/study-mar...ladder-cancer/May 13, 2013

Johnny Green

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...noidthcv-1.jpgA new study conducted by Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in California, and presented this week at the American Urological Association annual meeting in San Diego, has found promising results indicating that marijuana use may significantly lower an individuals risk of developing bladder cancer. The research was funded by the Kaiser Permanente Research and Evaluation Center, and included an examination of over 83,000 men between the ages of 45 and 69.
    The study examined those who smoke tobacco only, marijuana only, and those who consume both.
    “Cannabis use only was associated with a 45 percent reduction in bladder cancer incidence, and tobacco use only was associated with a 52 percent increase in bladder cancer,” stated the study’s author, Dr. Anil A. Thomas.
    According to the research, smoking both tobacco and marijuana raised the risk of bladder cancer, but drastically less so than for those who only smoked tobacco, Thomas found, indicating that marijuana may have protective capabilities against bladder cancer. The study unfortunately didn’t examine nonsmokers, leading us to hope for further studies soon.
    During the study’s 11-year followup, it was found that “More frequent marijuana use — smoking pot more than 500 times — was associated with greater risk reduction than infrequent marijuana use — smoking once or twice.” This further validates the claims being made by the study’s author that marijuana use may reduce the risk of bladder cancer.
    Although more research is needed, this is a promising new study that shows yet another serious diseases, ailment, etc. that marijuana can help fight against.

Not the first I've heard of marijuana helping with cancer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

More:

Study: Regular Cannabis Use Associated With Reduced Risk Factors For Type 2 Diabetes

Click here to enlargeBy Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director
    Subjects who regularly consume cannabis possess favorable indices related to diabetic control as compared to occasional consumers or non-users, according to trial data published today online in the American Journal of Medicine.

Here is a summary of the study from the website diabetes.co.uk:

Cannabis may prevent development of type 2 diabetes

A new study has revealed that smoking cannabis may help protect against type 2 diabetes after researchers in the US found that regular users of the drug have better blood sugar control.

Murray Mittleman, of the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Unit at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre in Boston, analysed data on almost 5,000 patients who were quizzed about their use of recreational drugs as part of the National Health and Nutrition Survey between 2005 and 2010.

They found that 2,103 had never use cannabis, 975 had used the drug in the past but were not current users, and 579 (over 10%) had inhaled or ingested it in the past month.
    Tests showed that current users had 16% lower fasting insulin levels and reduced insulin resistance than those who had never used cannabis. Non-users also had larger waistlines and lower levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL or ‘good’) cholesterol – both of which are risk factors for type 2 diabetes.

The same benefits were seen among participants who had used the drug in the past but the associations were not as strong, indicating that the effects of cannabis use on insulin levels and insulin sensitivity wear off over time.

“Previous epidemiologic studies have found lower prevalence rates of obesity and diabetes mellitus in marijuana users compared to people who have never used marijuana, suggesting a relationship between cannabinoids and peripheral metabolic processes, but ours is the first to investigate the relationship between marijuana use and fasting insulin, glucose, and insulin resistance,” said lead investigator Mittleman.

Commenting on the study, American Journal of Medicine Editor-in-Chief Joseph S. Alpert, MD, Professor of Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, wrote in an accompanying commentary: “These are indeed remarkable observations that are supported, as the authors note, by basic science experiments that came to similar conclusions.” He added: “We desperately need a great deal more basic and clinical research into the short- and long-term effects of marijuana in a variety of clinical settings such as cancer, diabetes, and frailty of the elderly. I would like to call on the NIH and the DEA to collaborate in developing policies to implement solid scientific investigations that would lead to information assisting physicians in the proper use and prescription of THC in its synthetic or herbal form.”

Diabetes mellitus
    is a group of autoimmune diseases characterized by defects in insulin secretion resulting in hyperglycemia (an abnormally high concentration of glucose in the blood). There are two primary types of diabetes. Individuals diagnosed with type 1 diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes) are incapable of producing pancreatic insulin and must rely on insulin medication for survival. Individuals diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (also known as adult onset diabetes) produce inadequate amounts of insulin. Type 2 diabetes is a less serious condition that typically is controlled by diet. Over time, diabetes can lead to blindness, kidney failure, nerve damage, hardening of the arteries and death. The disease is the third leading cause of death in the United States after heart disease and cancer.

Observational trial data published in 2012 in the British Medical Journal previously reported that adults with a history of marijuana use had a lower prevalence of type 2 diabetes and possess a lower risk of contracting the disease than do those with no history of cannabis consumption, even after researchers adjusted for social variables (ethnicity, level of physical activity, etc.) Investigators concluded, “Our analysis of adults aged 20-59 years … showed that participants who used marijuana had a lower prevalence of DM (Diabetes Mellitus) and lower odds of DM relative to non-marijuana users.”

Although subjects who consume marijuana on average have higher average caloric intake levels than non-users, the plant’s use has been associated with lower body-mass index (BMI) and lower rates of obesity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

OK guys,
    I travel via plane 2-3x a month. How do I safely bring 'something' to get me high in all the different states I land & stay in? I say 'something' as I guess there are oils and stuff that you can make as opposed to bringing bud. I live in MA so no shops yet. I am handy and happy to make my own stuff. Some lady was telling me about an oil pen or something? Any suggestions on what I can bring onto a plane as I rarely check my bags?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I just flew to hawaii with my medicine in my carry on. I put it in a pelican micro case along with my script. The pelican case pretty much blocks any smell from escaping. I had no problems at all. Here is a great article that eased my anxiety.
    "Hey GrassCity, I wanted to share my recent experiences with flying out with medical marijuana, so that others may be able to understand their rights when traveling out of an MMJ-friendly state. In May of 2012, I flew from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and then from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the same day. I spoke in-person with both the Los Angeles Airport Police and the San Francisco Police Department about their specific policies, but I'll outline a few other airports for those who have found this page seeking an answer.

Here's the gist of the MMJ-Friendly California Airports:
    LAX (with possibly Ontario, Van Nuys, and Palmdale airports): CA State-issued Identification Card Only
    Oakland: State-issued Identification Card OR Immediately Verifiable Valid Medical Marijuana Recommendation
    SF: State-issued Identification Card OR Immediately Verifiable Valid Medical Marijuana Recommendation

As a medical marijuana patient with a state-issued ID card (the one issued by your County Department of Public Health) that is in possession of under 8 ounces (or 6 plants, if they don't look at you weird), in your carry-on luggage or on your person only, there is likely little-to-zerotrouble that you could get in by going through security in Los Angeles International (LAX), San Francisco International (SFO), or Oakland International Airport (OAK). The general procedure is that you check-in to your flight as normal -- no need to alert the airline or TSA ahead of time -- and then place your items through the scanner. Upon discovery of such contraband, the TSA refers such individual to the state or local police that have jurisdiction at that airport. Most airports -- and all of the airports above -- are governed by state or local police, which enforces state law (and not federal law). California's Proposition 215 in 1996 (and further with SB420 in 2003) operate with the understanding that, in general, medical marijuana patients in the state of California are still subject to arrest like anyone else unless the recommendation has been verified with the state (through the issuance of the state-issued card, per CA Health and Safety Code 11362.71).

However, Oakland and San Francisco are two exceptions to that rule, at least when it comes to airport policy. Oakland International Airport's policy is more clear, thanks to the Alameda County Sheriffs Department, which as long as such individual can establish that he or she is a qualified patient or a primary caregiver based upon the information at hand (including a phone call to the doctor), no person shall be hassled by police, nor report to federal authorities or to the destination city. As for San Francisco International, while I cannot find the written policy, SFPD claimed that any individual that has a medical defense would go through a similar verification procedure as Oakland International. I attempted to test such policy in San Francisco; however, the TSA didn't flag the bag with the medicine in it, and thus the airport police weren't called (yeah, they didn't notice the sack of weed in my bag, and I was literally the only person they were screening at the time).

Other airports in CA aren't so friendly, such as San Jose. Although they'll let any person with an identification card enter the airport with medical marijuana, the state authorities will file a report with federal authorities, which will choose whether or not to pursue legal action (under federal penalties). As a general precaution, this procedure should be expected in any California airport, with obvious exception for the three listed above.

If you're looking for MMJ-friendly airports in other areas besides California, and can establish a medical defense in accordance with the respective state laws, people have found little issue traveling with MMJ out of Washington's Sea-Tac (Seattle) and Montana (pre-2011 law change), and places like Canada allow you to vaporize in airports.

Bottom line -- If you're a California resident, get a state-issued identification card (ranging from $100-150, valid for one year), and you won't be cited, arrested or miss your flight if it's in your carry-on (not checked!) at Los Angeles, San Francisco or Oakland. You will likely not encounter issues on the other side, unless both a drug-sniffing dog points you out (very unlikely, as the dogs you generally see at airports are bomb-sniffing) and it's illegal to possess MMJ in your destination state (or via point). If you travel through SFO or OAK without a verifiable medical marijuana recommendation or identification card, you'll be cited under state law for marijuana possession ($100 fine + court costs), the police will confiscate your stash, and you can prove your defense later in court.

Further reading:

Oakland -- Got Pot? It's Legal to Take It on the Plane in Oakland | Drugs | AlterNet
    San Francisco & San Jose -- ASA : Medical marijuana patients can travel with pot from SFO, other Bay Area airports
    Los Angeles -- MedicalMarijuanaPolicies
    Washington -- Man Gets Out Medical Marijuana At TSA Checkpoint, Gets Through - Toke of the Town
    Canada -- Canada: Marijuana Patients Allowed To Vape In Airports, Planes - Toke of the Town
    Montana -- Report: Medical Marijuana Now Allowed In Airports - Toke of the Town

Cheers!"

This was originally posted here

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-m...12-update.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chadd Click here to enlarge
    I just flew to hawaii with my medicine in my carry on. I put it in a pelican micro case along with my script. The pelican case pretty much blocks any smell from escaping. I had no problems at all. Here is a great article that eased my anxiety.
    "Hey GrassCity, I wanted to share my recent experiences with flying out with medical marijuana, so that others may be able to understand their rights when traveling out of an MMJ-friendly state. In May of 2012, I flew from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and then from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the same day. I spoke in-person with both the Los Angeles Airport Police and the San Francisco Police Department about their specific policies, but I'll outline a few other airports for those who have found this page seeking an answer.

Here's the gist of the MMJ-Friendly California Airports:
    LAX (with possibly Ontario, Van Nuys, and Palmdale airports): CA State-issued Identification Card Only
    Oakland: State-issued Identification Card OR Immediately Verifiable Valid Medical Marijuana Recommendation
    SF: State-issued Identification Card OR Immediately Verifiable Valid Medical Marijuana Recommendation

As a medical marijuana patient with a state-issued ID card (the one issued by your County Department of Public Health) that is in possession of under 8 ounces (or 6 plants, if they don't look at you weird), in your carry-on luggage or on your person only, there is likely little-to-zerotrouble that you could get in by going through security in Los Angeles International (LAX), San Francisco International (SFO), or Oakland International Airport (OAK). The general procedure is that you check-in to your flight as normal -- no need to alert the airline or TSA ahead of time -- and then place your items through the scanner. Upon discovery of such contraband, the TSA refers such individual to the state or local police that have jurisdiction at that airport. Most airports -- and all of the airports above -- are governed by state or local police, which enforces state law (and not federal law). California's Proposition 215 in 1996 (and further with SB420 in 2003) operate with the understanding that, in general, medical marijuana patients in the state of California are still subject to arrest like anyone else unless the recommendation has been verified with the state (through the issuance of the state-issued card, per CA Health and Safety Code 11362.71).

However, Oakland and San Francisco are two exceptions to that rule, at least when it comes to airport policy. Oakland International Airport's policy is more clear, thanks to the Alameda County Sheriffs Department, which as long as such individual can establish that he or she is a qualified patient or a primary caregiver based upon the information at hand (including a phone call to the doctor), no person shall be hassled by police, nor report to federal authorities or to the destination city. As for San Francisco International, while I cannot find the written policy, SFPD claimed that any individual that has a medical defense would go through a similar verification procedure as Oakland International. I attempted to test such policy in San Francisco; however, the TSA didn't flag the bag with the medicine in it, and thus the airport police weren't called (yeah, they didn't notice the sack of weed in my bag, and I was literally the only person they were screening at the time).

Other airports in CA aren't so friendly, such as San Jose. Although they'll let any person with an identification card enter the airport with medical marijuana, the state authorities will file a report with federal authorities, which will choose whether or not to pursue legal action (under federal penalties). As a general precaution, this procedure should be expected in any California airport, with obvious exception for the three listed above.

If you're looking for MMJ-friendly airports in other areas besides California, and can establish a medical defense in accordance with the respective state laws, people have found little issue traveling with MMJ out of Washington's Sea-Tac (Seattle) and Montana (pre-2011 law change), and places like Canada allow you to vaporize in airports.

Bottom line -- If you're a California resident, get a state-issued identification card (ranging from $100-150, valid for one year), and you won't be cited, arrested or miss your flight if it's in your carry-on (not checked!) at Los Angeles, San Francisco or Oakland. You will likely not encounter issues on the other side, unless both a drug-sniffing dog points you out (very unlikely, as the dogs you generally see at airports are bomb-sniffing) and it's illegal to possess MMJ in your destination state (or via point). If you travel through SFO or OAK without a verifiable medical marijuana recommendation or identification card, you'll be cited under state law for marijuana possession ($100 fine + court costs), the police will confiscate your stash, and you can prove your defense later in court.

Further reading:

Oakland -- Got Pot? It's Legal to Take It on the Plane in Oakland | Drugs | AlterNet
    San Francisco & San Jose -- ASA : Medical marijuana patients can travel with pot from SFO, other Bay Area airports
    Los Angeles -- MedicalMarijuanaPolicies
    Washington -- Man Gets Out Medical Marijuana At TSA Checkpoint, Gets Through - Toke of the Town
    Canada -- Canada: Marijuana Patients Allowed To Vape In Airports, Planes - Toke of the Town
    Montana -- Report: Medical Marijuana Now Allowed In Airports - Toke of the Town

Cheers!"

This was originally posted here

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-m...12-update.html
    That's quite in depth and great info to know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The more they look, the more they find:http://www.thcfinder.com/marijuana-b...gh-cholesterolCannabis May Prevent Erectile Dysfunction Caused By High Cholesterol

Category: Medical Marijuana | Posted on Mon, December, 9th 2013 by THCFinderClick here to enlargeAn interesting new study published by the journal Clinicaland Developmental Immunology and the National Institute of Health has found that activation of the body’s cannabinoid receptors - something done naturally by cannabis – can actually reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction in those with hypercholesterolemia. According to the study’s researchers, hypercholesterolemia (which is the presence of high levels of cholesterol in the blood) is “one of the most important risk factors for erectile dysfunction, mostly due to the impairment of oxidative stress and endothelial function in the penis”. After studying the effects of cannabinoid receptor activation on mice with high cholesterol, researchers found that; “CB2 activation decreased histological features, which were associated with erectile dysfunction in hypercholesterolemic mice.” According to the study’s lead researcher, these results have important implications that could lead to cannabinoids and cannabis being used to treat erectile dysfunction, which effects over 30 million Americans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Uruguay Legalized It. Click here to enlarge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-lati...56#TWEET980879

11 December 2013 Last updated at 06:49 ET
    Uruguay becomes first nation to legalise marijuana trade

The Uruguayan government hopes legalising the sale of marijuana will tackle drug cartels

Uruguay has become the first country in the world to make it legal to grow, sell and consume marijuana.

After nearly 12 hours of debate, senators gave the government-sponsored bill their historic final approval.

The law allowing registered Uruguayans over 18 to buy up to 40g (1,4oz) of the drug a month is not expected to come into force before April.

The government hopes it will help tackle drug cartels, but critics say it will expose more people to drugs.

This was a huge victory for the cannabis-smoking community in Uruguay.

Hundreds of young people gathered outside Congress in Montevideo to follow the vote on a giant screen. Many shared a joint of marijuana with their friends. They partied amid reggae music and some waved marijuana leaves.

There was an atmosphere of celebration inside the Senate too, with dozens of supporters of President Mujica following the nearly 14 hours of the debate from the spectators' gallery.

But not everyone was happy about this law. Senator Pedro Bordaberry of the conservative Red Party told the BBC his country should not become a "guinea pig for Mr Mujica's experiment".

He said: "We used to be known for our excellent meat and football, now the world is watching us because of our marijuana."

Dozens of supporters of the bill proposed by the left-wing President Jose Mujica gathered outside the Congress in Montevideo to follow the vote.

Presenting the bill to fellow senators, Roberto Conde said it was an unavoidable response to reality, given that the "war" against drugs had failed.

"We have the duty as the state to give a specific answer to an open territory, small and non-producing," Mr Conde said, adding that Uruguay's borders were used by cartels to smuggle drugs into neighbouring countries.

But many senators also spoke out against the bill, before it was passed by 16 votes to 13 on Tuesday.

The opposition member Alfredo Solari said Uruguay should not "experiment" on its people.

"This project envisages a social engineering experiment and respects none of the ethic safeguards of experimentation on human beings, and these are important in the case of a substance like marijuana, which causes damage to human beings," Senator Solari told Reuters news agency.

Debate continues
    The project had already been approved by Uruguay's lower house in July.

It had also drawn international criticism. The International Narcotics Control Board (INCB) warned the law would "be in complete contravention to the provisions of the international drug treaties to which Uruguay is party".

The INCB is an independent body of experts established by the United Nations to monitor countries' compliance with international drug treaties.

A Uruguayan woman on the government's plans: "This president is doing what needs to be done"
    The historic approval comes amid growing debate over drug legalisation in Latin America.

A group of former presidents and influential social figures, including Brazil's Fernando Henrique Cardoso, Mexico's Ernesto Zedillo and Colombian ex-leader Cesar Gaviria, have called for marijuana to be legalised and regulated.

But President Mujica recently asked during an interview why the former leaders only spoke out about the legalisation of marijuana after they had left office.

In July, without naming Uruguay directly, Pope Francis criticised drug legalisation plans during a visit to Brazil.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast