Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Superbowl security includes snipers

Even if say you managed to get up to one of the players, coaches, or executives with a weapon, a sniper would take you out before you knew what hit you:

Some photos with no backstory are making the rounds, showing what appears to be an Indianapolis police sniper checking out his post in the rafters of Lucas Oil Stadium in the hours or days before the Super Bowl, a post that would be manned when the game began. Yes, we know there's nothing surprising about trained marksmen working the biggest sporting event of the year. We also know it's pretty damn cool to see what the Super Bowl snipers are working with.

It's standard operating procedure to have an invisible law enforcement presence at any high-profile event, let alone one with the attendance and attention the Super Bowl receives. And remember, there are all kinds of politicians and other assorted rich people around. You never know what could happen, though the imagination conjures up increasingly insane and horrifying scenarios, and also the criminally underrated Black Sunday. It's just never a bad idea to have a sniper rifle around.

It's no secret that the Super Bowl is staffed by sharpshooters. "We've got a lot of places for snipers in here," Jerry Jones enthused to CNN about Cowboys Stadium before last year's Super Bowl. In 2009, Ashton Kutcher noticed (and filmed) a pair of them across the street.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's crazy, they really don't play around when it comes to this stuff.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    anyone know what kind of sniper that is?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats not a sniper. Thats a designated marksman. Snipers are snipers because of tactics and field craft that get them into and out of those situations. You can tell its a wannabe choice by choosing that rifle. Looks like it a cheytac maybe, i dunno, on the droid. But it fires a large caliber, probably .338. Now, WTF is he gonna shoot with that and not almost guarantee collateral damage by a fragment orpunch-through? That weapon is designed for vehicle and equipment destruction, not really people. Yes, good for that, but at that distance, in a crowded non histile civilian populace, very bad choice. People like him are why snipers are crtiqued so badly, wannabes claiming to be snipers get in trouble..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah, nevermind. I only saw one pic and magazine looked large. Looks to be 7.62, possibly the new m14 or ebr, whichever. But also has a m24/remington 700 in the background.. They should be good with those Click here to enlarge

Still dont tbink they are snipers though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My season ticket seats are being blocked by the flash suppressor/silencer..whatever, in the 3rd pic.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Ah, nevermind. I only saw one pic and magazine looked large. Looks to be 7.62, possibly the new m14 or ebr, whichever. But also has a m24/remington 700 in the background.. They should be good with those Click here to enlarge

Still dont tbink they are snipers though
    Never knew .338 lapua was anti-vehicle/equipment. I guess that energy makes it a great long distance round as well?

Have you seen the ballistic calculators for Android? Check out the market, some of them might be useful to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Never knew .338 lapua was anti-vehicle/equipment. I guess that energy makes it a great long distance round as well?

Have you seen the ballistic calculators for Android? Check out the market, some of them might be useful to you.
    all the heavy calibers are PRIMARILY designed for anti-material, but obviously effectively used on personell. per "textbook" you can only engage targets out to 600m with those. i havent gotten to the .338 yet though, so very well could be different.

i looked at droid app stuff, they give it to you from school, but the ABC already has the attrag and exbal s/w. i dont have a personal rifle, so its not really neccessary for me, but thanks anyway.

**edit. i just checked the trag update and it does have 338 info, hopefully we get them sometime this year.. doubtful thanks to 'Bama, but hopeful still

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    338 is stupid overkill for civilian environment. If that is a 338 lapua round the guy should be fired, it will go through 5 people.

Shouldnt need anything bigger than a 308.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    338 is stupid overkill for civilian environment. If that is a 338 lapua round the guy should be fired, it will go through 5 people.
    $#@! happens. We all know that, so lets stick with the 338 and have a classy awesome $#@! instead of lame $#@!. with 338 you can kill 5 people, with 308 you will have 2 dead persons, 1 person with 1 hand and another with a came off leg. in other words, huge mess. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Shouldnt need anything bigger than a 308.
    yea, its not though. i had a quick look on the droid and from one angle it looked like a cheytac with a giant magazine, its an EBR, aka revised m14, painted and suppressed

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    rounds
    Click here to enlarge
    From left to right: 7.62x51 (for scale), .300 Winchester
    Magnum, .338 Lapua Magnum, .375 CheyTac, .408 CheyTac, .416 Barrett, .460 Steyr,
    .50 BMG A-MAX

so 338 isnt too big really now that i see it, but overkill for this scenario

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool, they get to do whatever they want even use rounds that might kill innocent bystanders. It's all in the name of safety.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not really. the chance of a police sniper pulling a trigger is like winning the lottery your first time playing, playing again the same day, and winning that one too.. NEVER gonna get approved

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2086 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well that is somewhat reassuring.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    338 isnt a physically big round but it is a more advanced round than the 50 caliber that predates it. It is supposed to do with the 50 cal BMG can do but the rounds weigh less and the bullets have a flatter tragectory. 338s are meant to reach out almost 2 kilometers for long range sniping, totally not needed for a civilian environment. Might as well have a tank sitting in the middle of the stadium 'just incase' because thats what the 338 lapua is gonna do to people standing next to it when the round hits.

You do know that the shock wave of that round is enough to kill you even if it misses your head by 12 inches, the pressure wave alone will blow your ears and eyes out.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is what they need to use for stadium protection.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    338 isnt a physically big round but it is a more advanced round than the 50 caliber that predates it. It is supposed to do with the 50 cal BMG can do but the rounds weigh less and the bullets have a flatter tragectory. 338s are meant to reach out almost 2 kilometers for long range sniping, totally not needed for a civilian environment. Might as well have a tank sitting in the middle of the stadium 'just incase' because thats what the 338 lapua is gonna do to people standing next to it when the round hits.

You do know that the shock wave of that round is enough to kill you even if it misses your head by 12 inches, the pressure wave alone will blow your ears and eyes out.
    yes and no, yes its better and more flat, but the .50 isnt really that bad. it has a few setbacks that are in process of being addressed. first and foremost is the rifle itself, its not accurate enough for such long range sniping, then the round itself, is mostly still 1950's era lots. so combine those 2 and yea, its good when you need it for what it was designed for, but currently the .338 is king of whats available.. unfortunatly, whats available to "special" people and even civilians, is not accessable to regular forces

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i like that sniper view. lol