Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes i know this post is four years old. Couldn't help but notice your 'm30 in an e36 is stupid' comment.

Not trying to start a flame war (esp not on my first post) but you couldn't be more mistaken. The m30 into a 3-series has been done already, by no less than the 'idiots' (your choice of words not mine) at Alpina. Let me introduce you to the e21 Alpina B6 2.8. Alpina crammed a 2.8L m30 into the nose of an e21 3-series. It put out 200 hp, more than any stock e21 at the time. I should know because a friend of mine in Las Vegas owns one.

If it would make sense and fit into a smaller 3 series 12 years older than the e36, why not?

That being said, there are three e36 cars I would never consider for this swap: nothing newer than a 93, no obd ii cars, and for the love of God, please don't molest an original m3 with this swap.

Why would you agree to replace a 170 hp m20 with a 189 hp 181 pound feet of torque m50 to gain just 19hp, when you can swap in an m30 to get 211 hp and 225 pound feet of torque with an m30?

Best of all, there's another compelling reason for an m30 swap? How about a timing CHAIN instead of having to change out a timing BELT every two years or 30,000 miles.

But best of all, if you really want to put your insanity on display, swap in an M60/M62 V8. They're all over the place and are even shorter than either the M20 or the M5x engines. 282 hp and 326 pound feet of torque. Grab the braking system off an e32 or e38 750il and you are all set.

By the way last but not least, the other e36 that just CRIES out for a power boost from any source is the 318ti. 142 hp out of an m44? Seriously?? Nuf said. Enjoy.

Happy hunting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well ,,, on Bimmerforums an E36 owner is putting a S38B36 in to his car,, that is also not the best idea IMO when the M/S5x series is laying all around ,, and the S54 is an engine that is really powerful and fits direct in,, the main problem with Big Block IL6 .. like S38 and M30 is the oilsump,, but you are talking about the BMW v8 engine, they are great,, but nothing compared to a LS swap,,, thats the engine that rules the world at the moment,, and for a reason,, VERY cheap,, extremely light and compact,, the LS+T56 swap in to an E30 is 50 lbs more in weight vs M20+G260/5,, and huge inside with so much potential,,,

But anyone who owns a car can put whatever he likes to do in to his engine bay,, thats why i putted a V12 M70B50 and Getrag 560 6g in to my E30 cabrio,, i had a S38B38 + G280 before,, and the car is equal in weight with v12 ,, keep in mind that the G560 vs G280 is 45 lbs more in weight,,so the S38B38 is Leviathan in weight
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Despite the cost per hp appeal of chevy lsx swaps into bmws, dont be deceived into thinking the swap only costs that of the hardware and mechanical labor. This is NOT a drop in swap and it is NOT plug and play with the oem systems. It involves some cutting of the frame, welding for the mounts, not to mention lots of rewiring work to get it to work with your e36 cluster and electronics.

It should also be said that these crossbrand swaps tend to lower the car's resale value (if you care about that) and are generally viewed with greater skepticism by buyers, as there is generally no supported maintenance documention, and most reputable professional shops generally won't touch these bastardized vehicles lacking any documentation whatsoever and generally cant be used with the oem documentation or diagnostic equipment.

Lastly if this conversion is done by someone or by an undrground shop lacking mechanical skills (cheap wiring, bad welds) leading to a catastophic failure of the car's structure resulting in serious injury or death to the car's new buyer, you could even get sued.

Crossbrand conversions are probably not the place to go if you can't afford to have it done right by professionals.

By comparsion, an M60/M62 swap probably involves a lot less welding and fabrication, and aside from a custom driveshaft, can be done almost exclusively with original bmw components. 282 hp is probably not in same class hp wise as an lsx swap, but its probably a lot easier and less likely to be viewed with skepticism by the next buyer.
    Last edited by bcweir; 02-09-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12