Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Going for lighter wheels. How does this look?

After tracking my car a few times I an upgrading my ride for the coming season.
    With my JB4 and a bigger FMIC I have no complaints about power.
    But obvious flaws sofar for the 135i were mainly grip and brakes.
    After a few hard track laps the brakes will overheat, causing me at least to overshoot some corners.
    So I got myself a set of Performance brake disks, which still have to prove themselves. And Stainless braking lines for firmness and consistency.
    Next on my wishlist are lighter wheels with better rubber.
    The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 rears are not cutting it gripwise, and the RE050A, well I don't really want to talk about those... Best to say about those are they are gone.
    In now have original BMW BBS rims, which are to me very beautifull, but F*ck in heavy.
    So I was asking around, and @UsualSuspect advised APEX ARC-8 wheels, which are light, but I don't really like the center part and the flatness of this rim.
    So I kept looking, and found Forgestar F14's. They are equally light, and with Michelin Pilot Super Sports they will do the business I think. Not quite sure about the looks though.
    What do you think?

Old look:

Click here to enlarge

New look:

Click here to enlarge

I still have to have them shipped from the USA, including tires, for Michelin does not supply in Europe in 235x40ZR18 nor 265x35ZR18, but that is just finance...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Good decision. the F14's look great. However, those are some heavy wheels.
    I recommend Advan RZ's on 1-Series, not sure why but they only look good on 1-Series. Light weight and good look.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    However, those are some heavy wheels.
    18" 8.5 (front) weighs 17.6lbs
    18" 9.5 (rear) weighs 18.4lbs
    That's not really heavy? Could not find lighter rims tat look good and are available for overseas shipping...
    Compared to my BBS rims I probably lose 7lbs+ per corner minus some weight for wider tire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    18" 8.5 (front) weighs 17.6lbs
    18" 9.5 (rear) weighs 18.4lbs
    Hmmm. I thought they were much heavier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Not according to Modbargains.com.
    In all fairness I made them look more like 19".
    This is a polished up look of how it would actually look. And yes, they would be in Gunmetal color.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DavidV; 01-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Had forgestars - they are SUPER light compared to my stockers. . .if memory served me correctly, saved over 30 pounds all the way around - I really didn't notice any difference in acceleration but the difference in braking and handling was quite noticable - not only with turning but with suspension action as a result of losing the unsprung weight (and that was in 19's). . .I personally got rid of them because I thought the look for a benz was too "tuner-ish" and I didn't like the fact I had to use hubentric rings but I personally think the F14 design was tailor made for BMW's. I think that combined with the rubber you're talking about, they will be almost perfect for your stated purposes. . .I wish I would have gone gunmetal but here they are in brushed titanium

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Good decision. the F14's look great. However, those are some heavy wheels.
    I recommend Advan RZ's on 1-Series, not sure why but they only look good on 1-Series. Light weight and good look.
    Click here to enlarge
    These do look awesome as well.

Both are better than the old look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I recommend Advan RZ's on 1-Series, not sure why but they only look good on 1-Series
    The 9.5 rear rim is not available in the right offset for the tirewidth I am going for. Need an offset ET value of 62 or close to it for 265 or even 275 width tire...
    Actually, no 9.5J at all.
    And 265 or 275 on a 9J rim (_) ...
    Also no clue what offset to use if going for 9J on the rear tires

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Do it! They look WAY better!

I wish the factory M3 GTS rims were lighter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I really like the second - it fits the car. It has a little Acura TL-S look to it, but still looks agressive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I was affraid this would become a problem.
    Frankly, getting stuff send from the US to Europe is a huge PITA.Click here to enlarge
    Michelin is absolutely blocking secondary import from USA available tiresizes through all import channels.

So if I want to stay 18" I eather have to export them from the US, or choose a different tire...
    Unfortunately you are not allowed to ship wheels by mail as a whole through customs, probably due to drugs smugling...
    So every tire has to be send separately. This turns out to be a very costly thing to do. For now, and every new tire I would need.
    The other option would be to send everything thrue a freight service as LCL containerfreight. Also expensive Click here to enlarge

My last option is to forget light 18"and go for 19" rims, in which case the tire sizes for the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are available in every size I need.
    Then I can put Toyo R888 on my current rims and use these for trackdays, as I really want the PSS tire for my daily driving.
    No weight advantage, but at least more grip on the street and on the track.
    At least the 19"Forgestars would probably be 3lbs lighter then my current 18" original BBS rims.

You guys in the US have all the nice options for our cars Click here to enlarge

I am thinking 19"now, but will have to sleep on this some more...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

why do you need to run michelin pilot super sports in the first place? Not the greatest tire out there by any means.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    why do you need to run michelin pilot super sports in the first place? Not the greatest tire out there by any means.
    I had a great experience with the PS2 at the time, hooking and cornering. Not liking the PS3 much though, although my torque figures have doubled since my PS2 days with my 328...
    The PSS came out top of the list on some reliable tire tests lately.

What tire would you recommend that would be available in Europe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well, I have no idea what is available there and what isn't. I guess my point is any tire by a major manufacturer in a similar category and and wear rating are going to be very similar. Differences would only be apparent when pushing to the limit on a track.

That being said. Goodyear F1s, Nitto 555s and Yokohama Advan Neovas tend to always come out at the top of comparisons. And above the PS2 in the comparos I have seen. So if you can get any of those locally.

First decently executed review google brought up.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/yokohama-advan-neova-ad07-page-10
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Well, I have no idea what is available there and what isn't. I guess my point is any tire by a major manufacturer in a similar category and and wear rating are going to be very similar. Differences would only be apparent when pushing to the limit on a track.

That being said. Goodyear F1s, Nitto 555s and Yokohama Advan Neovas tend to always come out at the top of comparisons. And above the PS2 in the comparos I have seen. So if you can get any of those locally.
    Of what you name only Goodyear F1's are available here. Only the Asymetric 2 "performance"wise, not the wide choice you have available.
    Nitto 555's are average at best (performance rating: traction A and temperature A ) and not available here also.
    Most of the tires available in the USA with high/ultra performance do not have an E4 certification, and thus they are not available in Europe.

So I tend to go for the best available, with some trial and error every now and then.
    But unless you are working for a tire test facility there is no way around that.
    IMHO the Michelin PSS is the best tire available right now, so I'm homing in on those.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Of what you name only Goodyear F1's are available here. Only the Asymetric 2 "performance"wise, not the wide choice you have available.
    Nitto 555's are average at best (performance rating: traction A and temperature A ) and not available here also.
    Most of the tires available in the USA with high/ultra performance do not have an E4 certification, and thus they are not available in Europe

So I tend to go for the best available, with some trial and error every now and then.
    But unless you are working for a tire test facility there is no way around that.
    IMHO the Michelin PSS is the best tire available right now, so I'm homing in on those.
    You are reading traction ratings wrong. Traction ratings are based on wet track braking performance. So all of the best dry surface extreme performance tires have lower traction ratings (A instead of AA usually). What is a good indicator in this situation is to take treadwear into account as well, in general the lower tread wear means softer compound = more traction. But really it is best to read some unbiased reviews because the entire tire design can affect performance in ways that can't be seen from the rating. You might want to relook at your options there.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Actually there are only a few options for high performance tires available.
    The ones that really have excelent grip and handling in both dry and wet conditions.
    The choices are very limited. There are a few more if I'd switch to semi-slicks, but that really is not an option in this local climate.
    And the sizes in which they are available is another limiting factor.
    They are mostly available for high end cars only. Ant they tend to have bigger tires, and bigger rims as well.
    So tires here are only offered in a very limited size range.
    And, like Michelin, the manufacturers block import from in the US available sizes, due to "marketing strategies".
    I think, after carefull considderation, that I will go for the 18" light wheel option, and for now settle with PS2's or F1 Asymetric 2's.
    I hate it when manufacturers restrict my choices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I hate it when manufacturers restrict my choices.
    They want to control the market, what can you do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Negative, at the highest performance level tires specialize. I can see why you would want wet and dry performance (especially in many parts of Europe, I live where it rains every other day as well) but you will get better dry performance with a dedicated dry tire. Go read about the way the ratings work. The traction rating ONLY applies to wet braking performance.

Like I said before, check some comparos

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

The PS2 got last place........
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The PS2 got last place........
    Mmm, have you even read that test?
    PS2's were second in wet, and 5th in dry. Only one tire beat the PS2, and that was the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

The rest of the top dry performers in that test were unpredictable at best in wet conditions.
    And you guessed it, this Dunlop tire does not have an E4 certification. So is unavailable.
    And I allready had the PS2 on my previous car, and they perform very well on a RWD car.
    They were my 1st choice when Bridgestone stopped making the Potenza S03. Actually my 2nd choice, because I first had the RE050a, of which the tire salesman sweared they were equally good as the Potenza S03. Boy, did I regret that.
    I dumped those for the PS2.
    PS2's are very predictable, steer precise, brake well, and have near equal performance in wet and dry. When they do give, it is gradual and predictable. As a bonus they are quiet, do not wear off quick and are not too heavy.
    They just lack a little in the traction department, where I wanted to step up my game. But if no other option available, I'll settle for these.
    Like I said, not much options available. I would gladly have the S03 if Bridgestone would start making them again.
    I hear the S04 is not up to a par with that tire.
    Eco demands in thread noise and fine dust starts to impact sport tire performance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well....you seem very determined to stick with the few you have tried. So do what your gonna do. Not sure why you ask if you aren't going to even bother learning what the ratings you refer to mean. There is a reason it got last in that review now isn't there? And that isn't the only review out there. Good Luck.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

There is a reason it got last in that review now isn't there?
    Not even sure what to say to you there.
    It didn't come last in the test. It was the benchmark, and they tested 9 other tires against the benchmark.
    It was second best in wet, after the Dunlop, as I stated before, and 5th in dry conditions.
    At the risk of copying the entire test, here's a small portion:
    After which, we were understandably surprised that the pricey PS2s didn’t dominate the dry portion of the test, finishing only midpack in both autocross time and braking. Geswein thought excessive understeer held back the lap times. Still, the PS2s pulled an above-average 0.92 g on the skidpad and exhibited a very sure-footed, predictable demeanor. Unlike most of the other tires, the PS2s were responsive to steering inputs at the limit and would tuck back in nicely after their grip was exceeded. Another positive is pleasant ride quality, noted in the street-driving portion.
    In the wet, the benchmark PS2s showed their mettle, feeling the most connected to the road and reeling in the quickest lap time—beating the Ling Longs’ dry time—and generating a heady 0.88 g on the skidpad, which was as high as two of the competitors’ best efforts in the dry. The PS2s’ wet performance was certainly impressive, but we’d like more dry capability from an expensive summer tire
    And as I stated, the best competitors in this test are not available in Europe due to lack of European regulation E4 certification.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I had a trackday last friday.
    My new wheels are 3 weeks away according to Forgestar, and someone is trying to get me a set op Pilot Super Sports imported from the US.
    I just hope these front tires will last me this 3 to 4 weeks...
    They are pretty much shot.

Click here to enlarge

I pretty much drove the letters off the sidewall Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DavidV; 03-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Hehe, those are indeed pretty much shot Click here to enlarge

Which track did you attend?

Looks like you have quite some understeering going on if the letters get rubbed away on the sidewalls. What suspension mods are on your car? The M3 bits and camber plates will help with this and improve driving pleasure alot! With a good set of coilovers of course.

Can't wait to get on the track again! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Hehe, those are indeed pretty much shot Click here to enlarge

Which track did you attend?

Looks like you have quite some understeering going on if the letters get rubbed away on the sidewalls. What suspension mods are on your car? The M3 bits and camber plates will help with this and improve driving pleasure alot! With a good set of coilovers of course.

Can't wait to get on the track again! Click here to enlarge
    I was at Zandvoort last friday. 8C outside so no overheating at all Click here to enlarge
    It is not so much from the understeer, it is that this track layed out in the dunes has some very high speed righthand turns, which really overheats the left front. Well, it does understeer at 100mph getting onto the straight...
    I have no suspension mods besides a Cusco strut bar to get rid of the front flex.
    My RE050a's were pretty much worn allready, but this put an end to my trackday after only 3 sessions...
    My fastest lap there was this one:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast