Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Will Piggyback Tunes Solve Issues With Lag In New ISTA Software Updates?

I just went in to the dealer yesterday to get my i-drive updated, and came back today to find that the dealer updated everything in the car wiping my original 02/2007 software. I am now getting lag until about 2500 or so rpm.

I have read that there is a wastegate retrofit option that the tech can enable on some newer software, but don't know if this applies to 2.37+. If it doesn't, i feel kinda screwed. That is unless a tune can fix it.

Since some of the tunes can control wastegate duty cycle directly, will they fix the lag that has been introduced? I miss being at low rpm and just punching the gas and taking off.

Cheers,

-Paul

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry has adjustable lag-fix that works amazingly well with his JB3 piggyback...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes no problem with the JB3. We pull those wastegates close to build a little boost during cruise. Just like the old software used to to, only we do more of it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeI just got back from the dealer after complaining about the lag from the latest software. They said that my car qualified (built late 07) for a re adjustment if the new software was creating a lag. Apparently they are trying to quiet down the wastegates by keeping them open all the time or something and I said I didn't mind a little clap every now and then. If you don't mind the sound ( which I personally never had till they upgraded) then they will remove the wastgate fix from your update. Only certain cars qualify but mine did! I had to turn my throttle and PID settings back down because I have the old rocket back againClick here to enlarge

Terry did an awesome job of tuning around it with the JB3... I had to turn that baby back down a few notches since the service.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    +1, I am on the newest software on ym E90, stock it has more lag than m E92 335i 07 software, but once i installed the JB3 with a lagfix map, it worked perfectly!!! Honestly cant drive around wtihout the Jb3 anymore Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So it looks like some people are still having success getting the wastegate retrofit done. I left a message for my SA and told him about it including the bulletin number, and he said he would have the tech look into it. The issue was that the bulletin that has the fix for the software update is at the bottom of the bulletin for the original wastegate rattle fix software update. We'll see if they are good to me. I hope.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Keep us posted. Hope your SA is good to you man.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    running grand.....new firmware for jb3 magically stopped my vanos codes. I could make the car code on q and now, well im probably bragging a bit early. Back to dealer for vanos system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update: My service advisor ok'd the wastegate retrofit option as my cars build date falls within the dates that are acceptable. My appointment is Wednesday morning. I'll keep you guys posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update: just got my car back last night. Wastegate retrofit definitely helped considerably. I don't know if as torquey as pre 29.x I used to have, but it definitely spools earlier than it did without the retrofit software update applied. Definitely worth getting if you can and don't have a tune to solve the issue aftermarket.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How do u know if u qualify?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pentaxis Click here to enlarge
    Update: My service advisor ok'd the wastegate retrofit option as my cars build date falls within the dates that are acceptable. My appointment is Wednesday morning. I'll keep you guys posted.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    How do u know if u qualify?
    See above?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One thing I noticed after the retrofit is the exhaust not returned to its normal quieter self at idle and low rpm cruise. This is because the turbo isn't being bypassed due to wastegates being open any longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is the TSB: http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm

The specific part is about halfway down the page. Build dates prior to 09/07 are eligible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just had the lag issue after the software update. Just got the car back after arguing that I needed the WG conversion option done (MY 4/07). The tech overlooked that part of the SIB and even told me " You don't need it, you have the latest software update." Finally, after getting the service manager and shop foreman involved, it was re-done with the conversion option. Car feels great. No more lag for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by faded67 Click here to enlarge
    I just had the lag issue after the software update. Just got the car back after arguing that I needed the WG conversion option done (MY 4/07). The tech overlooked that part of the SIB and even told me " You don't need it, you have the latest software update." Finally, after getting the service manager and shop foreman involved, it was re-done with the conversion option. Car feels great. No more lag for me.
    A bit ridiculous you had to go that far to get what you were supposed to have anyway. What dealership was this and who was the tech?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale