Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: RWD is slow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No

    RWD is slow

    What makes a fast car? Easy. Four wheel drive. I was just driving my RWD and all AWDs were a lot quicker. There is no more than a couple of inches fresh snow on top of the somewhat ice roads. I just changed my winter tires to ones with spikes and narrow rubber (205 wide), it helped a lot. Having these tires and AWD would be the perfect combination.

    I can switch +150 whp on and off, but it doesn't have any impact. Power without control is nothing.

    Why are M-cars slow? Why doesn't BMW make fast M-cars from factory? I think the cars with a lot of power should be available in xi form. Otherwise, the power is useless.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,236
    Rep Points
    6,785.2
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like you are ready for an Audi Quattro...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Indeed, Quattro is even slightly better in putting the power down than xi.
    I don't think Audi has an efficient turbo engine though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,771
    Rep Points
    31,787.9
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    What makes a fast car? Easy. Four wheel drive. I was just driving my RWD and all AWDs were a lot quicker. There is no more than a couple of inches fresh snow on top of the somewhat ice roads. I just changed my winter tires to ones with spikes and narrow rubber (205 wide), it helped a lot. Having these tires and AWD would be the perfect combination.

    I can switch +150 whp on and off, but it doesn't have any impact. Power without control is nothing.

    Why are M-cars slow? Why doesn't BMW make fast M-cars from factory? I think the cars with a lot of power should be available in xi form. Otherwise, the power is useless.
    This is like calling a GT3 slow just because it can't hang in the snow. It makes no sense.

    BMW makes the cars RWD because AWD is boring in comparison and offers less driver throttle correction. Audi's never drive like BMW's, they can't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is like calling a GT3 slow just because it can't hang in the snow. It makes no sense.

    BMW makes the cars RWD because AWD is boring in comparison and offers less driver throttle correction. Audi's never drive like BMW's, they can't.
    You haven't experienced real fun and real throttle correction. RWD is fun, but AWD is double the fun.


    GT3 is slow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    line up against a weistec m156 , boosted m3, or a modded cts-v and tell me they are slow...u make no sense...unless your just talking about snow

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Just send them over to the lake I posted above, so we can run against them with the Gallardo Click here to enlarge
    We can brush the snow away if you think it makes a difference Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Just send them over to the lake I posted above, so we can run against them with the Gallardo Click here to enlarge
    We can brush the snow away if you think it makes a difference Click here to enlarge
    nurburgring lap times

    your awd car is last on the list....boom /threadfail


    Viper ACR 7:12:13
    LFA 7:14:64
    ZR1 7:19:63
    GT-R 7:24:22

    and id rather drive ANY of the above cars over that GT-R...get in an ACR and tell me its not fun...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Monroe, NY
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    620.8
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    I think the OP is just talking about being slow in the snow... When comparing AWD to RWD in the snow there will be an issue of 'slowness'

    When comparing AWD to RWD in dry conditions, in *most* cases the RWD will be faster... I think the OP has a valid point (in messy, wet/snow conditions).

    Perhaps a rename of the thread would be good... like "RWD is slow in the Snow"
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

    2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    I think the OP is just talking about being slow in the snow... When comparing AWD to RWD in the snow there will be an issue of 'slowness'

    When comparing AWD to RWD in dry conditions, in *most* cases the RWD will be faster... I think the OP has a valid point (in messy, wet/snow conditions).

    Perhaps a rename of the thread would be good... like "RWD is slow in the Snow"

    thats what i asked but he implied that it didnt matter
    We can brush the snow away if you think it makes a difference
    if he says in the snow then i absolutely agree....if he says otherwise hes dead wrong....stock or modified point blank period

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Monroe, NY
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    620.8
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    The only caveat to that is the X5M, Cayenne Turbo, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (All AWD or 4WD) will be neck to neck with your RWD CTS-V... Click here to enlarge weighing almost twice your weight....

    0-60
    X5M: 4.5 sec
    Cayenne: 4.6 sec
    Jeep: 5.1 (actually this really sucks, don't know why i lumped them into this)...
    CTS-V 4.2
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

    2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    haha...absolutely...in the snow...let the come to a track and im sure it will be a completely different story Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    The only caveat to that is the X5M, Cayenne Turbo, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (All AWD or 4WD) will be neck to neck with your RWD CTS-V... Click here to enlarge weighing almost twice your weight....

    0-60
    X5M: 4.5 sec
    Cayenne: 4.6 sec
    Jeep: 5.1
    CTS-V 4.2

    but they will all fall off a cliff at the higher speeds because they are about as areodynamic as a brick

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    case in point...it was a nice try but im sure the cts-v will dispatch those sedans just as bad if not worse than that m3


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Monroe, NY
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    620.8
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Again, you have to look at the weight scales too...

    M3: 4586 (2.25 tons)
    CTS V: 5004 (2.5 tons)
    X5M: 6471 (3.25 tons)
    Cay: 6096 (3 tons)

    You have a weight advantage of over 1 ton in the M3 vs X5m race and would have a .50 - .75 ton weight advantage in the CTS-V to X5M and Cayenne... Every little bit counts... Sure they might out accelerate in the beginning, but your lighter weight will make up for that...
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

    2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    Again, you have to look at the weight scales too...

    M3: 4586 (2.25 tons)
    CTS V: 5004 (2.5 tons)
    X5M: 6471 (3.25 tons)
    Cay: 6096 (3 tons)

    You have a weight advantage of over 1 ton in the M3 vs X5m race and would have a .50 - .75 ton weight advantage in the CTS-V to X5M and Cayenne... Every little bit counts... Sure they might out accelerate in the beginning, but your lighter weight will make up for that...

    absolutely true...but in the end....on a track they would get annihilated....stock for stock or modded vs modded....i do give those things credit tho....they haul ass....but at the same time like i said "as aerodynamic as a brick"

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    one more....but im not gonna lie...that jeep HAULED ASS



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    My AWD car??What GT-R? Knowing cars would help Click here to enlargeBrushing the snow away on the lake... What do you think will be there?For those without sense of humour, the point is that in this very minute in the northern hemisphere many RWD cars are slow because of running winter tires or because of damp or even snowy road.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,655
    Rep Points
    -200.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like you are ready for an Audi Quattro...
    He really sounds like Footie!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    My AWD car??What GT-R? Knowing cars would help Click here to enlargeBrushing the snow away on the lake... What do you think will be there?For those without sense of humour, the point is that in this very minute in the northern hemisphere many RWD cars are slow because of running winter tires or because of damp or even snowy road.
    ^^thats all that needed to be said

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    I just feel frustrated with my RWD tuned bimmer. The tuning feels absolute waste most part of the time when the traction is less than perfect. Snowy days like these, AWDs drive by easily independent of the power they have. A nose heavy Mercedes I can beat easily though Click here to enlarge

    Talking seriously, World Rally Cars drive on public roads, and 2WD cars are far behind AWDs. There is no question about which one is quicker point-to-point on public roads on average.

    In a fast dry track RWD is far from slow.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I just feel frustrated with my RWD tuned bimmer. The tuning feels absolute waste most part of the time when the traction is less than perfect. Snowy days like these, AWDs drive by easily independent of the power they have. A nose heavy Mercedes I can beat easily though Click here to enlarge

    Talking seriously, World Rally Cars drive on public roads, and 2WD cars are far behind AWDs. There is no question about which one is quicker point-to-point on public roads on average.

    In a fast dry track RWD is far from slow.
    Traction is always the weakest link.

    This reminds me of a funny joke from back in the day.

    What does a 300 hp supra and a 600 hp have in common?

    They both run 13s.

    Haha, but yes AWD > RWD. I think 654 understands that with 100% traction power to weight will win, the problem is 100% traction is hard to get with RWD.

    For guys like me that live in sunny south florida and make less than 450 hp, RWD isn't too bad!!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,771
    Rep Points
    31,787.9
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    318


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    You haven't experienced real fun and real throttle correction. RWD is fun, but AWD is double the fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6F5a7uXPjo

    GT3 is slow.
    Did someone take over your account? How us the. Gt3 slow?

    Who races during snow storms?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,276
    Rep Points
    1,583.2
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Did someone take over your account? How us the. Gt3 slow?

    Who races during snow storms?
    not this guy<------ but obviously he does

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

    Who races during snow storms?
    Racing in the snow is the coolest thing in the world. The most fun that I can imagine.

    I think it might be because of cultural differences due to not having snow vs having snow, but there are a lot of people who don't consider driving straight in paved dry tarmac racing at all. I understand that even that can be considered as racing, but honestly I don't think it is as fun or as much racing as e.g. the snow stages below:







    The speed is just insane, and the slides and jumps are awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •