Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    as a matter of fact i dont have much blow by at all. near to none, really. ive had an OCC for a while, almost the length of the car (Mar '07 build). had Riss's first one but it started to sweat at the bottom, so i 'upgraded' to BSH's occ. since doing that, and because the BSH occ has a little dip-stick to check oil level (in the catch can), the stick has yet to show signs of oil. i mean literally, none. now im sure the stick doesnt reach the dead bottom of the container but still. so that tells me that i dont have much oil passing through my pcv, which is why i am excited to run the line to the downpipe. if i had a lot of oil coming through i'd smoke like crazy (after running the line) and i plain wouldnt feel right, i'd always suspect it was my turbo's going. since it's not the case i cannot wait as stated, should be going under the knife this friday.
    Oh, maybe I misread your post. If you don't have any blow by what makes you think the OCC is a problem? The BSH isn't an ideal design by any means but should be good enough to allow mostly normal operation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Oh, maybe I misread your post. If you don't have any blow by what makes you think the OCC is a problem? The BSH isn't an ideal design by any means but should be good enough to allow mostly normal operation.
    ok, i dont mind restating it, hopefully it can help a member down the line. the theory in my mind is the occ, actually any occ for that matter, creates an imbalance in crankcase pressure because of the added work of pushing through the extended lines and new reservoir. it has made my vacuum solenoids tick, actually more like a 'thunk' sounding similar to engine knock, just more subtle. but the 'engine knock' theory goes away once you realize it starts doubling its own frequency randomly until it becomes almost like a buzz. all of this at idle. as soon as the gas pedal is pressed and you go over idle (in gear or not) the sound abruptly disappears and as soon as the car returns to idle it starts either as the buzz or starts over ticking, or even doesnt come back until the next few stoplights! its really very strange, and a pretty unique problem, as i've never heard of anyone complain of this NVH. hopefully running the line to the downpipe will cure it. but if it doesn't for whatever reason, the engine will be moving freer anyway.

oh and for Rob: after making my reply to you, giving up the discussion, i forgot to mention wouldn't the new larger comp. wheel, although at the same pressure, be pushing more cfm (ofc keeping the turbine constant)? or maybe we'll find we're head limited. i remember seeing a head off an N54, the inlets are smaller than dimes!
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 01-25-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Not sure about your symptoms and how they correlate with the OCC at all. Personally I'd swap out your forge actuators for the OEM units, they operate in a fairly clunky fashion and are more likely the cause IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    At the same pressure ratio there will be no increase in CFM assuming all on turbine side is the same. Don't get me wrong I'd rather have the bigger compressor (to an extent) but only marginal gains will be had if the smaller wheel still maintained the pressure. The bigger wheel will get you to a nicer efficiency island on the map, and have a higher CFM potential to maintain higher boost pressures down the road.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

ok, i dont mind restating it, hopefully it can help a member down the line. the theory in my mind is the occ, actually any occ for that matter, creates an imbalance in crankcase pressure because of the added work of pushing through the extended lines and new reservoir. it has made my vacuum solenoids tick, actually more like a 'thunk' sounding similar to engine knock, just more subtle. but the 'engine knock' theory goes away once you realize it starts doubling its own frequency randomly until it becomes almost like a buzz. all of this at idle. as soon as the gas pedal is pressed and you go over idle (in gear or not) the sound abruptly disappears and as soon as the car returns to idle it starts either as the buzz or starts over ticking, or even doesnt come back until the next few stoplights! its really very strange, and a pretty unique problem, as i've never heard of anyone complain of this NVH. hopefully running the line to the downpipe will cure it. but if it doesn't for whatever reason, the engine will be moving freer anyway.

oh and for Rob: after making my reply to you, giving up the discussion, i forgot to mention wouldn't the new larger comp. wheel, although at the same pressure, be pushing more cfm (ofc keeping the turbine constant)? or maybe we'll find we're head limited. i remember seeing a head off an N54, the inlets are smaller than dimes!
    Hmm the OCC should not be related to that issue in any way. I'd first put a scope on the electrical signal going to the solenoid to see if the noise corresponds to a wacky frequency or duty cycle. I don't know what the PROcede runs but it should be 200-400hz. If that checks out OK then I'd connect a vacuum gauge post solenoid to monitor vacuum to the wastegates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Not sure about your symptoms and how they correlate with the OCC at all. Personally I'd swap out your forge actuators for the OEM units, they operate in a fairly clunky fashion and are more likely the cause IMO.
    interesting point. i'll look into it. as a matter of fact, asr has just now put into production the new, new actuators. piston type, like we discussed a little while back. i can assume when i get the new chra and new comp wheel/housing that they will also change the actuator to the new style.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Hmm the OCC should not be related to that issue in any way. I'd first put a scope on the electrical signal going to the solenoid to see if the noise corresponds to a wacky frequency or duty cycle. I don't know what the PROcede runs but it should be 200-400hz. If that checks out OK then I'd connect a vacuum gauge post solenoid to monitor vacuum to the wastegates.
    thanks for the friendly advice terry. i will test what you have stated as soon as im in contact with an oscilloscope. the vacuum check should be simple enough though.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

weird i don't recall ever hearing any noises with my car
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    weird i don't recall ever hearing any noises with my car
    yup and i didn't hear anything of the sort with your car while riding shotgun. i think it's a pretty unique problem, unfortunately for me. but when u drove with me did you ever hear it (it only happens at idle)? if not that just says how subtle it is.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

yup and i didn't hear anything of the sort with your car while riding shotgun. i think it's a pretty unique problem, unfortunately for me. but when u drove with me did you ever hear it (it only happens at idle)? if not that just says how subtle it is.
    I don't recall hearing any noise, but that was awhile ago
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12