Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Hello again! I'm back :)

Hello Bimmer Boost. It has been too long. And not the mention, I left abruptly with no notice that I would be away... totally not my usual style. But as I promised somewhere in the past threads, I'm not going anywhere Click here to enlarge And that certainly is true. I am very attached to BMW, especially my N54, and will continue to push the limits. If you guys want the semi-long story of where I've been and why I didn't even come back with the slightest of updates these past 2 months feel free to ask and I will explain.

Anyway, I decided to make this thread for a couple reasons. Number one reason is I still have yet to dyno (I know impossible in some of your guys' minds) and have yet to take an accurate log. Here's a good explanation as to why (and it happens to fill in a chunk of why I was away). If you guys can recall, my rear main seal failed and was replaced. Well the front also went (around the time I took a 'vacation' from the forums in trade for visiting family) and we didn't even realize until much later when we noticed oil on the lower trey and cross member. Turns out when I shredded my belt a couple pieces of the belt somehow lodged behind the crank pulley. And eventually wiggled their way under the front main seal. There were literally 3 pieces of debris from the old belt hanging through it, on both sides of the front main seal. I was unable to take a photo of that (I can get one if needed, it was taken by Chris, I left the car overnight so it was cool when work began, and I got there after the crank pulley was removed), but I do have photos of the debris and pieces out of the car, and of the mangled old front main seal. If asked I will happily provide them but I never intended this thread to be technical/helpful (although threads I create always seem to turn out that way), this is just a thread saying, "hey, I'm not dead, and I didn't sway from my N54 beliefs and love." Well, now that it is fixed I will log soon, actually as a matter of fact, I plan to go half-and-half with my 5.0 buddy and buy a vbox. As soon as we have it I'll make some runs and post the 'drfs'? here.

Oh something else to mention. If you can recall I was having weird 'NVH' at idle. It turned out to be the vacuum solenoids, at least where it was emanating from. We replaced them with new ones a while back, but the sound has returned in the following days. We now believe it is due to an excess in crank case pressure. We think that because of the external oil catch can, that reservoir is creating an imbalance in pressure. Our plan is to do what the race cars do. Delete my catch can (which will now be up for sale if anybody wants it lol) and run the out line directly to the downpipe. This is possible because the exhaust gas traveling down the downpipe will create a vacuum on the line and pull any oil or blow-by out. The only downside is it will puff smoke when ever some oil is introduced to the intense temperatures of the exhaust a couple feet from the turbine. The upside is a complete elimination of crank case pressures and it should in turn allow the engine to move freer. Anyone can do this mod, if there are any questions ask them here in this thread. I cannot wait to do this mod. It should result in a slight power gain on top of everything.

For those wondering I have no further word on the upgraded comp wheel. It is functioning on the ASR 1 but has not gone into production for a couple of reasons, mainly that they are changing the cartridge design around. I will cross that bridge when he lets me explain to the public. I look forward to the replies of welcome as well as technical questions and such. Happy very belated new years and I hope you all are having a blast with your German machines!
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Juan ( i know it's not your name lol ), welcome back Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just order a BMW OCC and then route the exit side to the downpipe if you must. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    welcome back...if you had dynos done i'd say i'm glad to have you back, without a log or a dyno, well, not so much Click here to enlarge just kidding..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not this shieet again! Lol. Two months vacation! Need to find a job like yours that I can take that much time off and not be missed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    welcome back...if you had dynos done i'd say i'm glad to have you back, without a log or a dyno, well, not so much Click here to enlarge just kidding..
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Not this shieet again! Lol. Two months vacation! Need to find a job like yours that I can take that much time off and not be missed
    haha i know... im just as disappointed in myself as im sure you guys are. i posted that i would dyno 'soon' and did not deliver. even my long outlook on 'soon' isn't as long as ive been saying i will to you guys. stuff comes up: priorities, problems, at the end of the day family comes first. now that im more free i will continue to monitor the forums when possible and be able to contribute and question where i can.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Hey Juan ( i know it's not your name lol ), welcome back Click here to enlarge

sorena, i have missed you, you have said the funniest things on the forum imo. im glad im back and can enjoy your humor once again.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Just order a BMW OCC and then route the exit side to the downpipe if you must. Click here to enlarge
    we'll see what we do. i will take pictures. it should happen late this week, Friday maybe. but the theory makes sense to you?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's just get a dyno!

and welcome back Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Let's just get a dyno!

and welcome back Click here to enlarge
    its definitely on my agenda. i want to get this crankcase pressure business worked out first. im actually glad the new larger comp wheel isn't available to the public yet as i wanted pre- and post numbers. and it looks like i should be able to get them. in my eyes a vbox run/file is nearly as good as a dyno, especially because you have real world airflow (not some $#@!ty house fan) and it has become credible enough and respected to be a valid show of power. if its not one it will be the other, and hopefully i can get both within a reasonable time schedule.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    sorena, i have missed you, you have said the funniest things on the forum imo. im glad im back and can enjoy your humor once again.

you want funny?....go read WHERE IS STICKY FRIGGEN CAR? thread....lol....and yes....sticky car is still not done....lmaoClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    we'll see what we do. i will take pictures. it should happen late this week, Friday maybe. but the theory makes sense to you?
    If you have a lot of blow by it might just be ring related. But if its been that way a long time, and the OCC you were using was too restrictive, then it makes sense to resolve that issue ASAP. Even stock is better than a restrictive OCC system.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome back.

As for the compressor wheel change unless their original selection was horrible (ie. airflow potential of the OEM wheel; which was not the case)... that update alone will not amount to anything noteworthy. Definitely not worth postponing your results for another year or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    you want funny?....go read WHERE IS STICKY FRIGGEN CAR? thread....lol....and yes....sticky car is still not done....lmaoClick here to enlarge
    really? he's still waiting? i feel for him now more than ever. what is the hold up? nm, ill just search for his thread.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    If you have a lot of blow by it might just be ring related. But if its been that way a long time, and the OCC you were using was too restrictive, then it makes sense to resolve that issue ASAP. Even stock is better than a restrictive OCC system.
    as a matter of fact i dont have much blow by at all. near to none, really. ive had an OCC for a while, almost the length of the car (Mar '07 build). had Riss's first one but it started to sweat at the bottom, so i 'upgraded' to BSH's occ. since doing that, and because the BSH occ has a little dip-stick to check oil level (in the catch can), the stick has yet to show signs of oil. i mean literally, none. now im sure the stick doesnt reach the dead bottom of the container but still. so that tells me that i dont have much oil passing through my pcv, which is why i am excited to run the line to the downpipe. if i had a lot of oil coming through i'd smoke like crazy (after running the line) and i plain wouldnt feel right, i'd always suspect it was my turbo's going. since it's not the case i cannot wait as stated, should be going under the knife this friday.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Welcome back.
    thank you george. i see your car is still running strong, congratz. i look forward to future updates from you. testing those turbos at altitude is great, pushing their limits.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Welcome back.

As for the compressor wheel change unless their original selection was horrible (ie. airflow potential of the OEM wheel; which was not the case)... that update alone will not amount to anything noteworthy. Definitely not worth postponing your results for another year or so.
    thank you rob, appreciate it. as for the comp wheel here's the scoop. the oem turbos have a specific ratio of turbine to compressor. the asr turbos increase the turbine wheel as well as the compressor, just like your set, except the compressor was not made as large as the turbine (in the same ratio). my feeling is it was engineered smaller because the limits of the engine/fueling were unknown (at the time of release). now that we know a helluva lot more than we did about the N54, modifications can be made to increase power potential. the new wheel matches the factory ratio of turbine to compressor which will result in more power than the ratio on sets out there today.

in fact i dont intend to postpone anything. im curious to see pre- and post comp wheel numbers, which means i gotta get my butt in gear and dyno soon after doing the catch can delete on Friday.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 01-24-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with you and that concept of a well matched compressor/turbine is fairly elementary. The only issue I still see is that I do not believe the ASR units were compressor limited (ie. dropping boost at redline) so as I've said any gains will be marginal if you only speak of a further enlarged compressor. Essentially all you are doing with a bigger compressor (as compared to another that is still able to move the air volume targeted) is moving it into a better efficiency range. This will help with intercooling, etc, but is not going to make a dramatic difference in power at the pressure ratios we have been limited to up to current.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    I agree with you and that concept of a well matched compressor/turbine is fairly elementary. The only issue I still see is that I do not believe the ASR units were compressor limited (ie. dropping boost at redline) so as I've said any gains will be marginal if you only speak of a further enlarged compressor. Essentially all you are doing with a bigger compressor (as compared to another that is still able to move the air volume targeted) is moving it into a better efficiency range. This will help with intercooling, etc, but is not going to make a dramatic difference in power at the pressure ratios we have been limited to up to current.
    no doubt you know more about thermodynamics, engine mechanics and so on (than me or anyone who's not an engineer), so i guess i'll just leave the discussion where it stands. time will tell if the upp'd wheel makes a difference or not. the vbox run and/or dyno will be the evidence. and like you said, the pressure will remain the same, under the 21psi MAP limit. that reminds me, where is Vishnu's 3bar MAP sensor lol?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    in my eyes a vbox run/file is nearly as good as a dyno
    Nearly as good isn't the same. We all want to see the curve. I know you will get around to it at some point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not what the thread is about. I know, I know, my car is taking forever. Does it really need to mentioned in every thread? You have like 3 on that same topic already.

When you start your build (when is it starting????) and things might not go as planned do you really want me reminding you every 5 seconds? Because I'll do it. Keep the N54 stuff in N54 and S65 in S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not what the thread is about. I know, I know, my car is taking forever. Does it really need to mentioned in every thread? You have like 3 on that same topic already.

When you start your build (when is it starting????) and things might not go as planned do you really want me reminding you every 5 seconds? Because I'll do it. Keep the N54 stuff in N54 and S65 in S65.

lol...you can ask me every week when my build starts...(planned for right after i get back form the texas mile in october) will only take about 2 months for engine build, trans, and tune....i have an edge over you simply because there are a TON of cars rolling around with a similar build but just in different cars...

and stop getting your panties in a bunch....jrcart and i are only busting your chops Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and stop getting your panties in a bunch....jrcart and i are only busting your chops
    No, now it is war. I shall destroy you. If not, at least sabotage your build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seriously, you must be a patient man. I would have sold the goddamn car by now... they would have picked the car up with the transmission in pieces, in an oil soaked box.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, now it is war. I shall destroy you. If not, at least sabotage your build.

lmao....guess im not disclosing who is doing my build....lol....or else ill be waiting as long as you....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Seriously, you must be a patient man. I would have sold the goddamn car by now... they would have picked the car up with the transmission in pieces, in an oil soaked box.
    I'll be looking back on this in 10 years when I'm married and probably have kids (I assume I will be $#@!ing my wife) working to support the woman who finally defeated me wishing I could go back to the days of complaining that building my supercharged V8 BMW was taking too long.

It's not a big deal guys, life could be worse. Once I stab that throttle for the first time it will all be forgotten.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Once I stab that throttle for the first time it will all be forgotten.
    ...Instantly replaced with the realization it will be another year to build the rear diff that just $#@! the bed. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    ...Instantly replaced with the realization it will be another year to build the rear diff that just $#@! the bed. LOL
    The rear end on the E92 is much more stout than the E46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast