Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

M156/M159 Forum Improvements

I figured if we want to dump worthless threads we should stop bumping the 60-130 thread....

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dodger63 Click here to enlarge
    The problem is we need something better to talk about, there really isn't much discussion going on here? We need more members and done more threads itsikr there are only about 10 Benz members that post frequently
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by propain Click here to enlarge
    Talk is the problem. We need more people DOING stuff and then talking about it... We also need to all get along...
    Agreed... so lets get some more people in here. What do you suggest? How can we get more people?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
    well maybe I won't post the same thread MBW or Private Lounge for a week and try to drive some peeps from over there to here. This is a cooler environment over here than MBW. I have not even logged into MBW in probably 2 weeks.
    I can do a teaser vid of the build and post it to you tube and at the end we can have it say go to www.benzboost.com for the full story then we can start a thread over there and post the vid...I think it would make it past the censors. Not to pat myself on the back but when I start a thread over there it gets hundreds or even thousands of hits in a day or two. Then we just need to be nice to the noobs when they get here LOL, so they stay.
    quite simple actually. INCENTIVES! Sticky needs to set up an incentive program for current members who bring in referals and an incentive program for new members as well as an anual incentive program for guys that post the most or participate the most. I know Sticky isn't raking in the big bucks from this site yet so paying for these "incentives" might be difficult but that's where the sponsors need to step in or Sticky need to solicate the vendors/sponsors to donate products or services for these incentives. It would be a win win for everyone, more traffic to the site means more people will see the sponsors banners and ads throughout the site. AMG Private lounge gives away little things from AMG hats and Tshirts to die-cast models and more, I received a beautiful limited edition numbered solid pewter CLK DTM sculpture/model a couple years ago. A monthly or quarterly "new member" prize to any new member with 10 or more posts would be cool and maybe an anual prize for the member with the most post and another prize for them member that refers the most new members would be nice....just some ideas.
    Like I said in a previous post, we have to be nice to the noobs. LZH ripped into me when I was a noob on MBW, but then I gave it right back to him. He ripped into me for modding my Black Series, he said I was ruining it LOL...then I let him drive it at Willow, he finally realized I didn't ruin it, we've been cool ever since.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Jim - I think that's a great idea and I hope you do it. I have a buddy (the guy you met with the 430) who is awesome editing videos and if you want him to do it just let me know. I think you saw his work when he did that Mojave mile video in his 997 Turbo S ? Anyway...you said you haven't been here in a few days so you probably missed Sticky venting his frustration and getting raked over the coals (once again) regarding these 60-130 threads, files, verification etc. He even said he would let Mthis handle doing the verifications because he's been so busy running this place.
    My point is this - he's probably just as put out as you are. So I'm sure after chasing some tail tonight he'll post here and have some input regarding your concerns. It's not a big deal but I do agree it's a bit childish and doesn't bode well for the M156 forum. Either way, this is a great place and it does indeed need more members.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You guys have to tell people. MBworld censoring is for exactly this reason to prevent people from posting here.

The M156 section is actually getting pretty popoular and is currently the 3rd most popular motor forum on the network despite not being up as long as the others.
    I can give away a product of some sort, I did that early on with the BMW side.

You guys get rep incentives for referrals and for participation but if that isn't enough I can do more.

I can't exactly give away a Weistec SC though.
    sticky, I don't need or want any prizes or incentives, all I am saying is that it might be a way to draw new members and more importantly to get them to participate and post regularly. I have 3 friends that are members here and between the three of them I think they have a total of 10 posts. I don't have to tell you that more members means more threads and more replys to threads. I think a system that rewarded participation would pay for itself. I have no idea how these forums work but I would assume that when you are pitching a prospective new sponsor you show them some details regarding total number of members, visits per day and posts per day, right? I know if you were pitching me for sponsorship money I would be most interested in visits perday and posts perday bechase the people logging in more frequently and talking the time to read and also post are the people that would notice my banner and take the time to click on it or read it. At the end of the day you need members to get sponsors but without the sponsors the site can't grow...kinda a catch 22.

I'm not telling you how to run things, you've grown the site nicely in just the year or so that I have been here. I am just throwing out some ideas to try to pick up and keep some new members and more importantly get them to actually post. I see "let's welcome. So and so" threads all the time yet I NEVER see so and so posting anywhere....participating is key, reward them for participating and that's the answer to lots of new traffic.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dodger63 Click here to enlarge
    You can't promote something that has no benifit to the person, I tell someone new to come here guy says he's got a lambo and a cls, he happens to be 19 lzh is going to call b/s then start in about daddy buying him the cars, who really cares, its another member that's posting and drawing mote people in to talk and discuss,, as of now I wouldn't suggest this site to anyone most people don't like to get abused for sharing info
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama Click here to enlarge
    Highest Rep Point to Post count percentage. 100 post minimum....
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cpais Click here to enlarge
    I feel like this forum is a small group of enthusiasts that has had an axe to grind with other forums so they came here. I enjoy some of the banter so I come here and read it, but as a potential sponsor I have yet to be convinced that I should be spending money here. It really is amazing how much forum adverstising costs. Before you know it you will be spending several thousand dollars a month in forum sponsorship if you really want to get some good coverage across multiple forums. I really do not understand how some people can afford to do it.

To take advantage of forum sponsorship I think you need a dedicated team of people (maybe 2-3) that just go on the forums and sell. The problem that I have with that is finding some decent talent for the job at the right price, that will be in it with you for the long haul. Finding a young person (I think the nature of this type of selling calls for a young person) that wants to do this job is easy. They will come in and be enthusiastic and really be interested in the job. Young people don't usually have what it takes to be a good salesperson yet. They will find some great customers but they will also, most likely, alienate just as many people. There is a good chance that they will get bored of the job and move on after 6 months and then you need to fill the position again. The new person is never going to get the original customers that were alienated he will also lose some of the customers that the last guy found. It's just the nature of this business.

With all that being said, I find that I can sponsor a couple of forums, maintain a presence on them, sell some parts and try and offer the best customer service that I possibly can to my customers on there. MBWorld, even though it is a sore subject on here, has provided me a decent avenue to do that. I do not really know what types of products I would try and sell on here so I have not stepped up and become a sponsor. I like the idea behind the forum but I think that it lacks something that is needed to attract a sponsor like me into it. I hope that you clean it up or figure out what it is that is needed here because I would like to play a larger part here one day.

Good luck with the place and I am looking forward to what you have in store for the future.
    Great post. I agree with all your points. I even thought of advertising on here at one point even though it wouldnt be for the car market just for the exposure. I realized pretty quick this isnt my target market.

MBW isnt as bad anymore and the mods have really loosened their grip. I enjoy this site but for a very different reason. The drama and entertainment factor. While its fun for us I dont believe it has a big appeal for the sponsors. The only thing that has ever made me think about using a product on this forum are the articles that Joe writes on RENNtech and some others that sponsor here. I thing that brought me here quite honestly was MHP and the debates with Andy and OE. Maybe a few other drama stories that were taboo on MBW also.

I believe the appeal of this forum is the very thing that is holding it back as well. Dare I say more moderation is needed and more delegation of responsibilities.
    I think the 100 rep points is too high personally, people should get to give rep after 50 rep pointsor after a month or so of posting and being on good behavior. Trust me, I know the rep system has it's place and prevents D bags from joinging the site and $#@!ing $#@! up but like I said before I have a few friends that have belonged to this site for several months (one close to a year) and have each posted a handful of times, never caused any trouble but still can not fully participate or even give positive Rep. That's a flaw in design IMO
    I agree. You should be able to rep right away or soon after you join. How bad would it be anyhow to give +1 rep power to someone right away? Pretty much the case with any of us except the top dogs. Our rep "power" is really worthless once someone gets up there in rep points. It would take everyone here 2 years to rep sticky to the point where he couldnt post anymore. The rep system is good but moderation is also needed on thie site as well.
    Tune only 60-130: 8.57
    Tune only 1/4 mile record: 11.531 @ 122.12

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I figured if we want to dump worthless threads we should stop bumping the 60-130 thread....
    Good point...here's another BUMP LOL. Maybe Sticky should pull off the last two pages of posts and start a new thread call "The Benzboost Suggestion Box"
    Click here to enlarge

1000+WHP WEISTEC 2008 CLK63 Black Series
    790WHP WEISTEC 2012 C63 Black Series
    725WHP WEISTEC 2014 SLS Black Series

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking about starting a new thread with my post but I didnt want it to come across that I was speaking negatively about the forum. I just wanted to add some input to a discussion taht has already begun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    First thing I suggest is we fire Sticky...the guy doesn't even have a car Click here to enlarge

....Just kidding Sticky.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My ideas, as I already stated include some sort of incentive or prize system. This system could award for the following categories.

New Member Referals

Most Active Memeber (based on monthly or quartlery post count)

New Member of the Month/Quarter (to qualify you must be a new member and average at least 1 post per day for your first full month of membership)

Thread Of The Month (not sure how we could gauge this, maybe by vote or thread with most posts???)

Member Of The Year (again, not sure how to gauge this one votes? post count?)

Prizes could range from Hats and -T shirts from sponsort to Visa Gift cards to product and services donated from sponsors/vendors.

AMG private lounge gives away everything from T-shirts to Race tickets, Auto Show tickets, AMG Driving academy addmission, right now they are giving away special VIP tickets to the Cigarette/AMG Miami Boat Show. Obviously AMG has a slightly higher budget than Sticky but just wanted to show Sticky what some other forums are doing.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think that just offering a well mediated forum that is clean and informative is a great start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think that just offering a well mediated forum that is clean and informative is a great start.
    For sure. I'm actually glad this forum isn't very "commercial" yet, like Bimmerpost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good point...here's another BUMP LOL. Maybe Sticky should pull off the last two pages of posts and start a new thread call "The Benzboost Suggestion Box"
    There is a suggestion box, it's called the forum related section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking about starting a new thread with my post but I didnt want it to come across that I was speaking negatively about the forum. I just wanted to add some input to a discussion taht has already begun.
    You can't create threads anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    New Member Referals
    We already do this: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...eferral-System

Most Active Memeber (based on monthly or quartlery post count)
    We already do this as shown on the front page and with the stats in the forum index.

Thread Of The Month (not sure how we could gauge this, maybe by vote or thread with most posts???)
    On the top 10 stats you can change it to show the top 10, 20, 50, 100, etc. most popular threads.

Member Of The Year (again, not sure how to gauge this one votes? post count?)
    I do a yearly awards article.

AMG private lounge gives away everything from T-shirts to Race tickets, Auto Show tickets, AMG Driving academy addmission, right now they are giving away special VIP tickets to the Cigarette/AMG Miami Boat Show. Obviously AMG has a slightly higher budget than Sticky but just wanted to show Sticky what some other forums are doing.
    Shirts and stickers are a great idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This forum is very informative and the front page is updated much more frequently with far more interesting articles than say MBworld but if you are looking to tone it down or clean it up it isn't going to happen. This is ultimately a place for enthusiasts first and foremost and if that costs me sponsors or money so be it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    For sure. I'm actually glad this forum isn't very "commercial" yet, like Bimmerpost.
    Thank you, you get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You should have included my responses. And this isn't the right section for this, you post forum questions, issues, concerns, and suggestions here: http://www.germanboost.com/forumdisp...s-and-Feedback

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can't create threads anyway.
    Well, there you go, I'm glad I didn't try. I would be sitting there trying to figure out why my computer illiterate brain couldn't make my fingers figure out how to do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you, you get it.
    Please keep it that way. I don't want to have to make my own BMW forum. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow......... things are never too reluctant to take a turn south around here. I can't believe I missed that much drama in only 2 days. There is at least 20+ pages of posts that I haven't even got to yet Click here to enlarge We should definitely think about turning this section into a reality show.
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey, more traffic for benz the better. Ive been thinking about getting into that side of the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, there you go, I'm glad I didn't try. I would be sitting there trying to figure out why my computer illiterate brain couldn't make my fingers figure out how to do it.
    The error page tells you why you can't Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Buy BMW's.