Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Effect of upgraded turbos on oil temps?

I would like to enquire about the effect of upgraded turbos on engine oil temps. I've seen mixed posts about this, where some invoque a 10C increase whereas others notice no difference Click here to enlarge In theory, these turbos are more effcient than stockers. On the other hand, more power would result in more heat.

With more and more cars running RBs and other upgrades, it would be interesting to get some testimonials. Especially when running without meth which would possibly "hide" an increase in generated heat.

Main reason I'm asking is because on a racetrack the cooling capacity of my car is sometimes on the limit. I've already invested my fair share of $$$ in cooling upgrades, and I wouldn't want to open Pandora's box when switching to upped turbos, e.g. dealing with more issues down the road Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

i havent seen any difference in oil temps before / after turbo upgrade.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    I would like to enquire about the effect of upgraded turbos on engine oil temps. I've seen mixed posts about this, where some invoque a 10C increase whereas others notice no difference Click here to enlarge In theory, these turbos are more effcient than stockers. On the other hand, more power would result in more heat.

With more and more cars running RBs and other upgrades, it would be interesting to get some testimonials. Especially when running without meth which would possibly "hide" an increase in generated heat.

Main reason I'm asking is because on a racetrack the cooling capacity of my car is sometimes on the limit. I've already invested my fair share of $$$ in cooling upgrades, and I wouldn't want to open Pandora's box when switching to upped turbos, e.g. dealing with more issues down the road Click here to enlarge
    1. Only when you use power above stock turbo limit some more heat is generated. However, thermostat compensates for it by opening more, so you don't see increased oil temps generally speaking.
    2. Don't be confused about "the cooling upgrades". There are tens of places where you can measure temps and cooler somewher means hotter somewhere else. So e.g. meth does not hide oil temp increase because the cooler IAT, the more power and the more heating of oil.

What do you mean by being at the limit? You mean that you have ran into the cooling capacity of oil cooler so that the fully open thermostat is not able to keep the oil temp within the BMW specified operating range? What oil temps have you recorded?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean by being at the limit? You mean that you have ran into the cooling capacity of oil cooler so that the fully open thermostat is not able to keep the oil temp within the BMW specified operating range? What oil temps have you recorded?
    When tracking the car in hot summer days last year, I had to deal with reduced power due to hot oil and/or water temps. At that time my car was equipped with the factory oilcooler and the AR Design oil cooler in front of the radiator. I then replaced the factory OC with the ER Sports Series OC. This helped reduce oil temps alot and keep them below 130C at all times. However water temps were still inducing power reduction after a few laps. The next step is then to add the additional water radiator from the OEM Performance Power Kit, which shall be done next month. That's about all I can do for cooling, besides upgrading the factory radiator to an all-aluminium one.

Point is, when I upgrade turbos I want to enjoy the added power at the track also, without bothering about operating temps all the time, needing to short-shift etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

^ That's good to know Click here to enlarge

Which turbos do you run? RBs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

loba motorsport td04

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    loba motorsport td04
    Very interesting. I didn't know about this upgrade, just found their website: http://www.loba-motorsport.com/produ...70p-turbolader Looks like they also upgrade the wastegastes! Looks like a good option for us Euro folks.

It would be great if you could share your experience with these turbos Click here to enlarge

Have you put your car on a dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

When tracking the car in hot summer days last year, I had to deal with reduced power due to hot oil and/or water temps. At that time my car was equipped with the factory oilcooler and the AR Design oil cooler in front of the radiator. I then replaced the factory OC with the ER Sports Series OC. This helped reduce oil temps alot and keep them below 130C at all times. However water temps were still inducing power reduction after a few laps. The next step is then to add the additional water radiator from the OEM Performance Power Kit, which shall be done next month. That's about all I can do for cooling, besides upgrading the factory radiator to an all-aluminium one.

Point is, when I upgrade turbos I want to enjoy the added power at the track also, without bothering about operating temps all the time, needing to short-shift etc.
    Your problem has been, and still is, the "AR coolant heater" that you have placed to release hot air to your radiator.

You should get rid of the coolant temp problem by removing AR. Your ER should keep your oil temps low alone.

AR removes heat from oil to coolant, and turbos being cooled by both coolant and oil, the turbos transfer part of that heat back from coolant to oil. AR is bad design that they finally admit themselves providing OCs with better placement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

No difference in temps on my car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Your problem has been, and still is, the "AR coolant heater" that you have placed to release hot air to your radiator.

You should get rid of the coolant temp problem by removing AR. Your ER should keep your oil temps low alone.

AR removes heat from oil to coolant, and turbos being cooled by both coolant and oil, the turbos transfer part of that heat back from coolant to oil. AR is bad design that they finally admit themselves providing OCs with better placement.
    Possibly yes. Although the AR OC does lower oil temps a bit. I'm just not sure if this outweighs the negative impact it can have on water temps. Placing an OC in front of the radiator is common on other platforms too so I think the limitation is the size rather than the placement. By comparison, the ER Sports OC is HUGE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I recall noticing a drop in oil temps. My car did not even have the OEM oil cooler.

On another note- $5000 US for a compressor only upgrade? Wow.

Very interesting. I didn't know about this upgrade, just found their website: Looks like they also upgrade the wastegastes! Looks like a good option for us Euro folks.

It would be great if you could share your experience with these turbos Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Turbine side is the bottle neck, so compressor upgrade only is not worth much. And it is definitely not worth more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    I recall noticing a drop in oil temps. My car did not even have the OEM oil cooler.

On another note- $5000 US for a compressor only upgrade? Wow.
    Thanks for your input, much appreciated! As for these turbos, I'm not an expert when it comes to turbo mechanics. So for me it's not easy to find the differences and limitations so fast Click here to enlarge But yes, definitely too much money to get the job only half done!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

AR is bad design that they finally admit themselves providing OCs with better placement.
    I was not aware of that - where do they place their oil cooler now? I do know that they first placed it - similar to the ER sports cooler - as a replacement for the stock oil cooler in the passenger wheel well. Then they moved it in front of the radiator.

I also know they acknowledged that the oil lines that they initially provided were not good, but that is another matter.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Main reason I'm asking is because on a racetrack the cooling capacity of my car is sometimes on the limit.
    So what does this tell you? Perhaps the first upgrade should be to the cooling system, although you claim you have done so but do not detail the changes. In any case, your car is telling you they are inadequate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    So what does this tell you? Perhaps the first upgrade should be to the cooling system, although you claim you have done so but do not detail the changes. In any case, your car is telling you they are inadequate.
    He described the details of his cooling upgrades in post #4. As far as cooling the oil is concerned, his modifications are quite substantial. However, it has been observed that the AT have more problems with their water temps due to the transmission cooling.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    I was not aware of that - where do they place their oil cooler now? I do know that they first placed it - similar to the ER sports cooler - as a replacement for the stock oil cooler in the passenger wheel well. Then they moved it in front of the radiator.

I also know they acknowledged that the oil lines that they initially provided were not good, but that is another matter.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Actually I was reading AR's post that they were fully aware that their OC is not good enough and their customers are still suffering and that is why they said they will come up with an upgrade. This was several months ago, so I assumed they had come up with one by now.

The reason why they moved to the location to the front of radiator, was that all different models, 135, 335, 535, coupes and sedans, all with, or without M-tech bumpers or any other aftermarket bumpers would have demanded so many variations that the only way to gain economies of scale was to go with a design that is not dependent on the bumper. Lower costs due decreasing variation, but functionally worse.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Actually I was reading AR's post that they were fully aware that their OC is not good enough and their customers are still suffering and that is why they said they will come up with an upgrade. This was several months ago, so I assumed they had come up with one by now.

The reason why they moved to the location to the front of radiator, was that all different models, 135, 335, 535, coupes and sedans, all with, or without M-tech bumpers or any other aftermarket bumpers would have demanded so many variations that the only way to gain economies of scale was to go with a design that is not dependent on the bumper. Lower costs due decreasing variation, but functionally worse.
    I've seen a thread on e90post which showed their new OC prototypes. They seem to work on a similar setup as ER: a replacement for the stock core and optionnally another OC which goes in the driverside wheel well (where the PPK radiator in my car will be). These new kits don't seem to be available commercially yet. Maybe AR can chime in?

ER offers different airducts for stock or M-Tech bumpers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Would it be possible to remove the fog light and direct more air to the OC through the hole? If this would be easy, it could be done just for the track days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Would it be possible to remove the fog light and direct more air to the OC through the hole? If this would be easy, it could be done just for the track days.
    Yes, I have done that on my car. The airducts from the 335is can be used Click here to enlarge

The fog lights have to be "programmed out" by the dealer, if you take em out permanently. Otherwise you will get errors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

A big difference I see from the OP and others who have responded is the use he gives the car. Iirc LM and Enrita use theirs mainly for drag racing/roll racing which places a tiny demand on cooling vs doing laps on a track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

i didnt have any oil cooler FWIW, and no, i didnt drive it hard for long periods, except on long road trips, and i never saw anything abnormal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Very interesting. I didn't know about this upgrade, just found their website: http://www.loba-motorsport.com/produ...70p-turbolader Looks like they also upgrade the wastegastes! Looks like a good option for us Euro folks.

I do not have leaf of test bench, 2 times we have tried to measure the power but a lot of power was not possible in the rollers and was jumping the car of behind but I can say to him that I am capable of taking me to a porch 991 disturb of 480 and am capable of taking one to me m3 e46 compressor activates of 518cv of a French boy who resides near my people does little buy a vbox to look of extracting some stopwatches to compare with some of you, but I am capable of supporting 21 psi up to 6000rpm with petrol 98 shell and 80/20 it mixes of methanol with mapa6 in jb4 and one stable afr ... all that to been possible just person to change the new bomb and to change 6 injectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast