Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: N54 Con Rods

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    IMO going slightly lower in CR (like the Alpina CR discussed here) along with stronger rods might be a good idea in the long run if maxing out the power output of the RBs. Personally I haven't yet made up my mind whether I'll go down that route, as it would mean an investment of another 6-8K EUR to have that done.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    IMO, reducing CR isn't right for now at least. If the fueling problem was solved and there was high HP kits available, then you would be on something. But with reducing CR you are losing some HP because in future there might be high HP kits and you might go on that route and ...
    Not worth it IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only do it if it blows up Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Only do it if it blows up Click here to enlarge
    Ok but if a rod breaks through the bottom end, you're out $5k more Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Ok but if a rod breaks through the bottom end, you're out $5k more Click here to enlarge
    +1, unless you have your mind set to see how far the engine will go without poping, it is always a good idea to make the block reusuable. Go over on the walls a little, source the right rings, pistons, rods, bearings and wala.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    On this particular car, unless you go past the 7k rpm redline, a piston crown will be the first to go as its already been proven to be the weakest link on this car...rods won't come out the side of the block first on "this" engine
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    IMO, reducing CR isn't right for now at least. If the fueling problem was solved and there was high HP kits available, then you would be on something. But with reducing CR you are losing some HP because in future there might be high HP kits and you might go on that route and ...
    Not worth it IMO.
    For me personally that is not relevant as I will not go with a single turbo kit anyway. I prefer being able to use the RB equipped car to its full extent without having to worry about breaking any internals.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Öhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    For me personally that is not relevant as I will not go with a single turbo kit anyway. I prefer being able to use the RB equipped car to its full extent without having to worry about breaking any internals.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Certainly you'll be fine with sticking to the RB's on stock internals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123