Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Koni Yellow Settings

I didn't know where to put this since there is no suspension subforum.

I bought some Koni yellow's ans Eibach Sportline springs from LostMarine. I was wondering what settings you guys would reccomend for this combo. The car is daily driven, but will see track days. I don't mind a harsh ride. Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You would put it in the 3 series -> E92 forum. Moving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    leave it adjusted to the middle and see where it takes you. As you get more and more comfortable with your car on the track, you can stiffen it up.

The rears, since they are more of a pain to adjust, I would leave them set at 2/3s stiff, and see how you like it. More than likely, if you roadrace the car the springs will be too soft and you will end up doing a Swift Spring conversion once you really get the hang of things Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You would put it in the 3 series -> E92 forum. Moving.
    Thank you

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    leave it adjusted to the middle and see where it takes you. As you get more and more comfortable with your car on the track, you can stiffen it up.

The rears, since they are more of a pain to adjust, I would leave them set at 2/3s stiff, and see how you like it. More than likely, if you roadrace the car the springs will be too soft and you will end up doing a Swift Spring conversion once you really get the hang of things Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info. I would rep, but I guess I have to rep more people before I rep you again. I'm already thinking of switching up the springs. Eibachs weren't my first choice, but for a package deal at the price I got them at, I can't complain at all. I also have to take into consideration that at my university, I scrape a little on some of the speed bumps as it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah its not that bad of a deal. I drove LMs car for a weekend to bimmerfest, and the ride is quite pleasant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Yeah its not that bad of a deal. I drove LMs car for a weekend to bimmerfest, and the ride is quite pleasant.
    Any idea what setting his fronts were at? I just adjusted the rears, but not sure how to adjust the fronts. I thought there are supposed to be knobs on the fronts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Okay, this one is right up my ally as I use to race on Koni yellows.

Step one:, what is your spring rate?

Koni yellows are designed for increased springs rate as in MORE than 40% OVER stock. That being said, if you have stock springs put them on FULL soft or you will under steer like a pig.

Next, what was your cars characteristics BEFORE the yellows. AKA under or over steer?

On my 91 stang, custom Eiabaches, custom 5 link, etc, etc. Stock fronts were 500lb/inch, rears 250. Custom springs 800 front, 350 rear. My car at Nelson ledges was best with Left ft, 1 turn from full soft. RF full soft, LR 3 turns from full soft, RR 2.5 turns. AKA the car had a slight over steer like this. My favorite!!

Note: EVERY car WILL vary. Test and tune will only decide which is best.

Just PLEASE keep in mind that Yellows are NOT designed for stock spring rates. Did I just say that again? If you have stock springs, they will usually make your car understeer like a pig.

Want more, just ask

More than likely, I would run the fronts SOFTER Nthan the rears. Otherwise you WILL understeer. Try 2/5 fronts, 3/5 rear. Adjust to suit your driving style.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mramg1 Click here to enlarge
    Okay, this one is right up my ally as I use to race on Koni yellows.

Step one:, what is your spring rate?

Koni yellows are designed for increased springs rate as in MORE than 40% OVER stock. That being said, if you have stock springs put them on FULL soft or you will under steer like a pig.

Next, what was your cars characteristics BEFORE the yellows. AKA under or over steer?

On my 91 stang, custom Eiabaches, custom 5 link, etc, etc. Stock fronts were 500lb/inch, rears 250. Custom springs 800 front, 350 rear. My car at Nelson ledges was best with Left ft, 1 turn from full soft. RF full soft, LR 3 turns from full soft, RR 2.5 turns. AKA the car had a slight over steer like this. My favorite!!

Note: EVERY car WILL vary. Test and tune will only decide which is best.

Just PLEASE keep in mind that Yellows are NOT designed for stock spring rates. Did I just say that again? If you have stock springs, they will usually make your car understeer like a pig.

Want more, just ask

More than likely, I would run the fronts SOFTER Nthan the rears. Otherwise you WILL understeer. Try 2/5 fronts, 3/5 rear. Adjust to suit your driving style.Click here to enlarge
    True. The only issue with these cars is they tend to induce a lot of positive camber while in a turn. I used to wonder why BMW would only sell a front swaybar upgrade vs a rear, and most people have said it helps immensely with turn in.

The fronts you use a white knob to adjust them. If you dont have one i have like a bazillion of them here.

As mentioned I would start with 2/5, but you will most likely end up stiffening them up a hair.

A performance swaybar or even an M3 front will help, as will M3 tension rods and control arms. You would be amazed at the slop in the front end Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True. The only issue with these cars is they tend to induce a lot of positive camber while in a turn. I used to wonder why BMW would only sell a front swaybar upgrade vs a rear, and most people have said it helps immensely with turn in.

The fronts you use a white knob to adjust them. If you dont have one i have like a bazillion of them here.

As mentioned I would start with 2/5, but you will most likely end up stiffening them up a hair.

A performance swaybar or even an M3 front will help, as will M3 tension rods and control arms. You would be amazed at the slop in the front end Click here to enlarge
    I could definitely use a couple of those knobs. For the time being would just getting a hold of the little tab at the top allow me to adjust? I would assume it would since the fronts don't have to be compressed for adjustment.

I really appreciate your help Matt. I'm a total noob to these shocks. I understand what the adjustments do, just had no idea how to do it lol. I believe you about the slop. I couldn't believe how loose this car felt compared to my e46, although that wasn't on stock suspension.