Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Flow numbers are out there. He'd probably rather have a junk head to X-section...
    Right you are Rob, but I'll take what I can get though!

I used to have E7TE and GT40 junkers and a sectioned canfield I did some sick porting to back in the stang days.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a busted N54 head somewhere, I just wouldn't wouldn't want to pay much for it, if at all.

Not trying to knock anyone but I like to flow heads myself. Flowbench and headwork varies as much as dynos IME.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a flow bench handy? Maybe I will pull this head and send it over. Do not want it x-sectioned! LOL. But you can check it out and report your findings for the community if you have the time to do as such.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Right you are Rob, but I'll take what I can get though!

I used to have E7TE and GT40 junkers and a sectioned canfield I did some sick porting to back in the stang days.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a busted N54 head somewhere, I just wouldn't wouldn't want to pay much for it, if at all.

Not trying to knock anyone but I like to flow heads myself. Flowbench and headwork varies as much as dynos IME.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a flow bench handy? Maybe I will pull this head and send it over. Do not want it x-sectioned! LOL. But you can check it out and report your findings for the community if you have the time to do as such.
    Unfortunately I don't have a flowbench handy but I'm reaching out to someone I used to work with in the past who had a SF300. I have to look into a few things, particularly the adapter where the head bolts up to the bench, to make sure that I can even clamp it down to be flowed. I'll report back when I have some info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds good, just let me know if you can pull anything together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Flow benching these heads would be so big for our community. Looking forward to some numbers! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
    Flow benching these heads would be so big for our community. Looking forward to some numbers! Click here to enlarge
    Didn't PAW already do that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Didn't PAW already do that?
    Seen the graphs here somewhere, so yes they did...

But isn't the reason the N54 has "small" exhaust ports and is a small twin turbo setup the main reason it is the least laggy turbo engine out there? As i understand the exhaust velocity is keept up even at low rpm to achive the fast spool and having two small ligtweight turbines they also benefits from the exhaust "pulses" when the valves open creating a pressure wave hitting the turbines. I am pretty sure BMW engineers know what they did creating this engine, changing it "to much" could be a slippery slope for anyone using the car as a DD.

I think @enrita did do some porting of the exhaust and I believe he take his car racing (not in a straight line only) any feedback on how this changed the car would be cool?

Wouldn't porting increase flow at the cost of driveability on this engine?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

IIRC porting the head moved the power band up. So you would gain 30hp (not sure about the exact figures anymore) up top, but you would at the same time lose power down low.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    xbox_ fan, agree with you 100%.

It is no secret that BMW designed the N54 to be very economical and have instant torque available to the operator just off idle. This was accomplished primarily by using a very tiny cylinder head exhaust port and matching ultra-small turbos. The exhaust ports are of good design for high velocity (insta-spool) but overall flow potential (power) is limited.

There are many hurdles to jump before getting to the realization but I feel that substantial head work (or better yet a substitute casting) willl be a requirement for those looking to optimize the larger turbo setups on the horizon.

There is always a trade off with power potential vs. drivability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd be ok with full spool by 3500rpm instead of 1500, I think
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    I'd be ok with full spool by 3500rpm instead of 1500, I think
    Create a custom jb4 map6 doing just that, could be fun to try?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's not just about RPM, there's the transient factor as well which IMO is even more important.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    But isn't the reason the N54 has "small" exhaust ports and is a small twin turbo setup the main reason it is the least laggy turbo engine out there? As i understand the exhaust velocity is keept up even at low rpm to achive the fast spool and having two small ligtweight turbines they also benefits from the exhaust "pulses" when the valves open creating a pressure wave hitting the turbines. I am pretty sure BMW engineers know what they did creating this engine, changing it "to much" could be a slippery slope for anyone using the car as a DD.
    Yes, that would likely be the reason but if one wants more power there will be sacrifices.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My shop only ported the intake. They saw the most restriction there (actually a restriction BMW put in place AFTER they designed the head, maybe it was flowing too well and hurt mpg/emissions?) and thought exhaust were sized right.
    This should give more top end and more power with lower boost. They are quite experienced in porting and the guy working there doing this porting jobs is pretty known.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Quite sexy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like they (at minimum) cleaned up the bowl/seat area all the way beyond the valve guide on the exhaust port. I think the intake is sized well, but could likely benefit from some divider work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any more pics of the work?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    My shop only ported the intake. They saw the most restriction there (actually a restriction BMW put in place AFTER they designed the head, maybe it was flowing too well and hurt mpg/emissions?) and thought exhaust were sized right. This should give more top end and more power with lower boost. They are quite experienced in porting and the guy working there doing this porting jobs is pretty known.
    Good post. Provides the reality rather than the abstracts only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like they (at minimum) cleaned up the bowl/seat area all the way beyond the valve guide on the exhaust port. I think the intake is sized well, but could likely benefit from some divider work.
    What are the consequences on cleaning beyond the valve guides?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what you mean. I was just saying that his shop did in fact do some work on the exhaust side, although it could be just a minor clean up. Would need more pics to confirm.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    What are the consequences on cleaning beyond the valve guides?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what you mean. I was just saying that his shop did in fact do some work on the exhaust side, although it could be just a minor clean up. Would need more pics to confirm.
    sorry i only got those.
    The intake had a welded restrictor in place, that is now gone. they also had to redo all valve guides since they were quite worn out the the valve stem was not sitting tight.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

No biggie. Just trying to hammer down exactly what they did to your heads. I do believe there is confusion in what they said or did, and/or in what you interpreted or remembered. Or perhaps there are casting differences, as I have NO idea what they could've meant about a welded restrictor in place on the intake port. For starters there is nothing but casted materials, nothing has been welded anywhere whatsoever.

I have a head right here and the intake ports are beautiful but the Intake port divider could use much work- other than that I don't see much that can be done to better the Intake port. The Exhaust port too looks great but is much smaller than any other "known successful high HP" 4v turbo head I have ever seen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How did this thread die? I have tried searching and can't seem to find where this conversation may have picked back up? I got so interested and then no page 3 Click here to enlarge
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    How did this thread die? I have tried searching and can't seem to find where this conversation may have picked back up? I got so interested and then no page 3 Click here to enlarge
    What do you need to know? Crank & rods are forged, pistons are cast. VAC confirmed this a long time ago. In addition to the rotating bits, some minor headwork & valves have shown to be an improvement.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As long as the tuning is solid and you're not trying to push into unknown territory you're fine. After seeing a piston/rod combo and talking with Jake I feel like the ringlands will be the first casualty in the horsepower war.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast