Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Question P29CD - What's next?

I've started getting P29CD (Misfire on Cyl1) error accompanied with the usual symptoms from the engine bay. This misfire can only be reproduced under high load conditions: high gear, low-mid rpms and then romp on the throttle. The easiest way for me to induce this is 4th gear, 2500 rpms and then I put my foot down.

Spark plugs have less than 5K miles. They were replaced by BMW during HPFP and injector recall.

So far I've done the following:

* Install brand new spark plug on cylinder 1. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.
    * Swap coil from cyl1 to cyl6. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.

Digging through my service invoices, I noticed that during the HPFP and injector recall, only 4 out of the 6 injectors were swapped out. Unfortunately it does not tell me which ones.

What's the next step? Order 2 new injectors, replace them and then go to BMW for coding?

BTW, this only happens with Cobb Stage 2 maps. Car runs fine and super smooth in Stage 1, but that's only about 12 psi and that's no fun.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I would take it in, that is if you have a warranty. If not, order the injectors and look at purchasing a bavarian technic cable.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I already have the bavarian technic cable. My understanding is that the tool still lacks the ability to code in the injectors for the N54. Is that correct?
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    I already have the bavarian technic cable. My understanding is that the tool still lacks the ability to code in the injectors for the N54. Is that correct?
    You are correct. I thought they added it when everyone started sending them requests asking for that feature. It seems as if the BT cable still lacks this function.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

injectors can't be coded with the BT tool unfortunately...injectors are dead easy to replace and honestly anyone can do it...i'd only go to an indy shop that can code BMWs, or last resort dealer, after that with your old injector in hand and have them code it...

keep in mind, often times to properly code the new injector they'll need the numbers off the old one so don't throw it away..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Actually to code the new injector, all you need is the new 6 digit number off the side of it. Write it down before you give it to whoever to have it coded.

Old injectors are not needed, I have a used one that I believe is still good if you want it..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Matt, trust me, sometimes injector calibration is off and the system asks you to enter the old and the new numbers off the injectors...this isn't always required..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Good info guys! Thanks. Is there a way to look at the injector part numbers WHILE they are installed? I need to find out if for some reason I have 2 older injectors and if so, on which cylinders are they.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

what i was referring to is the numbers on the side of the injectors...these aren't your part numbers though, they're calibration numbers, but i think the part numbers should be there as well..just take the engine cover off and you should be able to see them on the side..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    what i was referring to is the numbers on the side of the injectors...these aren't your part numbers though, they're calibration numbers, but i think the part numbers should be there as well..just take the engine cover off and you should be able to see them on the side..
    Dzeno,

I know what you mean about the calibration numbers. I already looked up a few images and DIYs on the injectors. I was curious if the part number is visible while the injector is installed. I just want to see why they did not replace all 6 injectors during the recall...
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

you mean no 8k word essay on how cobb stg 2 suck cause it cause misfires?

ok, srsly, its probably because you occ didnt catch enough oil

ok, joking and stupidty aside, dont worry about replacing anything yet, your motor is about to blow anyway so save for the full rebuild..

see, its easy to post random bull$#@!.

get an injector, write down the #'s, install and take it to dealer and tell them to code that injector and hand them the #'s. $60 and 30 minutes on your way

peace out homey

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Matt, trust me, sometimes injector calibration is off and the system asks you to enter the old and the new numbers off the injectors...this isn't always required..
    I have not once provided the old injector numbers. My friend has been at bmw for 10 years and he has never once asked for the old numbers. All my cars have not had a single issue after replacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I know I've read this but as I said, most likely not often required...in any case, can't hurt to keep the old one around until coding is finished...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I was asked for my old numbers, I think they only used them to correlate what injector I claimed I had changed with the old calibration numbers for that cyl. I dont think the old numbers are really needed.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I was side by side with the tech who did the coding...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Maybe I'm insane, but has anyone else noticed these seemingly uncurable misfires mostly occur in MY08?

Clap put nearly 40k miles on his plugs and he's never misfired. Neither have I (at least not tune related). and we both have late build MY09s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

The issue the op is having is very similar to the one I had...my last resort, after a ton of troubleshooting and money spent on parts, I asked Cobb to give me a version of the map with misfire detection off...

Can you log fuel mode and both bank1&bank2 AFR, rpm, hpfp, lpfp and post the CSV up? When mine would occur I'd get fuel mode 15 at the time of misfire..

I've never "had to" change my plugs either, just did them after 30-35k miles first time and then after that I change them a few times while experimenting with other plugs finally sticking with NGK at the moment

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well I just missfired cyl 1 (P29CD) on my 09. 31K on original plugs. I'll move the coil first to see if that's it, if not I'll replace all plugs and I'm sure that will do it. Just sold the Cobb today, good thing I hadn't mailed it yet. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    WTF is wrong with this forum software. It is constantly giving me errors about me posting links or that I am trying to make a post too frequently. Sticky, if you are reading this, the forum software is breaking under Firefox and Chrome browsers in Linux. I can send you screenshots if you want.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I worked with Rob from Cobb on this issue for 4 days. We tried all kinds of things including a map with misfire detection off. The logs were clean. Nothing weird that he could see in over 10 logs that I sent him with parameters he requested. So having already eliminated spark plug and ignition coil, I am down to thinking it is an injector.

Here is something else I've noticed.

Say I force the misfires to occur. The ECU then throws a CEL and the engine runs rough due to lack of power in cylinder 1. If I continue to drive/cruise, the engine continues to run rough and misfires. However, if I let go off the gas pedal while in gear for 5-6 seconds, the engine starts working again fine.

This lead me to believe that when the misfires occur, something gets "stuck" for as long as the engine has to make power. If you let go off the gas pedal, the ECU shuts off the fuel injection and after a 5-6 seconds like that, the engine starts working again....

Question:
    Under deceleration in gear, does the ECU shut off both the fuel injectors AND the spark plugs/coils or just the injectors? If only the fuel injectors are shut off during deceleration and the ECU continues to fire up the spark plugs, then this would most definitely point to a bad injector.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Might be a stupid question, but the coil/plugs you swapped/replaced, are you sure you are working on cylinder 1 and not on a different cylinder?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Might be a stupid question, but the coil/plugs you swapped/replaced, are you sure you are working on cylinder 1 and not on a different cylinder?
    Not a stupid question at all! My understanding is that cyl1 is the one that is at the front of the engine, closest to the radiator, correct? I swapped coils for cyl1 and cyl6 and installed new spark plug in cyl 1. Nothing changed the misfires. The spark plugs were replaced less than 5K miles ago by BMW during the HPFP and injector recall campaign. They look immaculate.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Did you get the Injectors replaced under recall?

Edit-oops u just answered my question above

I seriously think something else is going on, and chasing these misfires with plugs coils and injectors is chasing ghosts. I'm assuming your car runs fine with the misfire detection off?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Did you get the Injectors replaced under recall?

Edit-oops u just answered my question above

I seriously think something else is going on, and chasing these misfires with plugs coils and injectors is chasing ghosts. I'm assuming your car runs fine with the misfire detection off?
    Only 4 out of the 6 injectors were replaced under recall. No idea why. The paperwork does not say exactly which injectors were replaced, only that 4 of them were replaced.
    With misfire detection off, car runs even worse! It takes a lot less to get it to misfire...

I suspect a sticking injector in cyl1 that was not replaced by BMW during recall.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Only 4 out of the 6 injectors were replaced under recall. No idea why. The paperwork does not say exactly which injectors were replaced, only that 4 of them were replaced.
    With misfire detection off, car runs even worse! It takes a lot less to get it to misfire...

I suspect a sticking injector in cyl1 that was not replaced by BMW during recall.
    Looks like you need to pull the injector off cylinder 1 and see if it's the good part number. Hopefully that's the problem otherwise burn that car to the ground. Click here to enlarge

Also if you had a sticking injector you would misfire during all sorts of driving conditions and at any random RPM. if you're misfiring only under WOT, id be skeptical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast