Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just cleaned my valves... it was the cause of a very stupid mistake that I use to chuckle when reading about people doing this. I broke the damn manifold nipple, so had to remove the manifold and jb weld. My valves were very clean (65k miles) compared to other pics I've seen and when running an OCC very little oil. I think my separators just work better then others.

Just a note on the BMS OCC, check the hoses carefully after putting the engine cover on. I couldn't get mine uncrimped, so ended up cutting the engine cover for the hoses to fit back there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Yup... Click here to enlarge
    He's got BMW tax written all over his face sometimes...dont think he realizes his pointless comments sometimes really...I remember when he laughed at me for saying a clutch job on an N54 shouldn't be a lot more than $350 Click here to enlarge why does he say $#@! like that is beyond me...it's like saying procede being more expensive than jb4 these days so naturally it'd mean right away it's better and obviously more "advanced"...price is ONLY determined by demand and those willing to pay it
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 12-30-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I just cleaned my valves... it was the cause of a very stupid mistake that I use to chuckle when reading about people doing this. I broke the damn manifold nipple, so had to remove the manifold and jb weld. My valves were very clean (65k miles) compared to other pics I've seen and when running an OCC very little oil. I think my separators just work better then others.

Just a note on the BMS OCC, check the hoses carefully after putting the engine cover on. I couldn't get mine uncrimped, so ended up cutting the engine cover for the hoses to fit back there.
    My engine cover already has a hole in it since my CC testing Click here to enlarge but ya, the BMS OCC I'll get should have a better u bend hose that isn't such squeeze
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I cant wait to see the BMS OCC results from Dzenno, and also if Big Tom if at all possible. It looks like an awesome unit for sure. I also would like to see some Big Tom comparisons to see if it catches well like the other unit he had since he has done so much research and kept many notes on how much his last can would catch it makes sense to use his feedback and exact car to see if he still is catching a large amount like that.

The overall design is obviously superb, I think Dzenno and Big Toms feedback will make it the last one to ever consider.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    I cant wait to see the BMS OCC results from Dzenno, and also if Big Tom if at all possible. It looks like an awesome unit for sure. I also would like to see some Big Tom comparisons to see if it catches well like the other unit he had since he has done so much research and kept many notes on how much his last can would catch it makes sense to use his feedback and exact car to see if he still is catching a large amount like that.

The overall design is obviously superb, I think Dzenno and Big Toms feedback will make it the last one to ever consider.
    Here's the catch after 1 month of use.
    The weather situation here in Sweden is terrible, so this month has been dominated by very light driving.
    But despite of the light driving the BMS OCC has been able to catch a pretty good amount of oil.
    I poured it into my old OCC to be able to compare it with my old pictures.

Click here to enlarge

Here's what my old OCC use to catch after one month of hard driving:

Click here to enlarge

So the conclusion is that the BMS OCC works very good, and it'll be very interesting to see how much it'll catch when the snow and ice are gone from the roads. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Big Tom; 12-31-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow man, that looks like a ton of blowby for light driving...are you sure you're driving lightly? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Wow man, that looks like a ton of blowby for light driving...are you sure you're driving lightly? Click here to enlarge
    Everything except light driving is impossible in Sweden right now... Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nothing different up in Canada...if its not snow, its rain...dry pavement is so last year...driiiifffffttttt lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nothing different up in Canada...if its not snow, its rain...dry pavement is so last year...driiiifffffttttt lol
    I want summer! Click here to enlarge
    I was absolutely born in the wrong country... Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Yeah the bms occ is really good and design taken from big tom ;-) i will probably remove my occ temporarely as well to see if there is a change in oil consumption.

I buy the oil from an uk shop and get it shipped to sweden really cheap alpina, opieoils.co.uk ;-)
    That's a good info - I'll look into this. Until now it has always been very complicated to have any oil or similar products shipped as they're classified as dangerous for transportation purposes. But if that worked that would be really cool!

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Big Tom, that looks like the BMS OCC performs/catches just as much if not more than the others you've used. That is great news. It appears it will have a very free flowing design as well, so catching more while restricting less is a great achievement. I'm sure it will shine with the crankcase pressure testing as the design appears to be as free flowing. The simplicity, cost, and cleanliness of install into the engine bay puts it up top for sure.

Still makes me wonder why some collect nothing, and some are very consistently collecting oil... but I guess that is another topic altogether.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Variation may come from just shear piston ring clearance and more/less blow by on some cars vs others...I'd expect that this cold location will prove to collect oil in a lot more cases than some other setups
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree. Some cars could just have more blowby than others... very likely. Or perhaps some difference or loss of functionality in the valve cover separators/valve.

Variation may come from just shear piston ring clearance and more/less blow by on some cars vs others...I'd expect that this cold location will prove to collect oil in a lot more cases than some other setups

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Still makes me wonder why some collect nothing, and some are very consistently collecting oil... but I guess that is another topic altogether.
    Assuming they have the same OCC I'm sure there is a huge car to car variance in terms of blowby and overall engine condition. The OEM cyclone separator seems to do OK for very low volumes of air/oil vapor but at the higher levels seems to do very little. With a better OEM design there we would not need to bother with OCCs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Assuming they have the same OCC I'm sure there is a huge car to car variance in terms of blowby and overall engine condition. The OEM cyclone separator seems to do OK for very low volumes of air/oil vapor but at the higher levels seems to do very little. With a better OEM design there we would not need to bother with OCCs.
    Have you looked at the BMW N55 training manual some posted recently on n54tech? The N55 has a totally redesigned oil seperator system with a "splat-wall" oil seperator that the manual claims is superior to the cyclonic seperator of N54.

Time will tell i guess.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Have you looked at the BMW N55 training manual some posted recently on n54tech? The N55 has a totally redesigned oil seperator system with a "splat-wall" oil seperator that the manual claims is superior to the cyclonic seperator of N54.

Time will tell i guess.
    I haven't seen those yet but I'll check em out. Right now I am testing our OCC on the N55 to see if we can catch anything. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My BMS can is in the mail, expected to arrive tomorrow. I wont be able to install for a while, but I do have pretty high hopes. Chirstmas break focused on gaskets and rattles. I inquired about flow testing and pressure drop across the BMS can before. Has any data been collected with respect to that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sucks man, aside from a freak passing snow shower in October, we haven't seen a flake of snow in NYC yet. If I'm lucky, I might be able to survive this winter on balding all-season rear tires! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Sucks man, aside from a freak passing snow shower in October, we haven't seen a flake of snow in NYC yet. If I'm lucky, I might be able to survive this winter on balding all-season rear tires! Click here to enlarge
    We still have the worse 2 months to go.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Don't jinx us Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    He's got BMW tax written all over his face sometimes...dont think he realizes his pointless comments sometimes really...I remember when he laughed at me for saying a clutch job on an N54 shouldn't be a lot more than $350 Click here to enlarge why does he say $#@! like that is beyond me...it's like saying procede being more expensive than jb4 these days so naturally it'd mean right away it's better and obviously more "advanced"...price is ONLY determined by demand and those willing to pay it
    BMW Tax? LOL try running a business and get back to me...you dont like my prices move on...prices reflect my quality of work and I have plenty of people that pay with no issues.

And yes I did say that to Tom...because I can buy the same style intercooler, same maker from CHINA. Do you know what kind of work and R&D goes into fabricating intercoolers at all? You do know those hours have to be recouped somehow right?
    Last edited by Itsbrokeagain; 01-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    BMW Tax? LOL try running a business and get back to me...you dont like my prices move on...prices reflect my quality of work and I have plenty of people that pay with no issues.
    its not funny but fair enough..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    And yes I did say that to Tom...because I can buy the same style intercooler, same maker from CHINA. Do you know what kind of work and R&D goes into fabricating intercoolers at all? You do know those hours have to be recouped somehow right?
    I am learning and what I can tell you right now is that not every company recoups R&D costs really, as in the first place many of them don't do $#@! for R&D...where do you think the NST crank pulley came from, or the ECS crank pulley for an N54...reputable companies right? they recoupe nothing, just pure profits, sometimes even at the expense of the customer/engine...

did you see the "new" AA FMIC by the way that's more than half the price of their kl racing look a like?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am learning and what I can tell you right now is that not every company recoups R&D costs really, as in the first place many of them don't do $#@! for R&D...where do you think the NST crank pulley came from, or the ECS crank pulley for an N54...reputable companies right? they recoupe nothing, just pure profits, sometimes even at the expense of the customer/engine...

did you see the "new" AA FMIC by the way that's more than half the price of their kl racing look a like?
    I didnt say all businesses, some are as corrupt. But YOU dont know what goes on behind their doors, so that gives YOU no right to judge a company based on the price they sell their products for. I was more aimed at the Helix and the AMS intercoolers, companies who spend their time testing different ICs and working to improve a product...so because they charge $1000 for an intercooler setup, its a rip-off?

Im leavin it at that..not gonna turn this thread into a pissing match.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I didnt say all businesses, some are as corrupt. But YOU dont know what goes on behind their doors, so that gives YOU no right to judge a company based on the price they sell their products for. I was more aimed at the Helix and the AMS intercoolers, companies who spend their time testing different ICs and working to improve a product...so because they charge $1000 for an intercooler setup, its a rip-off?

Im leavin it at that..not gonna turn this thread into a pissing match.
    I never said anything about Helix or AMS, what're you talking about? If anything, all i ever mentioned was that the kl racing intercooler may do a good enough job to be a viable option for some, and the only other i mentioned was AA...

I laugh every time i see BMW tax at play and some businesses/shops/vendors heavily taxing their customers but i guess some can pull it off based on quality of work provided or based on established rep...look at ModBargains and their BSH OCC pics...they took them from VWs FILLED with crankcase oil, NEVER $#@!ing happens on an N54...they did pull those ads once they realized the mistake but they did it for a very long time though, knowingly that those pics didn't come from an N54...

and by the way, for the record, and I've already said this before, Helix has IMO one of the best designed intercoolers for the N54, especially after their end tank redesign...AMS no different...

don't put words into my mouth please and ya, lets move on
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast