Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Are you running jb3 or jb4?
    At 17,5 psi on pump (93?) you were probably pulling lots of timing. Make sure to log but i wouldnt run more than 15 psi on pump with stock timing. Meth is a must with upgraded turbos if you plarunning more boost than that.
    That was on JB4, I have logged 16psi on straight pump (93) and everything looked good.

Dzenno, that sucks about your compressor wheel getting chewed up like that! But that's nice to see that Rob really helped you out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Are you running jb3 or jb4?
    At 17,5 psi on pump (93?) you were probably pulling lots of timing. Make sure to log but i wouldnt run more than 15 psi on pump with stock timing. Meth is a must with upgraded turbos if you plarunning more boost than that.
    He has the CPS module so I know on pump he was running around a 3.5 degree offset up top.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Are you saying people in general or those with upgraded stock units?
    People in general.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

wow DZ that's unfortunate with the rear intake tube.

Speaking about oil consumption, recently I noticed a difference in smoke just by replacing aftermarket exhaust with stock (w/ gutted cats)... I believe oil type and even backpressure will have some effect.

My experience with WG rattle is only pertaining to the internal flapper which should be adjusted by software. I'm sure the external linkage can get noisy also, but I think most rattles are the flapper. For example when I put WGDC at idle to 0 its the quietest and 60% is louder but around 30% is the loudest. Put the WG at 0% and see if there's a noticeable difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

See that's the thing I think ALOT of people have oil consumption issues but they are masked by cats, my car didn't burn oil(or so I thought) until I put in my n55 mids right after I did a 0-20 synthetic(non BMW) oil change. I have since put in BMW oil and smoking is down ALOT. The weird thing on the smoking is its very intermittent and mostly at idle situations and never under boost. Fyi I have stock turbos w-60k on them!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

My smoking issues went down considerably after ditching Mobil-1 0w-40 synthetic which I switched to from castrol syntec 5w-30 which ran smokeless for 80,000km..first I went with latest gold bottle castrol edge 5w-30 which did great and scored high from blackstone labs...going forward its OEM 5w-30

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had 0w-40 Mobil 1, but based on Dzenno's experience I switched to the BMW 5w-30 synthetic. No issues so far. As far as the waste gates, I have no rattle complaints. I have hi-flow cats in the DP's, but I've never had to top off oil.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

So a catless AE exhaust right? Have you done any higher boost runs and what's the highest boost you usually run on meth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So a catless AE exhaust right? Have you done any higher boost runs and what's the highest boost you usually run on meth?
    AE catless exhaust. I'm running 16.5 PSI now. I always have the meth kit powered up. I have a size 7 nozzle right now, putting in a 10 this weekend. Don't plan on doing much more than 17 PSI.

Trying to keep the car as a fun weekend driver for another 5+ years.
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Malaka1 Click here to enlarge
    (Terry I will send you $200 via paypal as soon as you can work out a wastegate rattle fix for me!!)
    Wait so do I get the $200? Or at least a $200 sale? Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 12-29-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I wouldnt even think about running 0W oil in these engines..its so thin, especially at the temps these engines put out..5w or even 10W for the really high mileage cars works out well. 5w-30 Shell Synthetic in mine for the last 37k miles and not one drop of oil burnt, and no wastegate rattle either, not even any play.

Using software to control the wastegate flapper from rattling is only a temporary fix..eventually it will just get worse until it needs replacement. The bushing in the turbine housing wears out, causing a lot of slop for the flapper arm, hence the rattle. I think if these turbos were setup like normal units (wastegates opening once under boost) instead of staying open, being pulled closed to build boost and then opened again, they would last a whole lot longer. The constant working of the wastegate flapper is what wears them out so fast..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Wait so do I get the $200? Or at least a $200 sale? Click here to enlarge
    I had my fingers crossed! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

He has the CPS module so I know on pump he was running around a 3.5 degree offset up top.
    Cool thats explains it :-)
    I run fuchs titan race 10w-40 oil and no smoke but i consume bit too much oil for my taste especially after repeated wot. Will go back to oem next oil change as dzenno with a 5w-30 and see if it gets better.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Excellent advice on the oil suggestions guys! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Cool thats explains it :-)
    I run fuchs titan race 10w-40 oil and no smoke but i consume bit too much oil for my taste especially after repeated wot. Will go back to oem next oil change as dzenno with a 5w-30 and see if it gets better.
    It's a bit irritating that the Fuchs oils are not distributed where I live.

Anyway, as I'll be installing the RB turbos in about two months, would you recommend removing the AR Design oil catch can that I have installed? Rob Beck himself recommends it, which is why I have a tendency to do that. Any opinions?

Alpina_B3_Lux

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    It's a bit irritating that the Fuchs oils are not distributed where I live.

Anyway, as I'll be installing the RB turbos in about two months, would you recommend removing the AR Design oil catch can that I have installed? Rob Beck himself recommends it, which is why I have a tendency to do that. Any opinions?

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Hey Alpina, nice to have you here bud, welcome! Click here to enlarge

In terms of OCCs at this point we really have no idea if OCCs are truly a cause of anything, other than maybe excessive smoking in certain cases. Given that some cars, with RBs installed, are still running them and not having issues it'd be strange but not every car is the same.

I do want to highlight that the AR design's OCC (driver's side mount with larger hoses) was within BMW's published "crankcase pressure spec" when I did the testing a while back, with RB turbos installed on the car, while the BSH one was outside of spec, although by a small margin...these results don't apply to stock turbo setups as that hasn't been tested back then. Some people still run various OCCs with RBs and don't have any issues. LostMarine has run a BSH OCC the entire time he's had his RBs and never had any issues for instance, and we know he's given that car a proper beating

The one OCC that caught my attention recently is the recently released BMS one. Its got all the right attributes of a proper N54 OCC: best possible location (cold), proper sizing of hoses, short as possible tubing, minimal bends and internal restrictions. I'll be trying it out and testing for CC pressures eventually to see how it stacks up. Given everything I've seen about its design it really "should" be the best option for the N54 OCC at the moment but we'll see

In the end, not having an OCC won't do anything bad to the car IMHO...you "may" need to clean your intake valves every 50,000km to always have peak performance out of the engine if running without it and you "may" choose to wash out your FMIC as it basically becomes your OCC but that's it AFAIK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Hey Alpina, nice to have you here bud, welcome! Click here to enlarge
    Well with this bunch of petrolheads here how could I not be? Click here to enlarge And I certainly don't like the way the mods behave on the other forum as a matter of principle (although this will not stop me from posting there).
    In terms of OCCs at this point we really have no idea if OCCs are truly a cause of anything, other than maybe excessive smoking in certain cases. Given that some cars, with RBs installed, are still running them and not having issues it'd be strange but not every car is the same.

I do want to highlight that the AR design's OCC (driver's side mount with larger hoses) was within BMW's published "crankcase pressure spec" when I did the testing a while back, with RB turbos installed on the car, while the BSH one was outside of spec, although by a small margin...these results don't apply to stock turbo setups as that hasn't been tested back then.
    That's very useful. I've never had any problem with excessive oil consumption (except when the original oil lines from my AR Design oil cooler ruptured but I guess that doesn't count Click here to enlarge. Based on this I will probably keep the OCC in for the time being.
    Some people still run various OCCs with RBs and don't have any issues. LostMarine has run a BSH OCC the entire time he's had his RBs and never had any issues for instance, and we know he's given that car a proper beating

The one OCC that caught my attention recently is the recently released BMS one. Its got all the right attributes of a proper N54 OCC: best possible location (cold), proper sizing of hoses, short as possible tubing, minimal bends and internal restrictions. I'll be trying it out and testing for CC pressures eventually to see how it stacks up. Given everything I've seen about its design it really "should" be the best option for the N54 OCC at the moment but we'll see

In the end, not having an OCC won't do anything bad to the car IMHO...you "may" need to clean your intake valves every 50,000km to always have peak performance out of the engine if running without it and you "may" choose to wash out your FMIC as it basically becomes your OCC but that's it AFAIK
    I agree with your view on the BSH product, it does indeed seem the best option right now. But as I'll be doing quite a few major mods together with the RBs (basically everything that counts - brakes, suspension, tuning, clutch), I have to stop somewhere...!

I'm also thinking about having the intake valves cleaned at the same time (I'm at 70K kilometers right now), but will decide on this only once I have a quote from the installer on this. Might be a good time as the car has to be seriously worked on anyway...

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. Right now I'm pissed at my car because right before a long trip to the UK I have a coolant leak...Click here to enlarge Will see next week what the cause is of this.
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    I agree with your view on the BSH product, it does indeed seem the best option right now.
    Its actually the BMS (burger motorsports) OCC, not BSH, that I'll be testing..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yeah the bms occ is really good and design taken from big tom ;-) i will probably remove my occ temporarely as well to see if there is a change in oil consumption.

I buy the oil from an uk shop and get it shipped to sweden really cheap alpina, opieoils.co.uk ;-)
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Yeah the bms occ is really good and design taken from big tom ;-)
    Yes Tom has some very good engineering ideas. If he lived in the USA close to our office I would try to hire him to design products. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Just outsource it to Sweden Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Tom has some very good engineering ideas. If he lived in the USA close to our office I would try to hire him to design products. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

worth noting I had the RissRacing OCC for the first 9-10 months of RB's, wasnt until about this time last year i went to BSH. No smoking issues with either

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I just noticed that quote in your signature Big Tom...did he really say that to you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I just noticed that quote in your signature Big Tom...did he really say that to you?
    Yup... Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast