Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rob Beck turbos oil consumption/ wg rattle?

I started noticing a little bit of white smoke coming from one exhaust side about 2 months ago and now it has been getting worse and worse last night at idle it was pouring white smoke out of both exhaust tips.. It is strange how it will not smoke at all for quite a while and then all of a sudden it will start it again, and this is not during a cold start it will smoke after the car is warmed up.

Another thing I was hoping to not have with the RB turbos was wastegate rattle, but I have had it since day 1 with them.. And the rattle is also progressively getting worse, it sucks and sounds like $#@! i hate this part more than almost anything!

(Terry I will send you $200 via paypal as soon as you can work out a wastegate rattle fix for me!!)

So, has anyone else been experiencing these problems with their Rob Beck turbos? Also I was wondering if there was any kind of warranty with them, I only have about 8k miles on mine.
    Last edited by Malaka1; 12-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this is going to get interesting in a hurry.

Not the first time hearing of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yes, I have a warranty... And have warranted my product in several occasions when honestly I should not have. The last set I got back had a torn to shreds compressor wheel from ingesting a foreign object, covered it but no way should I have done it. Set before that ate something through oiling and damaged shaft and bearing- covered and no way should it have been. Of course both customers voiced their discontent on the forums, such as stickys comment suggests.

As for the rattle: Surely they are not worn out as the materials are top notch and cost a fortune. I'm assuming you are hearing the less noisy rattle variant of the actuator rod end movement on the wastegate lever. This is a normal flaw, forum members such as Big Tom have experienced and voiced the same issue even with brand new OEM turbos. I've began shipping RBs with a spring washer to help eliminate that point of rattle. Or, perhaps the gates need some adjustment if the tune can not correct.
    Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 12-27-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rob is a stand up guy I know he will help you out.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Malaka1 Click here to enlarge
    I started noticing a little bit of white smoke coming from one exhaust side about 2 months ago and now it has been getting worse and worse last night at idle it was pouring white smoke out of both exhaust tips.. It is strange how it will not smoke at all for quite a while and then all of a sudden it will start it again, and this is not during a cold start it will smoke after the car is warmed up.

Another thing I was hoping to not have with the RB turbos was wastegate rattle, but I have had it since day 1 with them.. And the rattle is also progressively getting worse, it sucks and sounds like $#@! i hate this part more than almost anything!

(Terry I will send you $200 via paypal as soon as you can work out a wastegate rattle fix for me!!)

So, has anyone else been experiencing these problems with their Rob Beck turbos? Also I was wondering if there was any kind of warranty with them, I only have about 8k miles on mine.
    Did you contact RB about this issue before posting here? I think it would be fair to give the supplier a chance to analyze the problem before it becomes public. It is a different thing if he is ignorant and doesn't respond to complains. From what I've been reading the higher capacity of RB's may in some cases induce increased oil consumption, which I don't think is 100% verified to be caused by RB's, and many also use them w/o problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am not blaming Rob or saying the turbos are necessarily bad, I am more or less asking if they are going bad.

What would be the cheapest way to fix the rattle order the spring?washers, adjust the waste gate or hope for a tune related fix?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see, I got the impression you worried the turbos were gone since the car smokes. White smoke is water condensation, perhaps it is and the cold climate is playing tricks?

I know two brand new pair of stock turbos that exposed WG-rattle, so it appears to be an adjustment issue and not necessarily caused by a bad WG axle fitting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In that event a thread title such as "help me figure out this oil consumption issue" (if thats what you have) would be appreciated...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1, the current title is like a red flag against RB's and can be very misleading. I wouldn't mind to test a set myself after seeing Dzenno's fantastic results with these turbos. No stage 3 car on stock turbos are even close.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I tried to change the title but it isn't really changing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe @Sticky can help you?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    In that event a thread title such as "help me figure out this oil consumption issue" (if thats what you have) would be appreciated...
    A bit of a large request from a Guest Vendor don't you think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you desire for it to be changed I will change it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was suggestive and I don't think it was out of line all things considered. But hey it's your forum, doesn't really matter what I think.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A bit of a large request from a Guest Vendor don't you think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    It was suggestive and I don't think it was out of line all things considered. But hey it's your forum, doesn't really matter what I think.
    No, it doesn't, just something to keep in mind though that edits of that nature are usually reserved for vendors. We'll see what the thread creator says.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It seems Robs request was directed to the OP.
    Sorry to hear about your issues Malaka1. What kind of mileage have you got on the car? Did you not have a Procede?
    I have just completed 10,000 miles on my RB's boosting 19.5 psi on all that mileage at 5600ft of altitude which equates to a actual turbine speed output of 22psi and knock would have not had a single hickup.
    Have you had any boost leaks since you fitted the rb's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    It seems Robs request was directed to the OP.
    Sorry to hear about your issues Malaka1. What kind of mileage have you got on the car? Did you not have a Procede?
    I have just completed 10,000 miles on my RB's boosting 19.5 psi on all that mileage at 5600ft of altitude which equates to a actual turbine speed output of 22psi and knock would have not had a single hickup.
    Have you had any boost leaks since you fitted the rb's?
    I have 53k miles on the car about 10k with the RB turbos. I did have the Procede before but I switched to JB3 before the RB turbos went in. No boost leaks since then.

Sticky- I guess change the title of the thread to: Rob Beck turbos oil consumption/ wg rattle?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK so Terry sent me a fix for the wastegate rattle! Awesome!

On a side not I was accidentally running 17.5psi on just pump gas no meth the other day and the car pulled really hard and I had no misfires or codes... I think we should start focusing on running more boost and making more power on just pump gas screw the meth and race gas..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad the rattle fix helped but the real fix is likely simply mechanical adjustment, a spring clip, etc.

On the boost w/ pump gas with the CPS module you can run more boost but it becomes somewhat of an unnecessary risk compared to what you can do with a meth kit. You need the fueling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky- I guess change the title of the thread to: Rob Beck turbos oil consumption/ wg rattle?
    Changed as requested.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let us know if it does resolve the rattle. If it does not, let me know and we can try to see if the spring washer may help. If not we may need to look into adjusting the wastegate actuators.

As for the running high boost on pump. You just have to log and make sure all is well, all the time, if constantly pushing the ragged edge of tuning. All too often a guy makes a comment like that then ends up with a cracked piston ring land which too causes smoke and oil consumption. You'd be running/idling poorly and likely picking up some codes, so that being your case is doubtful.

OK so Terry sent me a fix for the wastegate rattle! Awesome!

On a side not I was accidentally running 17.5psi on just pump gas no meth the other day and the car pulled really hard and I had no misfires or codes... I think we should start focusing on running more boost and making more power on just pump gas screw the meth and race gas..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you running jb3 or jb4?
    At 17,5 psi on pump (93?) you were probably pulling lots of timing. Make sure to log but i wouldnt run more than 15 psi on pump with stock timing. Meth is a must with upgraded turbos if you plarunning more boost than that.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Malaka1, even if something is wrong with the turbos I'm sure Rob is there, readily available, to assist you in anything you may need addressed...i don't know how many calls and endless email threads I've had with him when I had questions/concerns, both good and bad, and he always took the courtesy and patience to explain them...he's a great guy, great asset to this community, and definitely don't see him leaving you hanging...$#@! will go sideways sometimes, or most of the time if you're me, and all you can hope for is to have vendors/tuners that'll come through and help to the best of their abilities when required...

A couple weeks ago on my car a plastic piece of the rear intake tube broke off (after the little gasket there deteriorated) and went right into the compressor wheel getting it chewed up...he didn't have to do anything here warranty-wise but he did, for a very small fee, compared to what a new unit would cost...it was obvious the rear turbo didn't fail due to internal malfunction...i'm sure he'll help you out resolve the issue in the best way possible

In terms of oil consumption, i'm not sure what to tell you at this point, anything is possible...its possible on some cars to have higher oil consumption once RBs are installed but its also possible that a turbo oil seal is going, as well as many other things (i.e. pcv, valve guides, etc)...I'll see how my oil consumption turns out this time around...i'm using OEM BMW 5w-30 synthetic oil now...and i've also got my stock catback on instead of the AE catless (going to stock catback by the way is the best mod i've done on this car since I bought it lol i didn't even know how quite my car can be as the exhaust was mounted less than 2 months into owning it)...

Here's some pics of the recent rear turbo carnage on my car in all its gory:

Rear intake tube gasket that broke:
    Click here to enlarge

Rear intake tube (if you look closely a piece on the end there at the top is missing, that's what got eaten by the rear turbo):
    Click here to enlarge

Compressor wheel chewed up:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Malaka I am saying this and I work with a competing vendor to RB, many people at all mod levels are having oil burning problems... Most if not all are running oil other than BMW oil, once they switch back to BMW oil the consumption lessens or stops altogether. Are you using BMW oil and filters? If not pleae try to switch back and see if that helps the issue. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by TurboBullett; 12-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TurboBullett Click here to enlarge
    Malaka I am saying this and I work with a competing vendor to RB, many people at all mod levels are having oil burning problems... Most if not all are running oil other than BMW oil, once they switch back to BMW oil the consumption lessens or stops altogether. Are you using BMW oil and filters? If not pleae try to switch back and see if that helps the issue. Hope it helps.
    Are you saying people in general or those with upgraded stock units?
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast