Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

My Feral Kitten!!

Ok so a few months ago in my backyard all of a sudden 3 kittens and a mom cat showed up. They moved into my shed where I normally keep my lawnmower and decided to hang around. Being a cat owner (8 year old stray named Nemo) I decided to make their life a little bit easier and began feeding them. Black holes, is the only way to describe the ferocious little beast when food came near them. This went on for about 2 months now I think they are around 4 months old, they play with me in the yard while the mom watches, they get fed and have a nice place they can curl up in and sleep.

Made some videos of them and posted them to my youtube channel so you guys can see the happy kittens and their mom taken about a month ago:

After interacting with them they are getting a bit more approachable, they certainly like to play, chase the ball etc. One thing though is you have to remember they are wild, so even though in the videos they look like they are perfectly tame they are not. For instance, I can only touch them during feeding time, or more recently at their playtime. Once they are fed they like to keep their distance and reinstate the no touching rule, they don't scratch or bite they just create more distance between themselves and me. This video shows some progress of the kittens during their feeding time:

There are 2 completely black ones, and one that is black and white as you guys see in the videos. Their mom is totally gray.

A couple of day ago I noticed that the B&W kitty didn't eat, normally that one is the first to the dish, establishes even being the alpha by shooing the others away. It was also the first one to get into the house when I wasn't looking, it was the 1st one to get pet, pretty much the bravest one of the bunch. Saw it throw up but it remained playful and somewhat happy, not much change in the attitude except the not eating part. Figured something didn't sit right and that a day later it might get better. Well today would have been the 4th day of not eating, also the playfulness completely gone and it was just a sad miserable looking kitty that seemed in pain or not feeling well at all.

So I chased the critter around the yard for a while till I gave up. Switched to a different strategy, when feeding time came, I knew it would be by the door with the mom and the other ones but not eating. I put out my cat carrier with a blanket in there and waited till around 4pm. Came out and saw all 3 kittens piled into the carrier Click here to enlarge. Cranked open the cat food and the 2 healthy ones came out as I knew they did and I closed the door behind them and took the carrier into the house. Searched for an emergency hospital that would take care of a semi feral kitty and put the carrier with the sad creature in my 2008 BMW 335i with ETS 5 inch intercooler, JB4 on map 1, and BSH oil catch can. (All installed by Matt from CamberToe).

Here is the pic I took with my phone soon as I arrived at the emergency vet.
    Click here to enlarge

This next one was in the room with the doctor and the kitten is getting the temperature taken.
    Click here to enlarge

During the visit I was told that she (finally found out what it is!!) is stable and looks pretty good for not eating for so long. They gave her a shot of antibiotics, got some fluids in her to rehydrate and set another visit for next week. Since I found out that it's a she I gave her a name, Moya. I am a big sci-fi nerd so I named the kitty after a space ship from one of my favorite tv shows, Farscape. Took Moya home and opened the door to the backyard seeing that the entire family is still sitting by the door waiting for her. Had to grab a 2nd kitty litter tray from the shed and clean it up a bit so I figured I'll set the carrier outside and let the mom and the rest of the kittens see Moya and know that she is all ok.

Now I'm not racist or anything but I made this one observation. The mom came to the carrier and sniffed and walked around it and did her thing I guess, but the 2 black ones immediately started sticking their little paws in the door and started tugging at it and tried to pry it open to bust her out of there....naturally Moya got very excited and tried to do her part from her side and started digging and pushing the door. Had to put an end to that and brought her inside the house where I made a small room all for her. Will go and take some more pics and hopefully I can tame her because I would really like to keep the cute little beast.

She became a bit more active in the room, even ate a tiny bit which is a plus. She's still quite a bit scared of me, probably very scared from the vet visit as well. I know that this was one hell of a long post and if you finished reading it, you can go AAAWWWWWWW........Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Ok so a few months ago in my backyard all of a sudden 3 kittens and a mom cat showed up. They moved into my shed where I normally keep my lawnmower and decided to hang around. Being a cat owner (8 year old stray named Nemo) I decided to make their life a little bit easier and began feeding them. Black holes, is the only way to describe the ferocious little beast when food came near them. This went on for about 2 months now I think they are around 4 months old, they play with me in the yard while the mom watches, they get fed and have a nice place they can curl up in and sleep.
    That's pretty cool and nice of you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

She became a bit more active in the room, even ate a tiny bit which is a plus. She's still quite a bit scared of me, probably very scared from the vet visit as well. I know that this was one hell of a long post and if you finished reading it, you can go AAAWWWWWWW.......
    I finished reading it, great post. Yes, aaaawwwwwww. It's the holidays, we could use some nice positive stories like this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've been taking care of a ferile cat for about 2 weeks. It just sits on my deck all day. It waits for me very early in the morning before sunrise. I'm probably going to make it so fat it won't be able to walk.

Click here to enlarge

PS: I've always hated cats but I like animals. I have a few other animal stories from right here at this new home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Great story and great pics.... Click here to enlarge Keep us updated on how she's doing, she's definitely a cutie Click here to enlarge
    2007 E63 P30
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    It just sits on my deck all day. It waits for me very early in the morning before sunrise.
    That's cool!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i adopted both of my cats the same way..mother got struck by a car up the road and they were left to fend for themselves. They stayed under a bush at my old shop for 2 days, they wouldnt eat or drink the water I left them.

on the 3rd day they drank the water, and more of it as I provided. over the next two days they would come out and sit next to me while on break, but if I tried to touch them they would run. We were supposed to get a big snowstorm that weekend, so I managed to get them both into a box after they finally allowed me to touch them.

I took them both home, and figured Id call the animal shelter in the morning to see if I could put them somewhere, as I didnt think they would get along with my dog. They said they wouldnt be able to take them in for another month...so they stayed with me. My mother got so attached to them that after a month, well they werent going anywhere Click here to enlarge

Both are now spoiled, 13lb cats that like to lounge in the backyard in the summer, chase birds, and soak up the rays. They get tuna or salmon as dessert before they go to bed..LOL

heres a few of mine..

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Ok so Moya hates my guts right now. Really hates me. Went to visit her in the room and tried to touch her, as soon as I did she started hissing at me which is something she never did. Will have to work on getting back into good graces with her it seems. But then again another trip to the vet next week will probably get her pissed off at me once more.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I've been taking care of a ferile cat for about 2 weeks. It just sits on my deck all day. It waits for me very early in the morning before sunrise. I'm probably going to make it so fat it won't be able to walk.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...2/hb1rCl-1.jpg

PS: I've always hated cats but I like animals. I have a few other animal stories from right here at this new home.
    It's a calico cat so most likely a female. Very rarely you end up with a male calico cat. In some cases when ferals get spayed or neutered while they're under the vet will take a bit off the ear as to be able to identify it and not recapture it. Whats going to happen is that one day you might end up with a litter of feral kittens like me cause her ears look perfectly normal to me. I would suggest in looking into having somebody trap her spay her and then bring her back and release her in your back yard. Usually that costs very little or none at all. Then you can continue making her fat.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

It's a calico cat so most likely a female. Very rarely you end up with a male calico cat. In some cases when ferals get spayed or neutered while they're under the vet will take a bit off the ear as to be able to identify it and not recapture it. Whats going to happen is that one day you might end up with a litter of feral kittens like me cause her ears look perfectly normal to me. I would suggest in looking into having somebody trap her spay her and then bring her back and release her in your back yard. Usually that costs very little or none at all. Then you can continue making her fat.
    Ok, that said, the damn thing had an injury on it's neck. To me, it looked like a freshly treated wound and it's been healing quickly since then. So I believe the damn thing got proper treatment just before it wound up pan handling at my deck.

I live on a farm house and I've seen the damn critter around hunting and loitering my crawl space before but now that it's winter and possibly got injured, treated, and sent back to the wild, I think it needs some of that special treatment which I didn't give to those 99% OWS bums.

But it's a farm cat, not an alley cat. It's weird I just got it to enter past my door for food but it's too scared. I just want it to keep warm for the winter but it won't go in the big, warm boxes I left it. I don't want it in here pissing the carpet and $#@!ing the leather couch either :/ what to do??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

If you feed them, they will come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Ok, that said, the damn thing had an injury on it's neck. To me, it looked like a freshly treated wound and it's been healing quickly since then. So I believe the damn thing got proper treatment just before it wound up pan handling at my deck.

I live on a farm house and I've seen the damn critter around hunting and loitering my crawl space before but now that it's winter and possibly got injured, treated, and sent back to the wild, I think it needs some of that special treatment which I didn't give to those 99% OWS bums.

But it's a farm cat, not an alley cat. It's weird I just got it to enter past my door for food but it's too scared. I just want it to keep warm for the winter but it won't go in the big, warm boxes I left it. I don't want it in here pissing the carpet and $#@!ing the leather couch either :/ what to do??
    If the boxes are big enough just put the food inside it. It might take a while but hunger will get the best of the cat eventually. She would rather go into the box and get the food instead of going through the process of hunting and killing something that doesn't want to be eaten. In a few days the cat should enter the box and eventually if it likes it enough start hanging out in it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Now I'm not racist or anything but I made this one observation.
    Just an FYI. You could have left that statement out of your story and it wouldn't hurt the telling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yage202 Click here to enlarge
    Just an FYI. You could have left that statement out of your story and it wouldn't hurt the telling.
    FYI light humor wont hurt you either.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

A little humor never hurt anyone.

Its normal for a cat to hate everyone once it comes back from the vet...its not a great experience foe them usually.

Wisky (the grey one) hates the vet. If im there to hold her while the vet gives her a shot shes ok...but if she gets put on the table forget it lol. Frisky (the striped one) is the complete opposite....shed rather rub against you, purr, and rub her face everywhere...she wont stay still LOL.

Both of mine are long hair cats, so they have to get groomed every 6 months. $300 for a damn haircut for each cat LOL.

They have emotions just like dogs do, mine like to be around everyone, sit in your lap, be brushed, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

you've got a big heart bro! Farscape is good stuff! Happy holidays

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If the boxes are big enough just put the food inside it. It might take a while but hunger will get the best of the cat eventually. She would rather go into the box and get the food instead of going through the process of hunting and killing something that doesn't want to be eaten. In a few days the cat should enter the box and eventually if it likes it enough start hanging out in it.
    I've tried that. It'll only go in for the food and then it stays away. I did find it sleeping on top o the box a couple times. Last night, it was too cold out so I tried to lure it inside or at least get it to understand that I pointed the heater outside for it. I can't keep my door open all night though so it'll have to take my offer eventually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I've tried that. It'll only go in for the food and then it stays away. I did find it sleeping on top o the box a couple times. Last night, it was too cold out so I tried to lure it inside or at least get it to understand that I pointed the heater outside for it. I can't keep my door open all night though so it'll have to take my offer eventually.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vcEteu95E
    I have a similar heater to that, works surprisingly well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Ok giving a small update, the kitty is doing well. Eating once again, trying to socialize her by giving her a lot of attention:
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Cool. Mine's still being a weirdo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

You all are some funny and interesting dudes lmao.....only on bimmerboost. I love this place!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    You all are some funny and interesting dudes lmao.....only on bimmerboost. I love this place!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

NICE! best thread... good hearted stuff! Got to love cats and dogs, cant understand people who dont
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    NICE! best thread... good hearted stuff! Got to love cats and dogs, cant understand people who dont
    Or who abuse them...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Cool. Mine's still being a weirdo.
    In your video that cat looks pretty big. Did you make it that fat already?!!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast