Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    I think the three letters "bmw" has something to do with such a big price on some very small turbo's.

They do look good though.
    Bmw has tried hard to make the upgrade very difficult. The amount of machining it takes to get to replace the turbos that are one part with the exhaust manifold and in the minimal space is overwhelming. The amount of work to get around the restrictions comes with a price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    JPSimon, didn't you order meth kit already?
    You don't find many turbo upgrades without meth, so w/o meth would be quite theorethical dyno graph.
    I did indeed, tracking says it'll be here on friday

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    really terry? you're saying buying a 250 dollar meth kit provides the same power increase as upp'd turbos? maybe in peak numbers but even so i think turbos have it beat. also upgrading your turbos allows you to run more boost, safely, instead of over-spinning an already over-spun stock turbine. the comparison in area under the curve on methkit vs turbo upgrades is laughable, but it comes with a price. coming from someone with your knowledge and background i expected a more professional and honestly 'better' outlook on performance modifications. if you truly believe a meth kit is comparable to a turbo upgrade i can see why shiv doesnt wish to argue with you.
    Literacy FTW? I'm saying only a fool would upgrade their turbos but not also add methanol. It would be like doing large turbos and then reinstalling the factory downpipes and intake. Foolish.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

He meant you don't find many cars with upgraded turbos and without meth.
    Exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Literacy FTW? I'm saying only a fool would upgrade their turbos but not also add methanol. It would be like doing large turbos and then reinstalling the factory downpipes and intake. Foolish.
    lol only a fool? that's ridiculous, there are plenty of people (if not the majority) that want a pump gas daily driver. Meth should not be necessary, and not getting meth when getting upgraded turbos is nothing like "installing the factory downpipes and intake". it's a nice addition and my kit will be here shortly, but to call it "foolish" is ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is great news! Congrats to RB on the release, the first 7 on the list and to Terry for the tuning!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Awesome, congrats RB for all the hard work and to the lucky first 7!
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    lol only a fool? that's ridiculous, there are plenty of people (if not the majority) that want a pump gas daily driver. Meth should not be necessary, and not getting meth when getting upgraded turbos is nothing like "installing the factory downpipes and intake". it's a nice addition and my kit will be here shortly, but to call it "foolish" is ridiculous.
    You're heavily octane limited on the factory turbos. While the reduced back-pressure and lower IATs of the large turbos will push that octane limitation up a bit on the power curve, it's still not going to outperform stock turbos on meth IMHO. If the choice is large turbos on 93 RM2 or stock turbos on 93 RM2 + 1000ml/min of meth, the stock turbo car is going to put up at least 20rw more HP and hold it much more consistently during long pulls. If it's large turbos + 91RM2 you'll be giving up 30-40rw on the stock turbo meth setup.

The real winning combination is large turbos and sufficient octane to safely run them at their true potential. Anyone looking to run large turbos who isn't also planning on doing an inexpensive methanol injection kit for general use is simply leaving gobs of power on the table for no reason.

As an example just look at your car. At 18(?) psi on larger turbos the acceleration times are more sluggish than a stock turbo+meth car. That alone should tell you something...
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If people are really wanting relatively high horsepower on just pump (500+), it's going to take a much "laggier" and modified turbo setup than modded "stockers". Add meth/additional fueling to that and then fun REALLY begins.

That is, unless some of the N54 hardware gives up.......

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    on another lighter note, i like the pics, thanks sticky, i cannot wait to be able to compare ASR's product to this one. im going to ASR on thursday as of now, and im really excited... should get the car back by the weekend or if not early next week.
    It's Thursday. Any news?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

It's Thursday. Any news?
    even thouygh he wrote it in here, this is the wrong thread no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    even thouygh he wrote it in here, this is the wrong thread no?
    Absolutely. He could reply in the ASR-thread. Please..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I agree to some of those points, and my meth kit will be here on friday Click here to enlarge (well it's coming via UPS, and they always $#@! me over so we'll see).

In terms of "acceleration times", I haven't posted any legit ones. If you're referring to the latest video I posted, that was just a fun little thing to show a 5k launch with an AWD car. The full pull definitely would be more sluggish than a meth+stock turbo car (at that same exact time/location) since it was in the very worst possible conditions known to man (85%+ humidity). The cooling+octane enhancement of a meth/water would have shined hardcore in that situation compared to just pump 93 on a heatsoaked-to-hell car. soon that will change and it will be a moot point

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You're heavily octane limited on the factory turbos. While the reduced back-pressure and lower IATs of the large turbos will push that octane limitation up a bit on the power curve, it's still not going to outperform stock turbos on meth IMHO. If the choice is large turbos on 93 RM2 or stock turbos on 93 RM2 + 1000ml/min of meth, the stock turbo car is going to put up at least 20rw more HP and hold it much more consistently during long pulls. If it's large turbos + 91RM2 you'll be giving up 30-40rw on the stock turbo meth setup.

The real winning combination is large turbos and sufficient octane to safely run them at their true potential. Anyone looking to run large turbos who isn't also planning on doing an inexpensive methanol injection kit for general use is simply leaving gobs of power on the table for no reason.

As an example just look at your car. At 18(?) psi on larger turbos the acceleration times are more sluggish than a stock turbo+meth car. That alone should tell you something...
    Last edited by jpsimon; 08-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

it would be nice if everybody with upgraded turbos could post Pbox times for reference (as i did straight away for example) . Thats the only way to know how fast the car is.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

what is pbox though? you had before and after data on that didnt you.. ?Dan has a vbox so we will get some good info soon enough. I have been trying to avoid purchasing one on my own, but as part of a GB, but that hasnt worked out so well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I have access to a v-box and will post up times soon, the weather has been horrible so I haven't bothered doing much of anything... but it's finally getting better so v-box will be broken out soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

PBox is Performance Box which is the same as a VBox and yes i have before and after data and in a week or 2 i will start posting times again on V4 .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    I have access to a v-box and will post up times soon, the weather has been horrible so I haven't bothered doing much of anything... but it's finally getting better so v-box will be broken out soon.
    hey jp if you want i can do some videos too, im right down the street pretty much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12