Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Car and Driver Dinan Stage 3 N54 Numbers (compared against their stock DCT M3)

Well, Car and Driver did a nice little test as the Dinan name somehow continues to manage to get into magazines. Nice to have a name that people recognize, eh?

Well, here is what the Dinan Stage 3 setup manages to do:

Click here to enlarge

Not impressed? Neither am I. Here is a stock DCT M3 sedan they tested:

Click here to enlarge

Thoughts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Impressed with their ET and trap out of a stock sedan, i knew my DCT coupe felt faster then I thought it was going to be (high 12 car)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Is it possible that they only showcase Dinan, other than its identifiable name, because if they blatantly advertise any of the other tuning platforms, that it would destroy M sales? maybe not destroy, but hit them pretty hard anyway

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Is it possible that they only showcase Dinan, other than its identifiable name, because if they blatantly advertise any of the other tuning platforms, that it would destroy M sales? maybe not destroy, but hit them pretty hard anyway
    Plenty of M owners know the tuning scene and plenty of M owners also keep their cars stock and could care less. A tune doesn't make a car an M. Furthermore, when you tune an M, you reach levels the other platforms can't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

just saying, for most people that see a magazine like that, it may make them reconsider.. not everyone is a badge whore and needs an ///M to ///Make themselves feel better Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Dinan really is disappointing other than paying for peace of mind. Their CAI design is impressive but again unfortunately over priced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

just saying, for most people that see a magazine like that, it may make them reconsider.. not everyone is a badge whore and needs an ///M to ///Make themselves feel better Click here to enlarge
    Or enjoys the entire driving experience, or can afford to mod the M, or wants a better motor, or wants something more exclusive Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Dinan really is disappointing other than paying for peace of mind. Their CAI design is impressive but again unfortunately over priced.
    Right on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Or enjoys the entire driving experience, or can afford to mod the M, or wants a better motor, or wants something more exclusive Click here to enlarge
    not knocking, as i said before, i still want one for the total package as you mentioned.. can't see the better motor comment being accurate, and of course, the "exclusive" comment is the badge whore part of it and why a particular breed of people want it, Click here to enlarge

think about what you could have done if you invested the $ into an n54.. yes i know i know, you wanted what you wanted and to do what your doing.. just saying, someone else with the means, may be easily turned off by seeing what is possible with so little from a 335 compared to the M.. maybe thats why they never see anything but the weakly tuned, grossly overpriced dinan cars in the tests

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

not knocking, as i said before, i still want one for the total package as you mentioned.. can't see the better motor comment being accurate, and of course, the "exclusive" comment is the badge whore part of it and why a particular breed of people want it, Click here to enlarge

think about what you could have done if you invested the $ into an n54.. yes i know i know, you wanted what you wanted and to do what your doing.. just saying, someone else with the means, may be easily turned off by seeing what is possible with so little from a 335 compared to the M.. maybe thats why they never see anything but the weakly tuned, grossly overpriced dinan cars in the tests
    If I invested $ into the N54 I would be on a platform with smaller displacement with less power potential. If the N54 was stronger, I'd have it, period. A V8 with an 8400 rpm redline and far more displacement is simply going to rule the day with boost. I mean, an N54 without nitrous can only do, what, 125 mph? It would be a step backwards. Cheaper, ya, but if you want to go beyond that you need to start building the motor, larger turbos, etc., so then it does not even make any more sense cost wise.

The badge is part of it, along with the looks, suspension, brakes, etc.

So yes, much better motor, definitely accurate, just look at the S54 for example, or S52.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

this could be argued elsewhere as its OT, but.. your building your motor anyway right?

so i am going to find it very interesting to see what you get out of yours, and say, what "OldBooster" can get out of his built motor.. $$ aspect set aside...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

this could be argued elsewhere as its OT, but.. your building your motor anyway right?

so i am going to find it very interesting to see what you get out of yours, and say, what "OldBooster" can get out of his built motor.. $$ aspect set aside...
    I would be surprised if oldbooster could hit the numbers I was able to on stock internals without even pushing it.

I already know what the built motor S65's on stock displacement are putting down... and mine won't be stock displacement. Let's just say if the car can hit over 130+ on stock internals, things are going to be insane when built. That is exactly why I chose what I chose.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

LostMarine, do you have ///////////////M3 replica sideskirts and ////////M6 replica wheels on your car to make your ////////335i feel better?

The N54 big dick/little dick swinging thing can be comical. Is the N54 335i an amazing value? YES. Calling people who buy M's badge humpers? Cmon. It was like guys with $$$$ built WRX's hating on stock STi's in 2004 as the upgraded ones were faster in a straight line only. Let alone the brembos, 6 speed, and other things that made the STi far superior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    LostMarine, do you have ///////////////M3 replica sideskirts and ////////M6 replica wheels on your car to make your ////////335i feel better?

The N54 big dick/little dick swinging thing can be comical. Is the N54 335i an amazing value? YES. Calling people who buy M's badge humpers? Cmon. It was like guys with $$$$ built WRX's hating on stock STi's in 2004 as the upgraded ones were faster in a straight line only. Let alone the brembos, 6 speed, and other things that made the STi far superior.

jumping in cause you feel threatened huh, who 's got a complex now, not me.. i buy what i like boss, show me how many options i have for sideskirts.. OMG, M6 rep wheels!!?? oh no..
    did i ever say i don't want an M, nope, never said it, in fact im pretty sure even sticky can recall that i love the car, for all the reaons above, except the better motor part.. so uh.. spend i bit more time trying to find your dick than finding reasons to start $#@! in a convo you don't belong in..

notice the difference in tone you get vs my and sticky's convo, him and i were conversing in normal tones, your just engaging in douchebaggery and get the the "your a dickhead with too much time and not enough realworld friends" tone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

jumping in cause you feel threatened huh, who 's got a complex now, not me.. i buy what i like boss, show me how many options i have for sideskirts.. OMG, M6 rep wheels!!?? oh no..
    did i ever say i don't want an M, nope, never said it, in fact im pretty sure even sticky can recall that i love the car, for all the reaons above, except the better motor part.. so uh.. spend i bit more time trying to find your dick than finding reasons to start $#@! in a convo you don't belong in..

notice the difference in tone you get vs my and sticky's convo, him and i were conversing in normal tones, your just engaging in douchebaggery and get the the "your a dickhead with too much time and not enough realworld friends" tone
    WOW internet meltdown! Love it. A bunch of your/you're's and even a stutter "the the."

Your comment started with this:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ It's all good, no one means anyone any ill will in this thread. Just a normal M3 vs. 335i talk, and yes, the M3 does have the better motor, much better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

faster in a straight line only huh? Looks like the Dinan had better roadholding and braking. Not looking to get into the circle jerk. I'm just sayin'.... On the other hand-13.0 1/4 for a tuned 335? Shameful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Morpheus Click here to enlarge
    faster in a straight line only huh? Looks like the Dinan had better roadholding and braking. Not looking to get into the circle jerk. I'm just sayin'.... On the other hand-13.0 1/4 for a tuned 335? Shameful.
    Roadholding can be influenced tremendously by tire compound let's not act like a car that can pull more around a skidpad means that is transitions better or has better suspension geometry.

The M3 has taken the 997.2 Carrera around Laguna Seca as well as being just 4/10's off the much more powerful turbo, which means it was making up the power difference in the corners.

To get the 335 to handle like an M3 you basically need to give it everything the M3 already has.

Braking is going to be dependent on tire compound and contact patch as well, the 335 is wearing wider meat. Put those same tires on the M3 and see what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

This is getting good Click here to enlarge

Dinan has really lsot me here with these numbers. I was somewhat of a Dinan fan but honestly fo the price, i wont own anything of there anytime soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

the Dinan 335 offerings are pretty much a joke compared to the competition.

Everytime I see their products I think of the Tommy Boy line about taking a $#@! in a box marked "warranty"
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sniz Click here to enlarge
    the Dinan 335 offerings are pretty much a joke compared to the competition.

Everytime I see their products I think of the Tommy Boy line about taking a $#@! in a box marked "warranty"
    i looked for hours trying to find a clip of that for another thread and couldn't find it Click here to enlarge

My original point, was ASKING if you thought that they don't go to the REAL aftermarket stuff because a lot of readers may be surprised at what can be accomplished with very little to make it competitive-directly competitive to the ///M3..

THE FIRST THING people look at when doing a car comparison is the HP/TQ #'s.. Now, i don't know what a Dinan stage 3 car has, but lets just say, you replaced the dinan car with a JB3, map 5, FMIC and KW V3 coilovers and put it to the test against a stock DCT.. that would be very, very interesting and i think we can agree would be much, much closer.. and that MAY detract from M sales.. that was my original intent of this discussion. not really the m vs 335 $#@! again. we KNOW the 335 is better Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ They honestly never get to the real aftermarket stuff, has nothing to do with M or not M. They featured a Dinan M3 before the Dinan 335 in that issue. They always feature big names and it is a huge battle to see who gets featured. If you are a big name tuner and are in a big name mag, you are set for life. The only way to screw that up is to pull a henessey. To see stuff like a JB3 or Vishnu product it would take an enthusiast mag at best for a publication.

How often do you see Ruf Porsches featured over Protomotive for example? The latter will blow the doors off the Ruf for 1/8 of the price but your average guy reading a magazine doesn't know anything beyond what the magazine will tell him. Thankfully we have forums where we can interact with the information and add or modify it.