Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No

    Did ESS damage a car running another tune on purpose at Mfest?

    I'm not saying they did, just providing the information for you guys to decide for yourselves. This thread was censored where it originated so it became necessary for the discussion to be hosted here where everyone can get the uncensored details, as usual.

    Here is what happened:

    Guy goes to Mfest.
    Guy has Powerchip tune.
    Guy decides to try out ESS tune.
    Says he doesn't want it, wants to go back to powerchip.
    Claims ESS got upset and put a file in his car that damaged it as "revenge" or "payback" for not making the switch.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW-PRINCE
    I attended Mfest 4 this year. I partcipated at the track and had the Powerchip tune on my car since April 22nd 2009. The car has been nothing but perfect. I haven’t had a single problem with it. When I went to the track, Eloy from RPI talked to me and offered me at tune. He said it will tune more power than the current one I had and it will give me more mid-range HP. Thinking it is a RPI chip, he then referred me over to Roman from ESS. I spoke to him and he gives me a deal that if I don’t like his tune he will put the Powerchip tune back in my car. I took the deal and he also gave me the DCT tune to try.

    I finished from one track session and I did not like the ESS tunes. I asked ESS to put back my Powerchip tune, and Roman gave me attitude and was upset saying it will take him another 40 minutes to reflash it. He then told me that my car will blow from Powerchip’s tune and that it could blow on my way home. He recommended I should be flashed back to stock because when I drive off from now I will have nothing but problems. Knowing the tune was reliable from one year experience, I kept the tune in my car from Powerchip. As soon as I drove off I got emissions light on. Constantine and Max were there next to me to witness what happened. I showed numerous Mfesters and they were puzzled. I then got brake light malfunctions the next day and all these different malfunctions came up. Omar from San Diego, a fellow Mfester who’s a technician, checked my car and said the malfunctions on the car but the OBD scanner is saying there are no problems. Matt from Powerchip overseen Omar checking my car and I explained the situation to him. He checked my car and noticed my software tune was not the same one I originally had before. My car was acting up from when Roman touched my car with his tune. I then called BMW from my car and they said to drive it back and whenever I can to take it to the dealership.

    The next day when I got back from Las Vegas, my car would not start. Numerous malfunctions came on the screen and it would not switch into neutral. A flat bed tow truck came and towed my car to the nearest dealership. The dealership checked my car and was clueless as to what was wrong. After many tests, the DME on my car burned and I just got my car back today. I feel very upset and disappointed with ESS for what they did to my car. ESS offered a “trial” to bring customers. I did not like it and that doesn’t give them the green light to ruin my car. I write this so all Mfesters are aware of what happened to me and so everyone can be careful as I know everyone’s M means a lot to them. SHAME ON ESS!

    I got my car back today and luckily made it to the 626 meet in time tonight.If you have any questions or comments please feel free to message me. I have attached my repair order for everyone to see.
    The repair paperwork:

    Click here to enlarge

    The original thread (which has now been censored) : http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/show...+flashed+mfest

    Now, is there anything to this? Decide for yourselves, but it is valid to bring up what is going on.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I read this last week, it sounds bad - it got messy for both parties. Only way to check is for the tune that was put back in was correct to be compared against Jeremy's tune on file for that customer (as he did it before Matt). And it appears it's too late for that now.

    This is why "test" drive tunes never go right. Years before people took off with PC tunes from the PC booth and never paid. Also think of the liability for no money - what if the flash bricked or corrupted? Now you are out some serious money. Waivers need to be signed. This is coming from someone in the flash business.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    I read this last week, it sounds bad - it got messy for both parties. Only way to check is for the tune that was put back in was correct to be compared against Jeremy's tune on file for that customer (as he did it before Matt). And it appears it's too late for that now.

    This is why "test" drive tunes never go right. Years before people took off with PC tunes from the PC booth and never paid. Also think of the liability for no money - what if the flash bricked or corrupted? Now you are out some serious money. Waivers need to be signed. This is coming from someone in the flash business.
    Shouldn't the responsibility fall on ESS to repair this mess though? They clearly were the last ones to mess with it.

    I agree with you, best to avoid the "test drive" tune idea altogether.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Shouldn't the responsibility fall on ESS to repair this mess though? They clearly were the last ones to mess with it.

    I agree with you, best to avoid the "test drive" tune idea altogether.

    I'm just playing devil's advocate. As much as I don't want to be a neutral party - there is no concrete evidence that ESS messed with it. There are holes in BMWPrince's story unfortunately or he's not articulating his points well, IMO. Did Matt do a read to confirm? Unfortunately it's his word vs. tuners. The public can't access the files nor read them in WINOLS anyways to see what was really on there. However something DID happen to cause the customers car to run like that. In a competitive market (PC vs ESS beef), all signs point to yes.

    I've flashed cars that had phantom mechanical problems and was blamed for it too, it's part of the business. That's why you should always do a system check before and after, and IF the car is as $#@!ed up as they said it was (max ignition correction, knocking) then it needs to be in writing, screenshot of the logs, and the customer needs to be politely turned away. Simple as that. That's if thats even true. Why would you want to put your name on something that possible has previous problems/engine damage? That was their fault.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm just playing devil's advocate. As much as I don't want to be a neutral party - there is no concrete evidence that ESS messed with it. There are holes in BMWPrince's story unfortunately or he's not articulating his points well, IMO. Did Matt do a read to confirm? Unfortunately it's his word vs. tuners. The public can't access the files nor read them in WINOLS anyways to see what was really on there. However something DID happen to cause the customers car to run like that. In a competitive market (PC vs ESS beef), all signs point to yes.

    I've flashed cars that had phantom mechanical problems and was blamed for it too, it's part of the business. That's why you should always do a system check before and after, and IF the car is as $#@!ed up as they said it was (max ignition correction, knocking) then it needs to be in writing, screenshot of the logs, and the customer needs to be politely turned away. Simple as that. That's if thats even true. Why would you want to put your name on something that possible has previous problems/engine damage? That was their fault.
    Honestly, I'm not stating that ESS is at fault here or BMW prince is right. However, the fact is, ESS was the last one to touch the ECU by all accounts. It would seem they have a responsibility to make sure the ECU works as it did previously.

    The whole thing is a bit odd but I also find it hard to believe Roman would be malicious due not selling a tune. If someone read the file and saw that he in fact did intentionally try to screw someone... it would destroy the credibility of ESS.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I agree, the responsibility is tough here. Either way a $#@!ty situation. Lengths can be made in the future to avoid this in my post above.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    282
    Rep Points
    245.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    That is REALLY shady.
    Until we get some input from Roman about this, all we can assume is that he $#@!ed the car up when he "reflashed" it.
    I knew that the "test a tune" wasn't going to end well for everyone.
    Best of luck to the OP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    241
    Rep Points
    174.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sorry but the OP's story doesnt add up. First he wasn't happy with the ESS tune and then he wanted to purchase it but didnt have the right credit card, then it turns out he only told them that he wanted to purchase it because he didnt want to hurt their feelings. Sorry I'm not taking sides here but it sounds a little fishy to me. Could ESS have incorrectly reflashed his? Yes. Could it have been done maliciously? Possibly. But there are too many holes in his story. Just my two cents.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    1.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The ECU was last flashed by PC so it really has nothing to do with ESS. I was standing right there and I was IN the car when we flashed the original tune back into his car. The tune that he had on the car was NOT safe and we explained to the customer that he needed to let the adaptive maps kick in before driving his car hard. I was there, and IN the car. End of story. Now he wants the ESS tune but thats not going to happen because he burned the bridge with them already with that ridiculous thread.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,280
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    ya his story just keeps changing around ever so slightly, so its abit shady to start with.
    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    241
    Rep Points
    174.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RPIpower Click here to enlarge
    The ECU was last flashed by PC so it really has nothing to do with ESS. I was standing right there and I was IN the car when we flashed the original tune back into his car. The tune that he had on the car was NOT safe and we explained to the customer that he needed to let the adaptive maps kick in before driving his car hard. I was there, and IN the car. End of story. Now he wants the ESS tune but thats not going to happen because he burned the bridge with them already with that ridiculous thread.
    So now he wants the ESS tune? This story keeps getting better and better.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Posts
    2,704
    Rep Points
    2,103.5
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think BMWprince didnt like the tune and he caused all this BS on himself. Read the full original thread.
    Click here to enlarge



    EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Monster135 Click here to enlarge
    Sorry but the OP's story doesnt add up. First he wasn't happy with the ESS tune and then he wanted to purchase it but didnt have the right credit card, then it turns out he only told them that he wanted to purchase it because he didnt want to hurt their feelings. Sorry I'm not taking sides here but it sounds a little fishy to me. Could ESS have incorrectly reflashed his? Yes. Could it have been done maliciously? Possibly. But there are too many holes in his story. Just my two cents.
    Those are some pretty big holes... so now he goes and tried to bury him? This guy is just some kid, right? Maybe he got embarassed his allowance couldn't cover it...

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RPIpower Click here to enlarge
    The ECU was last flashed by PC so it really has nothing to do with ESS. I was standing right there and I was IN the car when we flashed the original tune back into his car. The tune that he had on the car was NOT safe and we explained to the customer that he needed to let the adaptive maps kick in before driving his car hard. I was there, and IN the car. End of story. Now he wants the ESS tune but thats not going to happen because he burned the bridge with them already with that ridiculous thread.
    Wait, so after you flashed the original PC tune back in then PC took a look at the car? And you are claiming the Powerchip tune was not safe on what grounds? Wasn't he running this tune happily for quite some time? Didn't you sell this same tune for quite some time?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    157
    Rep Points
    88.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    whats with all the powerchip hatin?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xxe92xx Click here to enlarge
    whats with all the powerchip hatin?
    Specifically what?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    157
    Rep Points
    88.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    im reading that the car had an unsafe tune according to RPI..

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    818
    Posts
    533
    Rep Points
    549.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wait, so after you flashed the original PC tune back in then PC took a look at the car? And you are claiming the Powerchip tune was not safe on what grounds? Wasn't he running this tune happily for quite some time? Didn't you sell this same tune for quite some time?
    LOL Thats what I'm thinkin all of a sudden its unsafe gimme a break...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xxe92xx Click here to enlarge
    im reading that the car had an unsafe tune according to RPI..
    I'm waiting for Eloy to clarify that.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Encino, CA
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Not only shady, but very un-classy. Forget the fact that ESS fried the guys' DME while flashing, what about talking smack about PS so blatantly? ESS is always on the attack towards their competition; always trying to create fear and doubt. They did on the forums and "in the field"... Absolutely no business ethics, and so very low class.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RPIpower Click here to enlarge
    The ECU was last flashed by PC so it really has nothing to do with ESS. I was standing right there and I was IN the car when we flashed the original tune back into his car. The tune that he had on the car was NOT safe and we explained to the customer that he needed to let the adaptive maps kick in before driving his car hard. I was there, and IN the car. End of story. Now he wants the ESS tune but thats not going to happen because he burned the bridge with them already with that ridiculous thread.
    What does the adaptations have to do with a fried ECU? Are you telling me that there is a possibility that the customer didn't let the car adapt, which caused the ECU to fail?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    306.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm waiting for Eloy to clarify that.
    so am i

    so let me get this str8

    For years they ran the "dangerous" pc tune and then switched over to a competitor...however, if that pc tune is so dangerous and RPI is so good abt predicting when an engine will blow due 2 bad tuning, how come we havent heard of any blowing after getting the pc tune @ RPI? Also, if the PC tune is that bad and you guys are so customer service oriented, why didnt you switch the old customer's you tuned to your new supplier? Playing devil's advocate but i think i have a fair point

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    so am i

    so let me get this str8

    For years they ran the "dangerous" pc tune and then switched over to a competitor...however, if that pc tune is so dangerous and RPI is so good abt predicting when an engine will blow due 2 bad tuning, how come we havent heard of any blowing after getting the pc tune @ RPI? Also, if the PC tune is that bad and you guys are so customer service oriented, why didnt you switch the old customer's you tuned to your new supplier? Playing devil's advocate but i think i have a fair point
    Your point is the exact same as mine. My car was tuned at RPI under Eloy's supervision by Powerchip and I find it hard to believe he would have let me leave with an unsafe tune.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    306.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Your point is the exact same as mine. My car was tuned at RPI under Eloy's supervision by Powerchip and I find it hard to believe he would have let me leave with an unsafe tune.
    Put it this way, when u were running times as the quickest dct/e92 m3 at one point courtesy of pc and rpi, I bet rpi gained a few sales off that too no?


    The sad thing abt the tuning/aftermarket game are the agendas... U don't know if someone has 1 and what they are till it's too late

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,899
    Rep Points
    31,882.3
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    Put it this way, when u were running times as the quickest dct/e92 m3 at one point courtesy of pc and rpi, I bet rpi gained a few sales off that too no?


    The sad thing abt the tuning/aftermarket game are the agendas... U don't know if someone has 1 and what they are till it's too late
    Yes, correct, RPI, PC, and Evosport all gained business specifically due to that.

    We are still waiting for clarification as to what Eloy meant as it just does not make sense to me for him to say Powerchip tunes are dangerous when he had Powerchip tuning my car on his dyno and supervised the entire process. If it was dangerous, he would have said so then and there. Eloy is a good guy and RPI does great stuff so it is just confusing and don't think he would buy into this claim that ESS has been pushing about PC tunes being dangerous.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    241
    Rep Points
    174.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, correct, RPI, PC, and Evosport all gained business specifically due to that.

    We are still waiting for clarification as to what Eloy meant as it just does not make sense to me for him to say Powerchip tunes are dangerous when he had Powerchip tuning my car on his dyno and supervised the entire process. If it was dangerous, he would have said so then and there. Eloy is a good guy and RPI does great stuff so it is just confusing and don't think he would buy into this claim that ESS has been pushing about PC tunes being dangerous.
    ESS scare tactics at its best... pushing their own agenda through someone else. SAD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •