Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

ESS M5/M6 S85 V10 to supercharger to start under 10k?

Click here to enlarge

This is what Eloy from Raceprecision, who is an ESS dealer, is stating:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RPIpower
    The projected price is around the same as the E92 kits which are under $10k to start
    If this is correct, ESS will have the best value and has undercut the rest of the market, as in Gintani, significantly.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The components probably cost half of that so they are making a fat enough margin. Vortech kits go for US$4000 odd with the only difference the addition of the intake manifold and a few injectors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The components probably cost half of that so they are making a fat enough margin. Vortech kits go for US$4000 odd with the only difference the addition of the intake manifold and a few injectors.
    Absolutely, the components themselves rarely make up the total cost of the BMW aftermarket part, whatever it is.

However, clearly the tuning is not easy as the S85 has been out for some time and there still is not a well priced kit on the market. G-power does not really count in my mind so basically the options will be Gintani and ESS for single vortech setups.

I wonder why the M3 gets those setups so much faster? Just the market willing to mod?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wow.

Second hand M5 plus ESS SC. A beast for very little cash. Sounds like a winner.

Will BMW ever build a better sounding engine, than the S85? I doubt it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Absolutely, the components themselves rarely make up the total cost of the BMW aftermarket part, whatever it is.

However, clearly the tuning is not easy as the S85 has been out for some time and there still is not a well priced kit on the market. G-power does not really count in my mind so basically the options will be Gintani and ESS for single vortech setups.

I wonder why the M3 gets those setups so much faster? Just the market willing to mod?
    I have had experience of tuning a supercharger kit on a E39 M5. It is not as difficult as you might think. With the superchargers linear rpm related boost it makes things elementary in comparison to a turbocharger. By using the larger injectors that are matched to the expected power output the full throttle maps need slight triming and work on the part throttle maps. The timing is also relatively straight forward.

I think the M3 got it so much faster as there is a far bigger market due to the age group that own those cars. The M5 is also a pretty problematic car to start with so modifying it to such a extent causes quite a few concerns. I reckon the selling difference between M3 and M5 supercharger kits will be 10 to 1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Both ESS and Gintani systems will be awesome! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have had experience of tuning a supercharger kit on a E39 M5. It is not as difficult as you might think. With the superchargers linear rpm related boost it makes things elementary in comparison to a turbocharger. By using the larger injectors that are matched to the expected power output the full throttle maps need slight triming and work on the part throttle maps. The timing is also relatively straight forward.

I think the M3 got it so much faster as there is a far bigger market due to the age group that own those cars. The M5 is also a pretty problematic car to start with so modifying it to such a extent causes quite a few concerns. I reckon the selling difference between M3 and M5 supercharger kits will be 10 to 1.
    Yep, your thoughts on the tuning vs. a turbo make complete sense.

I don't doubt a 10:1 estimate on sales of the M3 vs. M5, the M3 is always the better tuning platform most likely due to the owners being willing to mod.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I am curious as to your thoughts. If you had your choice of a f/i e9x m3 or e60 m5, which would you choose? Do you think the e9x is a better platform?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    I am curious as to your thoughts. If you had your choice of a f/i e9x m3 or e60 m5, which would you choose? Do you think the e9x is a better platform?
    This is a excellent question that I have been trying to get the answer myself but have yet to succeed.

The E60 M5 has a serious torque problem, even the E39 matches it in most of the rev range so supercharging it will give a big improvement on overall driveability. The V8 does not have this problem but just benefits outright from the torque.

The E9x V8 is also far more reliable and will soon be a more common available engine in scrap yard so in the long run it makes more financial sense to Mod a E9X for safety sake and for headache free ownership.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Wow.

Second hand M5 plus ESS SC. A beast for very little cash. Sounds like a winner.

Will BMW ever build a better sounding engine, than the S85? I doubt it.

I agree, the S65 sounds amazing, picking up a used one and bolting on one of these kits could be very tempting for many.

On the price, I think we need more specifics, but when you look at the options, the price is not a big deal if you are going for the most power.

The ESS E90 kits have a non inter-cooled option that are priced around 8.7K, that is most likely why the prices will start below 10K on the M5, but the ESS inter-cooled options on the E9X start at around 13K and up after that. I'm sure the two higher boost/inter-cooled setups, like the comparable E9X kits, will be priced competitively.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    Bolt Ons - Best ET 11.88 Best Trap Speed 119.8 MPH
    60-130 MPH (3 shifts) 10.71s
    Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharger 60-130MPH (3 shifts) 7.06s
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
    I agree, the S65 sounds amazing, picking up a used one and bolting on one of these kits could be very tempting for many.

On the price, I think we need more specifics, but when you look at the options, the price is not a big deal if you are going for the most power.

The ESS E90 kits have a non inter-cooled option that are priced around 8.7K, that is most likely why the prices will start below 10K on the M5, but the ESS inter-cooled options on the E9X start at around 13K and up after that. I'm sure the two higher boost/inter-cooled setups, like the comparable E9X kits, will be priced competitively.
    No doubt, they will do a non-intercooled option in order to claim the lowest entry price title. It smart in a way to have a very attractive price to the average guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hrmmy looks like it maybe time for an e60 m5. God help us
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Hrmmy looks like it maybe time for an e60 m5. God help us
    I just wonder why these have taken so much longer than the S65. Same basic motor, ECU has been out longer, I don't get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I just wonder why these have taken so much longer than the S65. Same basic motor, ECU has been out longer, I don't get it.
    I would think, because the m3 market has always been a bigger market for sc kits. Maybe the ecu is harder to crack?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge