Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Big power possibilities???

Being new to turbo'd BMW's I wonder as to why I haven't seen more BIG builds as it relates to horsepower. The N55 is an inline 6 correct? When comparing it to the Mk IV Supra's engine design, wouldn't the same logic apply? Slap a larger turbo on, add a front mount, and adjust timing/fuel, if needed better rods, etc. Is this just not possible with our cars (strength of block, clearance issues, lack of after market support) or has it just not been figured out yet? I'm hoping that tuners or anyone with experience can step in and shed some light on this? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

No one yet has cracked the OBD II port code on the realtively new N55. The BMW engines are more about all around drivability than peak horsepower at the strip out of a 3L undersquare design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is not the same thing as the Supra motor.

The N55 has valvetronic which complicates things a bit and also there are not as many of them out there as N54's yet. So, they are not being pushed.

Your general logic of a big single turbo is correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB7 Click here to enlarge
    Being new to turbo'd BMW's I wonder as to why I haven't seen more BIG builds as it relates to horsepower. The N55 is an inline 6 correct? When comparing it to the Mk IV Supra's engine design, wouldn't the same logic apply? Slap a larger turbo on, add a front mount, and adjust timing/fuel, if needed better rods, etc. Is this just not possible with our cars (strength of block, clearance issues, lack of after market support) or has it just not been figured out yet? I'm hoping that tuners or anyone with experience can step in and shed some light on this? Click here to enlarge
    It isnt that simple. The problem isnt the hardware but the software. The modern day N54/N55 have literally thousands of sensors all over the car that need to see an adequate signal or else they will send the ECU into limp mode or retard tons of timing. The ECU is the main problem, slapping a huge turbo on this motor isnt the hard part, its getting the whole car to not flip out when it sees 29 psi boost at 6500 RPM when it actually is looking to see 7 psi boost.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like your name
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses. I really do hope that the aftermarket grows for this platform. After emailing back and forth with Burger Tuning and asking them why the 1 and 3 series with the N55 are showing 60 whp with their tune and the F10 535i only getting 30 whp they said the ECU has been the challenge and that going forward there are no plans to try and better that number Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the responses. I really do hope that the aftermarket grows for this platform. After emailing back and forth with Burger Tuning and asking them why the 1 and 3 series with the N55 are showing 60 whp with their tune and the F10 535i only getting 30 whp they said the ECU has been the challenge and that going forward there are no plans to try and better that number Click here to enlarge
    You have an F10 535i?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes. 2011 M Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's the same for the X5... the 535 and X5 share the same programming differences compared to the 1 and 3 series (which share the same programming)...

No one has been able to tell me definitely what the difference in programming is...

1. this is for sure the ECU (white box) on the 1 and 3 series isn't present on the X5 and I believe the 535, so hooking up the CANbus wires is one difficulty (not knowing where to hook up).
    2. the X5 and 535 both have the 8 speed transmission (something the 1 and 3 series don't have).
    3. Terry told me the same thing (no plans for a JB4 N55 release for the X5 or 535). Vishnu is suppose to be releasing a procede for the X5/535 according to some sources, but I won't buy it... They've been telling me since July '10 they were working on a tune... Meanwhile flash tunes have been released by most of the major tuners already for all N55 platforms (including the X5 and 535). I think for the X5 / 535 crowd a flash is a better option, but not until a hand held solution is released (for those of us who use their's as DD 6-7 days out of the week, and can't remove the ecu for benchload purposes)
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vishnu told me they are working on it too and that was a couple of months ago...can you share why if/when they finally come out with it you wouldn't buy it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vishnu told me they are working on it too and that was a couple of months ago...can you share why if/when they finally come out with it you wouldn't buy it?
    I had a procede for my '08 335xi, it worked, and i rarely had any problems with it, I also spent $995 and shiv personally installed it. That is not the reason why I wouldn't buy another one...

After I upgraded to my X5 back in July/Aug '10, I saw a few months later that a harness had been released by vishnu for the E90 N55 platform and continued to question (every few weeks) on the progress of a release for the X5/535 platform... I kept being told, "in a few weeks we'll have answers", or "we don't have anyone to test it out on", or a multitude of excuses. I eventually went to Terry and BMS (while still having an expensive $1g paperweight of a procede at home.

Terry, because I was a test bed for X5 usage provided me with the JB3, Gratis, and I have been using it since Nov/Dec '10, with minimal problems (with the latest firmware I have had no problems). It's unfortunate that even he doesn't have plans for the X5/535 platform, but it is what it is. This is still not why I won't buy a procede when it is released...

The Meat of it is, the JB3 / JB4 is a safe tune, contrary to what vishnu/shiv say. It's as safe as the procede, and doesn't need XYZ to do what it does. It's a fraction of the cost and has 10 times better customer support (probably because the procede has time times the customers and therefore they can't provide adequate tech support when problems do pop up (IDK, i'm just speculating). Personally I don't like shiv's attitude towards his customers or those who don't approve of his tune... (Sounds like another tuner who's been black listed recently in the MB world). I'm just a drop in the bucket, and my opinion matters little to him or his fanboi's.

Don't get me wrong, the Procede works, but it doesn't work for everyone...

Now If Shiv were to provide me a Procede Gratis for the X5 as a test bed, I wouldn't be complaining, but that' won't happen... So no skin of my back (or any other part of my body).

IF they release one, great, but I'll be going to a flash once a handheld solution is released... just my .02 cents
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thx for the response. I'm still inclined to hold out for some of the other tuners to get better results than what Burger is offering. Like I said before, the feedback on the Burger tune is good it's just that for ~20whp I would rather spend the money on other mods at this point. Maybe Burger will be reading these threads and change their mind about trying to get us more hp! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Look into RSI Tunings Down pipe for the 535 (It's a little on the expensive side compared to the 335 DP, about $600+, compared to $400 for the 335), and you might look into getting a custom FMIC done as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes. 2011 M Sport
    Have you looked into flashes yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see that you have done the exhaust, fmic, and JB3...have you dyno'd to see what kind of gains you got? Do you have some pics of your set up you can share?