Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    6.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    As long as your planning on goind to a LSD, why not get a Wavetrac. I think you can get one with a 3.46 final drive ratio. I did the Quaife, but looked into the Wavetrac, mainly due to the lower gearing. I thought the same, I don't need the top end and should see better acceleration. I ended up with the Quife because the Wavetrac would have run about $1,200 more, and I wouldn't get the discount for the core.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tunachris Click here to enlarge
    As long as your planning on goind to a LSD, why not get a Wavetrac. I think you can get one with a 3.46 final drive ratio. I did the Quaife, but looked into the Wavetrac, mainly due to the lower gearing. I thought the same, I don't need the top end and should see better acceleration. I ended up with the Quife because the Wavetrac would have run about $1,200 more, and I wouldn't get the discount for the core.
    Wavetrac's ontop of my list, but you still need a automatic diff housing to replace.. used preferable or like $2.2k from the dealer. That's from what I've been told by vendors so far.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Wondering; does 10 hrs @ $136 an hour + tax to install the Diff / Clutch / Flywheel on an MT sound about right? That's about $1360 before taxes
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    yes, thats about right. ya know, you could have bought mine a few weeks ago for $800 Click here to enlarge

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Wondering; does 10 hrs @ $136 an hour + tax to install the Diff / Clutch / Flywheel on an MT sound about right? That's about $1360 before taxes
    136 per hour? Damn.

    I'd tell them to take that down to $100 an hour.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    For reference, i paid about $3k total out-the-door

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yes, thats about right. ya know, you could have bought mine a few weeks ago for $800 Click here to enlarge
    I think I completely missed that.. damn! Cause that price and the price of the install kit form wavetrac for the welded diffs is about the same +- $100
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    136 per hour? Damn.

    I'd tell them to take that down to $100 an hour.
    I figured as much, but that's first quote so I know there's some room for negotiating.. it's a good BMW performance shop down here. They've always been on the expensive side but they do good work.. AA
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    I think I completely missed that.. damn! Cause that price and the price of the install kit form wavetrac for the welded diffs is about the same +- $100
    now your gonna cry. no, that was for the complete swap, 1 in, 1 out. no install kit needed, maybe 5 hrs of labor Click here to enlarge

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Rep Points
    442.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I need to do the math to figure out what the speeds in each gear would be, but according to road and track the car does 107 in 3rd, 142 in 4th, 155@6500 in 5th and same in 6th. It's a bit too much for me, but I think the lower first and second would hurt a little.
    Here is the power vs. speed on my FBO car with meth. As shown the power on 4th on this car begins to decrease at about 108 mph. In case the RPM is raised 10% by the final gear the power reduction would be about 15 whp at this speed.

    The Road and Track figures seems to be far too high in the sense that the engine would deliver usable power at those speeds. Perhaps they are the speed figures at redline but e.g. a stock N54 has its maximum power well below redline, at 5500 RPM or so. For FBO cars the RPM for maximum power is raised to 6000 RPM but not much more.

    Since I personally wants good power over a wide speed range I'll keep the stock final gearing on the MT. It's a matter of usage profile and taste though, I know others have other preferences and may look for maximum pulling force at lower speeds where the AT gearing is beneficial.

    Yellow is actual power and blue is DIN.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Rep Points
    559.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    Here is the power vs. speed on my FBO car with meth. As shown the power on 4th on this car begins to decrease at about 108 mph. In case the RPM is raised 10% by the final gear the power reduction would be about 15 whp at this speed.

    The Road and Track figures seems to be far too high in the sense that the engine would deliver usable power at those speeds. Perhaps they are the speed figures at redline but e.g. a stock N54 has its maximum power well below redline, at 5500 RPM or so. For FBO cars the RPM for maximum power is raised to 6000 RPM but not much more.

    Since I personally wants good power over a wide speed range I'll keep the stock final gearing on the MT. It's a matter of usage profile and taste though, I know others have other preferences and may look for maximum pulling force at lower speeds where the AT gearing is beneficial.

    Yellow is actual power and blue is DIN.
    This is actually useful, and I appreciate the graph. It looks like if I want good times at the strip, I should stick with the stock gearing. If I raced at VIR or whatever, the lower gearing might help. All I know is methanol is now at the top of the list!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Points
    4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    having come from the Infiniti G35 community I can tell you that we used to take the rear pumpkin from the auto and swap it onto the 6mt when going FI. The auto rear pumpkin had 3.33 gearing where the 6mt rear pumpkin had 3.73. As a result the FI guys could go as high as 219mph with a ecu reflash allowing for 7000rpm redlines and stay in boost longer. On the other side of that token the NA guys would switch to 4.08 gears in the rear diff and would gain roughly 15% acceleration in every gear but their top end was limited to around the 160mph that was on the gauge cluster.

    I have a huge learning curve to overcome with these BMWs. I spent so much time reading and trying things first hand with my g35 that in alot of ways I'm starting from scratch learning the N54 and what the 335i platform is capable of and what its limitations are. So I apologize in advance if some of what I say doesn't translate to the N54 platform correctly in comparison to the vq35 platform found in the g35

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by landshark Click here to enlarge
    The auto rear pumpkin had 3.33 gearing where the 6mt rear pumpkin had 3.73. As a result the FI guys could go as high as 219mph with a ecu reflash allowing for 7000rpm redlines and stay in boost longer
    You went longer when you went forced induction, that isn't odd that sounds right.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,324
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have tried the 3.46, then a 3.85 and now a 3.15 on my car. It seems to like the 3.15 the most. It didn't seem to get the required load in the shorter 3.85 and my car dropped about .3sec on the quarter compared to the 3.46. It picked up .5sec with the 3.15. With the 3.15 it makes first and second so much more useable in all aspects as wheel spin is kept to the minimum and the car makes more than enough torque to pull it out of the corners with the longer legs.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Rep Points
    559.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Well it looks like the proof is in the pudding. I'm convinced that it would be worthwhile to stick with the stock gearing. Personally, I would love to drive a 355 with LSD before I made the jump.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,829
    Rep Points
    31,808.7
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Well it looks like the proof is in the pudding. I'm convinced that it would be worthwhile to stick with the stock gearing. Personally, I would love to drive a 355 with LSD before I made the jump.
    Why wouldn't you want an LSD?

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    454
    Rep Points
    559.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why wouldn't you want an LSD?
    $$$$ I have other things in mind first. Methanol, mostly, then possibly suspension and wheels, but I'm sure the LSD would help more than shiny new wheels. I need to start putting my overtime in a separate account!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,925
    Rep Points
    1,372.6
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Dog box transmission and peaky power band -> shorter gears makes sense.
    Not with N54 wide power band and street transmission.

    With dog box, shifting does not take time pedalling with the clutch.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    286
    Rep Points
    349.4
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    Well it looks like the proof is in the pudding. I'm convinced that it would be worthwhile to stick with the stock gearing. Personally, I would love to drive a 355 with LSD before I made the jump.
    Doing what I've been doing for the past couple of months (road course) the lack of LSD really shows.. for others, it may not be a big deal.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •