Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Cool HOWTO: COBB & JB4 Meth Safety!

Ok, had I known the mess I'd get myself into by talking about this setup a few months back and actually running it and showing some great results I think I'd post this HowTo immediately back then as I got literally bombarded by people asking how to do it. So, to have something others can refer to and me not having to type it up each and every time here's a DIY thread.

First things first, IF YOU WON'T DATALOG BACK OFF...this is easy to do, no magic, BUT 1) stacking tunes is NEVER recommended 2) to know what your car is doing you should datalog no matter what you're doing if you're running an aftermarket tune.

If you'll do this, do yourself a favour and learn to datalog with the JB4. Otherwise, just run either Cobb or JB4 only and be happy.

Now that the annoying disclaimer is out of the way, first THE LONG VERSION:

1) Set the JB4 to map 0 so you can flash your car with Cobb

2) If you're already running Stage 1 aggressive, skip this step. Otherwise, flash the car with their Stage 1 Aggressive (93 octane gas) map. Reasons for this map and not higher stages is because you want a nice conservative map for when meth flow isn't there or fails or runs out. The car will fail back to a nice comfy safe boost, conservative timing map, with solid 12 AFR which is much better/nicer to drive on than the stock map, until you're ready to fill up on meth again.

NOTE: This map runs about 2-4deg timing down low and 10.5deg of ignition advance up top, unlike the stock curve which is ~10deg to 14.5deg up top. Don't be surprised that your timing is low, this is exactly what its supposed to be on stage 1 and don't worry about it. Important thing is that you keep it in mind as your new timing curve.

3) Once flashing is done, PULL THE KEY OUT and wait 30secs for the car to go to sleep.

4) Start the car up, set the car to MAP 4 (passthrough map), go for a drive and do 3-4 2000-7000rpm pulls just on pump gas. This will allow the car to set appropriate pump gas adaptations. DATALOG and make sure that everything is running right (boost is there, car is driving smooth, no major timing dropouts, AFR is nice and flat at 12). If there are ANY issues, don't run the JB4 yet, first solve your issues/codes/etc.

5) If everything is fine so far its time to set up the JB4 user settings as follows:
    - all FUEL/rpm cells set to ZERO
    - all CPS/rpm cells set to ZERO
    - bogfix set to ZERO
    - lagfix set to ZERO
    - FutureUseB=100 (this will disable JB4's timing curve based autotuning. JB4's autotuning is based on the stock timing curve and will be too aggressive for the cobb stage 1 timing curve which is considerably lower)
    - Fuel Pressure = 90 (leave it at default for safety as you up boost past the load levels that the DME knows about. With the JB4 upping boost past the cobb boost curve, the DME won't know the "true" load and thus having this fuel pressure will help reach fuel targets (afr) faster.
    - Boost Gain = 20
    - Feed Forward Max = 0
    - Max Boost = 20psi
    - In the Methanol settings set the meth additive to 10 to start (starting low).

Once all of that has been setup set the car to MAP 3 and do 4-5 pulls from 2000-7000rpm and record the logs using JB4's datalogger. Again make sure that everything (boost/timing/AFR/throttle) is fine. If you don't see any timing retard and AFR is going down to 12 FAST, you can try upping boost through meth add again and add another 10 (i.e. 1 extra psi).

Each time you up boost do another 3-4 runs and see if everything is fine. Its up to you how far up you're willing to go with meth add, your car obviously. My advice, don't go over 19psi or you'll roast your turbos pretty fast...

and that's it....DATALOG! Click here to enlarge

=====================

SHORT VERSION (read the long version though Click here to enlarge otherwise you may screw some $#@! up bad!):

1) Flash Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2) Set JB4 to MAP 4 (passthrough) and do some adaptation runs on pump gas and datalog and make sure everything is "fine" (see above)

3) Set the following JB4 User Settings using the JB4 software
    - all FUEL/rpm cells set to ZERO
    - all CPS/rpm cells set to ZERO
    - bogfix set to ZERO
    - lagfix set to ZERO
    - FutureUseB=100
    - Fuel Pressure = 90
    - Boost Gain = 20
    - Feed Forward Max = 0
    - Max Boost = 20psi
    - Meth additive = 10 (+1psi on top of Cobb's curve, starting low)

4) Change the JB4 to MAP 3

5) Do some runs with meth and check that everything is "fine" (see above)

===========

Have fun!
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 12-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for this!
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for this!
    Glad I got this off my back lol Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Glad I got this off my back lol Click here to enlarge
    I wanted to ask, but I was also aware that you probably got hundreds of request ... so it was only a matter of time Click here to enlarge
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice writeup. However IMO once the race map (or ATR) goes public this won't be necessary. I don't believe there's anything significant to be gained by stacking a JB4 on top of a flash tune, if anything you will be down on power regardless of boost due to the conservative timing curve of Stage 1 Aggressive. But hey, that's just my opinion.

The only benefit per se would be the fuel control offered by the flash tune, but otherwise, anyone who's running meth should simply stick to one tune. Other than fuel control, what performance benefit is there by doing this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's just an option that some people may find useful...I for one really enjoy "progressively" high boost based on existence of meth flow and that's why this is currently my top choice until something else comes out...I won't mind trying/running a full on race map on race gas
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks Dzenno, this is great info! :-)
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    adding some logs i took today with additive meth 50 which could be a reference since they look good to me.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good to me Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Looks good to me Click here to enlarge
    and NO high boost missfires past 6200 rpm now.... hehe
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge it couldn't have been procede related could it? Lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great post bro, thanks for taking the time to do this.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge way overdue
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Great post bro, thanks for taking the time to do this.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    thanks Dzenno, this is great info! :-)
    Thanks for this!
    Like everyone above me said...THANKS a bunch! Very good info for the community and your input is always appreciated in the N54 world Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge cheers bud
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for sharing, i wish i wasnt lazy to use meth, too much to think about whilst, although if i have meth i would then only use JB like the thousands out there with the stock timing = more power, or as im running both tunes now, only for temp reduction.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for sharing. Would like to try this out as well as the JB Nitrous side of things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bash Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for sharing, i wish i wasnt lazy to use meth, too much to think about whilst, although if i have meth i would then only use JB like the thousands out there with the stock timing = more power, or as im running both tunes now, only for temp reduction.
    stock timing is fine with stock turbos and decent boost. For upped turbos guys you need the fueling side 100% covered by the flash and slightly less timing. Meth should be used as knock suppressor and NOT as fueling.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    stock timing is fine with stock turbos and decent boost. For upped turbos guys you need the fueling side 100% covered by the flash and slightly less timing. Meth should be used as knock suppressor and NOT as fueling.
    +1 absolutely for larger turbos... But i dont think that day will come for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can see how this will be useful, well done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky this Sticky!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky this Sticky!
    I will if others feel it is worthwhile to sticky it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think its worth it given just how many people asked me about it across a few forums...I can just point them to the sticky Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well ok then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn saw 20.8 psi today LOL with 60 additive . Fuel gauge with boost got way past max . Gonna try run stage 2+ sport stock throttle with + 2 psi on top. Timing is too low on stage 1.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast