Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

modded E60 535i 12.7 in the 1/4

TRACK DAY!

A friend of mine (in a 335, JB4) headed out to the Rockingham dragstrip today where they were doing unlimited fun runs. We got there as they were opening up and you could literally drive right up and run! This was my first ever trip to the strip so I was definitely nervous, excited and a little giddy. Funnily enough everyone was checking out his car and hardly anyone looked at my 5. Maybe cause I left the baby seats in the back. Click here to enlarge

Anyway, this was both our first time racing so we pretty much ran each other the entire time. I did run against someone else but it was just for fun as his car was maybe half the horsepower of mine. Anyway, I had been working on my launches and the best time I had ever got, according to the cobb, was 2.29 (60'). I did not have high hopes for the track but on my first run, I posted a 1.848 60' time and ran a 12.730 @ 109.27. I did start to run into traction issues and it turns out I was lining up a little bit off the "groove". The guy running the tree helped me out a bit and got me lined up right so I could run better.

I did all 1st gear launches. I should of done some 2nd gear ones but, oh well, next time. When I got traction, I ended up beating out the 335 with jb4 on map 2 each time. He also had some traction issues but, when we both got traction, I ended up winning out. Not bad for a 535i against a 335i. Temps were 60 to 68 degrees so it was a great day for running! I attached the best 2 runs I had, both against the 335.

Click here to enlarge
    2008 BMW 535iA | Cobb Stg2+ | FBO | Meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Not bad at all and a pretty good 60 foot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks Sticky! Still trying to figure out what all I should write up. The biggest thing was the line up. As this was my first track attempt I have no idea if this is normal or not, but if you are out of the groove, man, you may as well put on ice skates. I launched in first gear, brake boosted up to about 2000 then went about 1/2 throttle as I let off the brake. Like getting shot out of a cannon. If you didn't line up right, nothing else mattered. I also bypassed the burnouts. Since I have the stock LSD, I didn't see a need to burn out one wheel and, honestly, I don't think it hurt me at all.

I was hoping to crack into the 11's and I probably can do that on a different day now that the jitters are out. Overall it was great fun and, honestly, I didn't feel like I put a ton of wear on the car, which was nice. I kept an eye on the oil temps (thru the cobb, the 5 series has a MPG gauge instead of an oil temp gauge) and when I got up to 250, I took a break.

I have no idea what it would take to break into the 11's but that would be awesome (baby seats and all)!

EDIT - I was running on 93 pump gas, Cobb stg 2+ aggressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Very good 60 foots, and great ET. You are driving the car to the max, that is what the slip is telling you.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Very good 60 foots, and great ET. You are driving the car to the max, that is what the slip is telling you.
    Yep, exactly. He may be able to get a little more out of it getting into the 1.7x range but he is just about there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Nice times for a 5! I wonder what the world record is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Thanks man! I still feel like I am leaving a bit out there. I don't know if i've got 1/2 second or not but I think with a little practice I should be able to get the times down just a bit. It was my first time at the track so I doubt I can't improve somehow.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, exactly. He may be able to get a little more out of it getting into the 1.7x range but he is just about there.
    That would be impressive. Once I get a staggered setup and some fatter rear wheels it may become a possibility.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Nice times for a 5! I wonder what the world record is?
    Thanks Terry! I listed mine on drag times and i'm the #2 spot for a 535. #1 is 1988 535i running boost, drags and a 2.93 LSD. I'm pretty close to him so with a little more work I should be able to take him. However, there is not much data on the n54 driven 535's so I would not say there is even enough data to proclaim a WR. http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--535i-Drag-Racing.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xclone Click here to enlarge
    That would be impressive. Once I get a staggered setup and some fatter rear wheels it may become a possibility.
    You were running street tires, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You were running street tires, right?
    Yes. Goodyear eagles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yes. Goodyear eagles.
    Move to drag radials and you can get another 2/10's out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Move to drag radials and you can get another 2/10's out of it.
    One I upgrade my rims I'll probably throw some DR's on my stock rims. Also, in the spring hopefully the Cobb alpha map will be out. Combined with Meth or Race Gas, I hope I can get into the 11's. Considering the power it took to get into the 11's today, I would be super impressed.

Thanks Sticky!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

One I upgrade my rims I'll probably throw some DR's on my stock rims. Also, in the spring hopefully the Cobb alpha map will be out. Combined with Meth or Race Gas, I hope I can get into the 11's. Considering the power it took to get into the 11's today, I would be super impressed.

Thanks Sticky!
    11's may be tough but some meth will definitely help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

11's may be tough but some meth will definitely help!
    Gotta set a tough goal - it's not any fun if it's too easy. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

You should rig up one of our WW meth kits. Then use the Cobb race maps with race gas as your safety system. We've had a few 535 customers install the kit with pretty good results! Click here to enlarge Instead of our FSB you'll want to source a basic boost switch to toggle it on/off.

Found a post on n54tech of a 535xi, best time 12.45: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13530

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You should rig up one of our WW meth kits. Then use the Cobb race maps with race gas as your safety system. We've had a few 535 customers install the kit with pretty good results! Click here to enlarge Instead of our FSB you'll want to source a basic boost switch to toggle it on/off.

Found a post on n54tech of a 535xi, best time 12.45: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13530
    Thanks Terry! Definitely looking into your WW kit. My biggest concern is definitely the safety system. Running race gas as a backup seems like a pretty solid idea. The track won't open again until spring so I've got some time. Will definitely be talking with you about the system soon though. Is your kit something that is pieced together or can you PM me a link (or post here).

Thank you for linking that post. His 60' was ridiculous! Damn those XI's. With some bigger tires I think I can definitely get a better 60' and once meth is flowing on a race map, look out!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

While I understand the 535i is heavier, there is no reason in the world why it should be so much damn slower than a 335i. The curb weight of a 535i is 3704 vs the 3593 of a 335i, which is only a hair over 100 lbs.

What is so different on the two other than a 100 lb +/- difference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

These Cobb race maps aren't overly aggressive. I think there's more in there with more boost up top! Laloosh states that it's only running 16.5 psi at 6000 RPM....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Thanks Terry! Definitely looking into your WW kit. My biggest concern is definitely the safety system. Running race gas as a backup seems like a pretty solid idea. The track won't open again until spring so I've got some time. Will definitely be talking with you about the system soon though. Is your kit something that is pieced together or can you PM me a link (or post here).

Thank you for linking that post. His 60' was ridiculous! Damn those XI's. With some bigger tires I think I can definitely get a better 60' and once meth is flowing on a race map, look out!
    One of these days we'll add on to the site without the FSB but with a basic boost switch for $349.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    While I understand the 535i is heavier, there is no reason in the world why it should be so much damn slower than a 335i. The curb weight of a 535i is 3704 vs the 3593 of a 335i, which is only a hair over 100 lbs.

^^^???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

3593 doesn't sound right for a 335.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

3593 doesn't sound right for a 335.
    Any auto site with the 335i curb weight state the same thing. Why doesn't it sound right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Any auto site with the 335i curb weight state the same thing. Why doesn't it sound right?
    Just seems way too heavy. The M3 is only 355X,..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Just seems way too heavy. The M3 is only 355X,..
    so like i suggested, go verify my statements on any car site.

edit- btw E90 M3 weighs Curb weight: 3726 lbs.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/m3/2010/f...html?sub=sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

so like i suggested, go verify my statements on any car site.
    Not calling you a liar just taken aback by the weight and therefore the 535 should be capable of much more as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not calling you a liar just taken aback by the weight and therefore the 535 should be capable of much more as well.
    Remember this was my first time ever on a 1/4 mile track - so I doubt I am driving the car as hard as it can go. I only logged my last run (the only run where the guy lost my timesheet of course) and while I am no expert, I am seeing timing drops all over the place. I need to do more testing obviously but this doesn't look good to me (but, again, I am not an expert).

It could easily be my IAT's were getting too high. We had to sit 20 minutes before the run because they were letting the "big guns" thru (full out funny cars, bikes that were running in the 9's, etc). Are timing drops on the shift like this normal?

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast