Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Is there a occ for the 135i?
    All I find offered are occ's for the 335i.
    Will they fit both models?
    yup, fits the same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    To have carbon build up even if you do proper maintenance, use the right fuel and take care of your car? It's bullsh1t to know there isn't anything you can do about it.
    It really sucks, I'm sorry. There are motors that have it even worse, like the RS4 V8.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If you are not running meth, occasional Seafoam treatments is recommendable. Buildup in DI turbo cars can get to the point where the oil lines to the turbo cartridges clog, and the turbos fail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric@helix Click here to enlarge
    If you are not running meth, occasional Seafoam treatments is recommendable. Buildup in DI turbo cars can get to the point where the oil lines to the turbo cartridges clog, and the turbos fail.
    I don't understand how meth would help to keep oil lines to turbos clean, or why they would be clogged in the first place if oil is changed frequently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

meth is only to keep valves clean, clean valves mean no deposits can make it elsewhere like through the exhaust. Not everyone wants to use meth which is understandable. Changing gas grades or adding gasoline additives wont help because these are direct inject engines, fuel never touches the back of the intake valves. it kinda sucks, a good catch can will help as well as seafoam; but we shouldnt have to do this to a 45k dollar car. This is an inherent problem with DI engines and happens a lot on Audis and VWs too.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    meth is only to keep valves clean, clean valves mean no deposits can make it elsewhere like through the exhaust. Not everyone wants to use meth which is understandable. Changing gas grades or adding gasoline additives wont help because these are direct inject engines, fuel never touches the back of the intake valves. it kinda sucks, a good catch can will help as well as seafoam; but we shouldnt have to do this to a 45k dollar car. This is an inherent problem with DI engines and happens a lot on Audis and VWs too.
    All this problems and for what? Better fuel economy? Carbon clean up is not something your average joe can DIY, which means that usually after 50k miles of driving (end of your warranty usually) you'll have to spend a bunch of money on labor just to have your engine cleaned if it starts having problems due to carbon build up. Is it just some DI cars that suffer from this? Or all DI cars suffer from major carbon build up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

All this problems and for what? Better fuel economy? Carbon clean up is not something your average joe can DIY, which means that usually after 50k miles of driving (end of your warranty usually) you'll have to spend a bunch of money on labor just to have your engine cleaned if it starts having problems due to carbon build up. Is it just some DI cars that suffer from this? Or all DI cars suffer from major carbon build up?
    Practically all DI suffer from this by design. Gasoline is a powerful solvent, the carbon build-up on the valves is actually coked on oil. Without gasoline injectors over the intake valves like regular port injected engines to wash the valves; you have buildup of oil that eventually burns and gets stuck to your valves. This causes the valves to not seal/seat properly and pieces of burnt oil to break off and bounce around in your engine.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is very sucky, guess thats just something else to always be on the look out for then, oh well. Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Practically all DI suffer from this by design. Gasoline is a powerful solvent, the carbon build-up on the valves is actually coked on oil. Without gasoline injectors over the intake valves like regular port injected engines to wash the valves; you have buildup of oil that eventually burns and gets stuck to your valves. This causes the valves to not seal/seat properly and pieces of burnt oil to break off and bounce around in your engine.
    So what are the options really? To take the heads off every 20k and clean the valves manually?

All this for a couple MPG?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what are the options really? To take the heads off every 20k and clean the valves manually?

All this for a couple MPG?
    I'd like to know this too. Since, most likely it will happen again, better to avoid it by having them cleaned sooner, before I start experiencing hesitations and to avoid loss of performance. Also, has anyone had their intake valves cleaned after warranty? How much $$$ would a clean up cost?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to know this too. Since, most likely it will happen again, better to avoid it by having them cleaned sooner, before I start experiencing hesitations and to avoid loss of performance. Also, has anyone had their intake valves cleaned after warranty? How much $$$ would a clean up cost?
    bump for answers to this

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

bump.
    Wow. That's all I can think of to say right now. I've been experiencing the shudder at/above 2500rpms since December '10 and (in addition to the recall hpfp/software update) I've had my lpfp and plugs replaced, swapped around coils (getting cyl 2 misfire), had a pre-cat O2 sensor replaced and swapped around (due to a code stating they were swapped) and nothing's working. I'm so tired of the "let's-try-this-or-this-or-this" game! I spoke to a SA today and he thinks it's carbon build up. I have an aftermarket warranty and they'll cover the cleaning - only if a part has been damaged and needs to be replaced due to the build up. I'm kinda leary with going this route - what if THAT doesn't work??? Ugghh!! So frustrating. I hope someone responds with a preventative measure or at least some suggestion that will slow the build up process. I agree, this isn't something you want to look forward to cleaning every other year (depending on how many miles you rack up per year).

Thanks leo for sharing. As much as I'm hating this possibility, at least your post is giving me some sort of closure to this problem.

P.S. I was driving hard and taking long distance trips (in reference to those who say to do this to prevent the build up). I bought the car in August '10 and this started in December.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah np, it must be carbon build-up. lol your car seems to be going the exact same path mine went. Let us know the outcome after the clean up. Mine ran fast as hell and smooth after it was cleaned. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Definitely will update. I'm just so ready to DRIVE my car again!!! Heck, I might make it a point to be with whoever cleans it so I can learn and be able to do it myself. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GRLPWR Click here to enlarge
    Definitely will update. I'm just so ready to DRIVE my car again!!! Heck, I might make it a point to be with whoever cleans it so I can learn and be able to do it myself. Click here to enlarge
    That would be great info to share. You do that! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want to throw in my 2 cents here. Basically at idling at red lights or being parked, my car goes through constant shudders and sometimes they are significant enough to bump up my rpms a few notches. Would carbon build up be the cause of this behavior?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Someone should make a DIY for cleaning this thing up, besides meth Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Someone should make a DIY for cleaning this thing up, besides meth Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like you just gave yourself a weekend project!! lolol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I want to throw in my 2 cents here. Basically at idling at red lights or being parked, my car goes through constant shudders and sometimes they are significant enough to bump up my rpms a few notches. Would carbon build up be the cause of this behavior?
    Not sure, but at idle, mine is fine. It only shudders/misfires at/over 2500rpms when accelerating either hard or just enough to pass someone. Sitting parked, at lights, or under soft or 'normal' accleration the car is ok.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GRLPWR Click here to enlarge
    Not sure, but at idle, mine is fine. It only shudders/misfires at/over 2500rpms when accelerating either hard or just enough to pass someone. Sitting parked, at lights, or under soft or 'normal' accleration the car is ok.
    Yup, that is exatcly what my car was doing. Very bad shuddering at 2500-4000rpms. SES's lights when it was really bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    like some have said, if you run meth it'll clean out your intake tract, seriously, like no joke. the alcohol in water/meth will eat away at the carbon. now i dont know how you girls/guys are with warranty but if you want a way cheaper fix than a porting/cleaning job or a dealer fix then meth is the way to go, also, it will prevent further build up in the future.

i just cant believe it's such an issue honestly. cars can misfire all the time for all sorts of reasons, are you certain its build-up?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol.. dont do meth .. unless your looking for more power.. best thing to do is drive your car hard every once in a while.. get the engine hot and working so i can break down the carbon... fuel wont do anything because like you know its direct injection..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kautiongsr Click here to enlarge
    lol.. dont do meth .. unless your looking for more power.. best thing to do is drive your car hard every once in a while.. get the engine hot and working so i can break down the carbon... fuel wont do anything because like you know its direct injection..
    Guess, I will try this. I don't really drive my car too hard, due to some tickets LOL, need to go to the track or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    im not saying do 100 on 405 ahhahaha.. just drive it hard here and there.. trust me it works.. most people i know that have carbon problems is because they dont drive them hard...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast