Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

N54 carbon buildup - big problem?

Saw this pic on N54tech, car only has 12,000 miles:

Click here to enlarge

Some of you guys getting up there in mileage may be having an issue with carbon buildup and not realizing it. If you have cold start issues or misfires, this could be why.

The N54 doesn't look to be terribly bad, driving hard and good quality fuel will keep things fairly clean for you guys wondering how to prevent it.

How big of a deal is carbon buildup? Here is an RS4 before having the buildup cleaned:

Click here to enlarge

and after:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya that is pretty significant, the ways to prevent it is to use a quality fuel, meth, seafoam every time you change your oil (every 3K), and most importantly get a good OCC!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

uh oh....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

obviously... he doesnt use meth Click here to enlarge haha
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

That was done using an iphone as the accelerometer? =/ I don't know how reliable that software, dynolicious is...but cleaning the build up is definitely a good thing to say the least Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was done using an iphone as the accelerometer? =/ I don't know how reliable that software, dynolicious is...but cleaning the build up is definitely a good thing to say the least Click here to enlarge
    Pretty darn accurate, he also posted dyno graphs later which reflected the Iphone numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Pretty darn accurate, he also posted dyno graphs later which reflected the Iphone numbers.
    Really? I bought this app and never used it thinking it wouldn't be accurate.
    If it has Tits or Tires you know you are going to have problems with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Really? I bought this app and never used it thinking it wouldn't be accurate.
    Give it a shot, you would be surprised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Very interesting. Top tier only gas FTW!I do think most N54 guys forget to get some essential mods like a oil catch can to begin with to make sure there engines are running clean and make sure they are using top tier gasolines. I wonder how big of a impact ethanol has on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

gasoline does not matter the n54 is direct injection, gasoline cant clean the intake valves because it is injected directly into the combustion camber and does not make contact with the intake valves that's why it gets this much buildup on the valves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BOOST3D Click here to enlarge
    gasoline does not matter the n54 is direct injection, gasoline cant clean the intake valves because it is injected directly into the combustion camber and does not make contact with the intake valves that's why it gets this much buildup on the valves.
    So why do people say run higher octane fuel, meth, and drive hard to prevent it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    meth cleans the valves because its injected before the valves...
    higher octane is used to prevent knock, here is why higher octane is used http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm. higher octane number doesn't mean it can clean the valves better its the detergents (techron,nitrogen enriched, ect)they use in the gasoline and the gasoline itself that cleans valves, but this does not matter for the n54 because of direct injection.
    as for the driving hard its actually worse if you dont have a occ and meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BOOST3D Click here to enlarge
    meth cleans the valves because its injected before the valves...
    higher octane is used to prevent knock, here is why higher octane is used http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...question90.htm. higher octane number doesn't mean it can clean the valves better its the detergents (techron,nitrogen enriched, ect)they use in the gasoline and the gasoline itself that cleans valves, but this does not matter for the n54 because of direct injection.
    as for the driving hard its actually worse if you dont have a occ and meth
    I see, thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread, but I need help. I left my car at the dealer (08 n54) because of hesitation/shuddering problems (they had it for 3 1/2 weeks). They couldn't figure out the problem since everything checked "GOOD" (injectors, coils, fuel pump..) BMW later instructed them to pull the intake out and check for carbon build-up, and when they opened it, the car had massive amounts of carbon build-up around the intake manifold and valves. Now the car runs better than when I first bought it at 35k miles, I even came out with the newer fuel pump/software, since apperently the old one was dying. Anyways, I brought the car into the dealer at 49k miles, but the shuddering started aroundd 44k. Now for the question. Are there any other ways of preventing carbon build up? Other than using an OCC? Since this is a DI engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    I know this is an old thread, but I need help. I left my car at the dealer (08 n54) because of hesitation/shuddering problems (they had it for 3 1/2 weeks). They couldn't figure out the problem since everything checked "GOOD" (injectors, coils, fuel pump..) BMW later instructed them to pull the intake out and check for carbon build-up, and when they opened it, the car had massive amounts of carbon build-up around the intake manifold and valves. Now the car runs better than when I first bought it at 35k miles, I even came out with the newer fuel pump/software, since apperently the old one was dying. Anyways, I brought the car into the dealer at 49k miles, but the shuddering started aroundd 44k. Now for the question. Are there any other ways of preventing carbon build up? Other than using an OCC? Since this is a DI engine.
    The best ways to prevent carbon build up are to use high octane fuel and drive hard. To be honest, you can't eliminate it. This is one of the problems with direct injected motors. It sounds like you have build up again which they will have to remove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Well that sucks....yeah all I use now is 91 Chevron/Shell. I dont even want to touch the no-brand 91 oct's anymore....The intake is very clean now though, the car runs excellent....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

Well that sucks....yeah all I use now is 91 Chevron/Shell. I dont even want to touch the no-brand 91 oct's anymore....The intake is very clean now though, the car runs excellent....
    But it is shuddering like before?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I would prolly start looking into doing set of plugs. I'm going to sea foam my girls car soon, and possibly install a cheap meth kit for keeping the intake clean...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Meth solves all problems.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Okay this is what happened:

1. Around 43k miles my car starting hesitating/shuddering when acceleration from around 2k to 4k rpms. It wasn't that bad until 46k miles, the car threw an SES light one time and so I decided to take it into the local dealer the next day. This is what they did: Deviation between adaptation tolerances of the individual INJ and CYL. TD VEH and drove fine CK FC's found CYL 5 misfire ran TP and said to replace the INJ. Injectors were just replaced in AUG. CK SIB'S found 12.06.10 PRFM SIB both integration lvl and INJ all up to date. Said to swap INJ W/another CYL. Swapped CYL 5 INJ W/1 and COIL W/3, then recalibrated INJ and clear adaptations. Test drove the veh and drove fine let sit overnight and then had shop foreman test drive again and vehicle drove fine. CK faults again and no faults returned. Test drove a total of 46 miles.

2. This only helped for like 1k miles. I realized the car wasn't running that great right after I left the dealer, the hesitation was still noticable just not as much as before. Click here to enlarge. So, I waited until it got worse and worse. Around 48k miles I brought it back into the same dealer. Explained to the SA that the problem was never really fixed and the car was shuddering pretty bad. They kept the car for about 1 day and then called me to tell me that they couldn't replicate the problem. They asked me to drive the foreman around so that I could replicate it for him (what BS). The foreman was a complete dick, he had an attitude the whole time and was blaming it on my exhaust and intake, telling me that the exhaust is probably causing back pressure and that he couldn't do anything to help me until the car threw a code. I was like whatever dude and just left pissed off.

3. The following week I decided to finally put a tune in my car even though it was running that great a JB3 my gf bought me for xmas Click here to enlarge. The car starting throwing codes with the Juicebox, my guess is the extra power the JB required made the car choke...

4. I talked to a very knowledgeable BMW master tech from a BMW performance/repair shop and told me to bring the car into a different BMW dealer where his buddy works as a tech there, and leave the codes in the system.

5. Brought it into the new dealer and they told me Asian mike (the friend tech), was going on vacation and couldn't work on my car. I decided to just leave it to someone else hoping they would finally fix it. Picked the car a week after and this is what they did: Low fuel perform short test and found fault code 29D1 29D9 on DME control module. perform test plan B1214 DIGMISFIRE2A following fault entry exists misfire at low fuel tank level. Clear fault memory and test drove vehicle, after test driving vehicle found vehicle to operate as designed.

6. I was very skeptical, I kinda knew this was not the problem, so as soon as I drove the car off the dealer I decided to drive it like i stole it, in order to see if it was fixed or not, and sure enough the car threw an SES light again. It was still shuddering pretty bad. Obviously what they did to it, didn't do sh1t.....

7. Turned around and dropped it off again that same night. They did so much sh1t to it this time, even replaced my fuel pump/software with the latest one, check my cats and 02 sensors, but this wasn't in the work order just the fuel pump part. Anyways, this is what they wrote: 49538 Valve cleaning test drove vehicle and can feel a misfire jolt when driving at 3500 rpm perform short test and found fault code 29D1 DME combustion misfire cylinder 5 found SIB 12 06 10 and followed SIB and swapped injector from CYL 5 to CYL 1 (<--Click here to enlarge this again, you would think they would've learned by now) calibrate injector and test drove vehicle but fault would continue to return after a few mules of driving. Checked spark plugs and found OK . Swapped coils with a set of known good ones. Clear fault and test drove vehicle and fault still return on CYL 5. Check vehicle integration level found up to date. Install fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure and found fuel pressure at specs. Submit PUMA case 37618087 and remove intake to inspect for carbon. Found all cyl valves to be full in carbon, with BMW fuel cleaner cleaned all valves from cyl, after cleaning put car back together clear faults adaptations and test drove vehicle multiple times hesitation and misfire fault did not return.

This was finally the end of my hesitations/shuddering/shaking nightmare that lasted for about 7k miles......Click here to enlarge I actually Click here to enlarge this dealer, because even though it took them forever. They kept at it until they finally found what the problem was, and never blamed on the 2 mods I had when I brought the car in, just a dual cone intake and Remus race exhaust. I was actually starting to like the loaned 2011 328i they gave me Click here to enlarge. Anyhow, I can't wait to start modding my car again, hopefully I won't have to bring it into the dealer for any warranty issues anytime soon. I've brought my car into different dealers for warranty related issues about 8 times since I bought the car back in May of last year. Fukin ridiculous if you ask me (I've had 2 335i loaners coupe/sedan, 4 328is, a POS Corolla and an X3). Anyways, I just received my JB4 last week, and I'm getting my AA downpipes tomorrow, and then gonna install a OCC and FMCI. Maybe a meth kit sometime later this year to avoid carbon build up again. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1833 Post(s)

The foreman was a complete dick, he had an attitude the whole time and was blaming it on my exhaust and intake, telling me that the exhaust is probably causing back pressure and that he couldn't do anything to help me until the car threw a code. I was like whatever dude and just left pissed off.
    What dealer was this? Actually, don't say since you mentioned you modded it. I would be raising hell, and they sure as hell would not be getting those "all 5's" they pressure you into.

ound all cyl valves to be full in carbon, with BMW fuel cleaner cleaned all valves from cyl, after cleaning put car back together clear faults adaptations and test drove vehicle multiple times hesitation and misfire fault did not return.
    Yep, there you go.

Maybe a meth kit sometime later this year to avoid carbon build up again.
    That isn't a bad idea but while you still have warranty I would keep bringing it to them to clean up the carbon build up mess.

You guys say direct injection is sooooo great... please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Are you still on the original set of plugs? I would probably replace those asap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Angry

Yeah my plugs have been changed like twice already in the past 10k miles due to injector issues. Sticky the car is clean now but I'm sure in the future, if I dont get a meth kit. I will be suffering from it again, which really sucks.....how can this be a normal thing for DI engines? To have carbon build up even if you do proper maintenance, use the right fuel and take care of your car? It's bullsh1t to know there isn't anything you can do about it. Of course there is meth, but not everyone wants to go that route....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Is there a occ for the 135i?
    All I find offered are occ's for the 335i.
    Will they fit both models?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Has anyone actually taken pictures of their valves before and after meth? I'm not sold on the idea that it actually would work, at least it didn't make a difference on my last DI car. (2.0T)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast