Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Anyone Else a BBQ Smoker? (big green egg thread)

Not tobacco - meat. In general, I love to cook and have really gotten in to smoking. I use a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) with lump charcoal and different varieties of wood depending on what I'm smoking. I make a pretty mean brisket IMHO (Texas style dry rub). Last night I smoked a bourbon soaked tri-tip and Anaheim peppers filled with cream cheese, feta, cilantro and topped with a slice of bacon:

Click here to enlarge

Pretty good!

Anyone else smoke?

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

That looks absolutely delicious.

I don't have any smoking equipment but I want some now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That looks absolutely delicious.

I don't have any smoking equipment but I want some now.
    Thanks. The WSM is a great smoker, and uses charcoal which purists swear by, but it also has a pretty steep learning curve to figure out how to hold temp for 10+ hours (BBQ = low and slow). I'm very good at it now, but in retrospect, I'd do something like a Traeger pellet smoker - so much easier and the results are almost as good (and still fantastic).

It's another hobby to suck up time and money (there are some custom smokers out there that will run you 5 figures Click here to enlarge), but if you enjoy cooking (and eating), I think it's a blast, and nothing is better than having a few buddies over for a game and eating a brisket that has smoked all day (and opening a nice Zin Click here to enlarge ).

If if you get in to it, I'll send you my rub recipe - I adapted it from an award winning rub by Chris Lilly.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Few more pics. Here are some ribs I did a while ago:

Click here to enlarge

They were good (followed the 3-2-1 method), but I'm not much of a rib guy.

And here are is one of my brisket flats. Absolutely fantastic. Excellent smoke ring, great bark. Mmmmm.

Click here to enlarge

And when there is brisket left over? You can make some amazing brisket tacos:

Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Lookin tasty. Use to smoke ribs and brisket all the time. Growing up in SoCal there is basically no good BBQ. Now that I am in Texas, I don't cook ever. I have basically some of best BBQ within 30 mins. I couldn't come close to what they produce out here. Although they don't have tri tip out here, quite popular in Cali. Leaner and more tender than brisket.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Lookin tasty. Use to smoke ribs and brisket all the time. Growing up in SoCal there is basically no good BBQ. Now that I am in Texas, I don't cook ever. I have basically some of best BBQ within 30 mins. I couldn't come close to what they produce out here. Although they don't have tri tip out here, quite popular in Cali. Leaner and more tender than brisket.
    Ha! No doubt. I love traveling in Texas - fantastic BBQ. Even growing up outside of KC, I'm still a big fan of Texas BBQ (although KC is excellent too). I prefer dry rubs and limited sauce.

And while I may not be able to match someone like Lockhart, it is still fun to experiment.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Ha! No doubt. I love traveling in Texas - fantastic BBQ. Even growing up outside of KC, I'm still a big fan of Texas BBQ (although KC is excellent too). I prefer dry rubs and limited sauce.

And while I may not be able to match someone like Lockhart, it is still fun to experiment.

-Rich
    Lockhart is were it is at. Usually hit up Black's once a month, their brisket and sausage is amazing. There is also Franklin's downtown Austin, but the line for that place is too crazy. Beef ribs are big out here, wasn't ever really into them until I went to John Mueller's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Leaner and more tender than brisket.
    I don't feel tri tip is more tender. Leaner, yes, but not necessarily a good thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Few more pics. Here are some ribs I did a while ago:
    The ribs look fantastic.

I may need to learn how to do this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I don't feel tri tip is more tender. Leaner, yes, but not necessarily a good thing.
    Brisket has to be slow cook to make tender, tri tip doesn't. Tri tip is the basically the bottom part of the sirloin. It is a more tender cut of meat to begin with, as you can just cook it straight on the grill like a steak. Brisket you could never do that, it would be tough as hell to chew. I am a bit unconventional as I smoke my tri tips as well, when I use to still bbq.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The ribs look fantastic.

I may need to learn how to do this.
    It's fun. For a split second I thought about starting a restaurant because it is fun and I enjoy cooking. But as the old saying goes "Know the fastest way to a million dollars? Start with $2M and open a restaurant." Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Brisket has to be slow cook to make tender, tri tip doesn't. Tri tip is the basically the bottom part of the sirloin. It is a more tender cut of meat to begin with, as you can just cook it straight on the grill like a steak. Brisket you could never do that, it would be tough as hell to chew. I am a bit unconventional as I smoke my tri tips as well, when I use to still bbq.
    Agreed. And I do the same thing with tri-tip - but because it is more tender you can smoke it to a lower temp (something like medium or medium rare) and it will still be tender and you don't need the fat content to keep it moist over long periods. Brisket you have to take to a much higher temp (190-200) to get it tender and the fat is much more important to keep it from drying out over that long period. Although I'm unusual in that I prefer leaner brisket to fatty, so I sometimes use the "Texas crutch" (wrap in tin foil around 160 degrees) to keep it moist.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Rich, if you ever need someone to help clear up some of that lean brisket, I'd be happy to come down the hill and dig in. Click here to enlarge

I've never smoked but used to be big in charcoal grilling until we moved up here. It's hard as hell to get a good fire going with the lack of oxygen up here. Had to switch to gas. Click here to enlarge
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Rich, if you ever need someone to help clear up some of that lean brisket, I'd be happy to come down the hill and dig in. Click here to enlarge
    Most definitely. Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I'm thinking of buying a big green egg. I know I can buy a knock off for less. Any reason to buy the 'original'?

I'm very good on the grill, I want to learn how to smoke things. I am going to eat well this football season on Sundays.

I need the large BGE from the description of the sizes on their site:

Specifications:

• Grid Diameter: 18.25 in / 46 cm
    • Cooking Area: 262 sq in / 1688 sq cm
    • Weight: 162 lbs / 73 kgs

The Large EGG can cook:

• 20-pound turkey
    • 12 burgers
    • 6 chickens vertically
    • 8 steaks
    • 7 racks of ribs vertically

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I wouldn't mind buying a knock off if it is just as good and then buying a premade wooden island for it using some of the money I saved.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E91 Stockish and slow AF

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Buddy of mine at work purchased the XL EGG and uses that thing all the freaking time. He played with the idea of buying a knockoff, but after he saw both in person and put hands on, he said the knock off felt cheap and not as "heavy". The thick ceramic walls are what makes them worth the money. Has turned out some really good food. He got all of his techniques from YouTube and they work pretty well. Just remember you can never use lighter fluid in one, the smell/taste will stay forever. He goes as far as using all natural wood and charcoal(no chemical treatment, etc.)
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    2010 BMW S1000RR (Metallic Silver)Click here to enlarge

My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

What is the big deal about this egg?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    It's the rage for home smoking and grilling at this time.

"The Big Green Egg is effectively a ceramic oven with a firebox below the cooking surface. It has top and bottom vents, both of which can be adjusted to control both temperature, humidity and smoke concentrations.
    The big advantage to a ceramic cooker vs. a gas or metal kettle grill is that you have amazing control over the temperature while burning fuel surprisingly efficiently. The ceramic acts as a heat ballast and the BGE is both super efficient and extremely temperature stable. Because of the design, it also tends to use burn less fuel, drawing less air and, hence, loses less moisture during the cooking process. While this also means less smoke production, the smoke tends to stay in the cooking area longer and at lower temperatures."

http://www.friday.com/bbum/2006/05/2...big-green-egg/

Look at that turkey!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbum/141586646/

Last edited by Torgus; 08-27-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking of buying a big green egg. I know I can buy a knock off for less. Any reason to buy the 'original'?

I'm very good on the grill, I want to learn how to smoke things. I am going to eat well this football season on Sundays.

I need the large BGE from the description of the sizes on their site:

Specifications:

• Grid Diameter: 18.25 in / 46 cm
    • Cooking Area: 262 sq in / 1688 sq cm
    • Weight: 162 lbs / 73 kgs

The Large EGG can cook:

• 20-pound turkey
    • 12 burgers
    • 6 chickens vertically
    • 8 steaks
    • 7 racks of ribs vertically

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I wouldn't mind buying a knock off if it is just as good and then buying a premade wooden island for it using some of the money I saved.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FRD135i Click here to enlarge
    Buddy of mine at work purchased the XL EGG and uses that thing all the freaking time. He played with the idea of buying a knockoff, but after he saw both in person and put hands on, he said the knock off felt cheap and not as "heavy". The thick ceramic walls are what makes them worth the money. Has turned out some really good food. He got all of his techniques from YouTube and they work pretty well. Just remember you can never use lighter fluid in one, the smell/taste will stay forever. He goes as far as using all natural wood and charcoal(no chemical treatment, etc.)
    I had the Big green egg before it got smashed in a move. I didnt want to spend the money again on another one so i figured i'd give the Chinese knock off Vision Grill a try for about 1/2-2/3 the price. I honestly couldn't be happier. I use mine to it's full potential, Over night smokes up to 12hrs, normal grillings, searing, cold smoking, indirect, direct, etc. I only use wood and Lump coal, If you plan on using biscuits then you mine as well buy a weber for $100. I can tell you there is absolutely no difference in cooking between the two. Even if you look at reviews for the large Vision grill the only complaints you'll see is "its hard to maintain temp" (so isnt the BGE, it takes time getting use to cooking in a ceramic grill), "its heavy" (well durr, its 1" thick ceramic with a ceramic bowl inside) and "it gets to hot" ( it only takes a little coal and very little air to get temp. Its insulated so it doesnt waste as much heat),

A full 12hr smoke on a 7-8lbs butt takes about 1 standard chimney worth of lump coal. I add lump wood and chips for smoke.

If anyone needs tips, help or advice using a ceramic grill either BGE or Vision let me know. I literally cook 2-3 times a week on it and also do long pork smokes once a week. I've had it for almost a year and never had any issues. If i could do it over again i would have bought the vision from the get-go instead of my first BGE.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    Mods: VM 6466 top mount, VRSF IC, twin disk, and lots more!
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 3000gt MR Click here to enlarge
    I had the Big green egg before it got smashed in a move. I didnt want to spend the money again on another one so i figured i'd give the Chinese knock off Vision Grill a try for about 1/2-2/3 the price. I honestly couldn't be happier. I use mine to it's full potential, Over night smokes up to 12hrs, normal grillings, searing, cold smoking, indirect, direct, etc. I only use wood and Lump coal, If you plan on using biscuits then you mine as well buy a weber for $100. I can tell you there is absolutely no difference in cooking between the two. Even if you look at reviews for the large Vision grill the only complaints you'll see is "its hard to maintain temp" (so isnt the BGE, it takes time getting use to cooking in a ceramic grill), "its heavy" (well durr, its 1" thick ceramic with a ceramic bowl inside) and "it gets to hot" ( it only takes a little coal and very little air to get temp. Its insulated so it doesnt waste as much heat),

A full 12hr smoke on a 7-8lbs butt takes about 1 standard chimney worth of lump coal. I add lump wood and chips for smoke.

If anyone needs tips, help or advice using a ceramic grill either BGE or Vision let me know. I literally cook 2-3 times a week on it and also do long pork smokes once a week. I've had it for almost a year and never had any issues. If i could do it over again i would have bought the vision from the get-go instead of my first BGE.

Great info, exactly what I was looking for. What version/model of the Vision do you have?

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

This was a 7lbs butt i did last weekend. My Igrill2 logs in CSV so i can datazap my meat and grill temps lol. BTW the best investment for a smoker/charcoal grill is an Igrill2. That is a must for same day purchase.

The story behind this was i wanted to smoke the butt at my usual 220-230*f. I set that range on my igrill so that if the temp goes above or below that my tablet or phone alarm goes off so that i know i have to go outside and adjust the grill until its happy at the desired temp. This usually takes 30-1hr depending on ambient conditions. Once its set i can go to bed and wake up the next day with no worries.

I forgot to unsilence my alarm and passed out from to many beers. When i woke up the next day 6.5hrs later my meat had just hit my target temp of 200*f. Just to get an idea, This is the grill temp and how steady it is with 100% no attention. I passed out before i was able to get the grill stable so it went way hotter than i wanted. The up and down waves are from the cunks of wood smoking can naturally increasing temp. At lower temps this isnt a factor.

You have to read these backwards. So normally you go left to right, for this you have to go right to left. Remember this is a 6.5hr log lol. i have others but they are stored on my tablet.

http://datazap.me/u/3000gt-mr/log-14...5?log=0&data=2 <----Grill temp

http://datazap.me/u/3000gt-mr/log-14...5?log=1&data=2 <----- meat temp
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Don't we have smoking thread for the egg stuff?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Don't we have smoking thread for the egg stuff?
    I dont know. if you go back a page i posted some stuff. I actually posted a lot in this thread.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Great info, exactly what I was looking for. What version/model of the Vision do you have?
    http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/classic-b-series/

I bought this particulate one for the slider style bottom vent. It's similar to the BGE lower vent so any attachments and mods that you can use on the BGE will work on this too. They have autotemp fans for maintaining perfect temps without messing with it for an hour and other stuff. I bought mine local but i think SAM's club sells the same model. I'd double check and make sure the model Sku is identical before buying from sams. They tend to get lesser models of things. You can pick up the accessories from home depo, i highly recommend the lava stone for indirect cooking.

The Grill warranty is great too. You can see it at the end of the product description
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok guys I have a badass Weber grill. It's seriously awesome, I love it. It's propane.

Now, would a BGE compliment the grill or be useless?

What exactly will this egg thing do I can't already do?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast