Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

SMG II: Is it really that unreliable?

Like the title says, should be I be scared? The reason I ask is, today I recieved a pm from somebody wanting to trade me their e46 M3 SMG with 117k miles plus 9k cash. If it was a normal 6spd I would I would be more inclined to swap, but the SMG has me worried. It seems like they are hit or miss after my conversation with John from Precision Sport Industries. Supposedly this one has its smg pump and accumulator replaced 20k miles ago. The car wouldn't be daily driven if that matter, but it most like would be beaten every time its driven.

Link to the car: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...511&highlight=

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Like the title says, should be I be scared? The reason I ask is, today I recieved a pm from somebody wanting to trade me their e46 M3 SMG with 117k miles plus 9k cash. If it was a normal 6spd I would I would be more inclined to swap, but the SMG has me worried. It seems like they are hit or miss after my conversation with John from Precision Sport Industries. Supposedly this one has its smg pump and accumulator replaced 20k miles ago. The car wouldn't be daily driven if that matter, but it most like would be beaten every time its driven.

Link to the car: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...511&highlight=
    Two things I would like to say, but it of course should be taken with a grain of salt...

One - SMG II is pretty damn reliable in my personal opinion. I owned an e46 M3 - and had no issue until I bought my new M. It turned out to be (from what I am told) a throwout bearing - which can go bad on either an SMG M or otherwise... It's just (again, from what I am told) a function of how many times the clutch is engaged/disengaged - so it would go out regardless of if the car had a electro-hydraulically actuated clutch (SMG) or a pedal actuated clutch...

To be perfectly honest, I was not "nice" to this car - if SMG was a problem, I really think I would have had other issues. I literally beat that car up (like it's designed for) every time the oil temperature was in the zone, traffic was light/on closed road/etc. and loved SMG. Click here to enlarge

If I would have been able to figure out exactly what was wrong sooner - I probably would have kept the car. I just couldn't/didn't get a straight answer until it was too late. It is a "common" issue - and doesn't cost much to fix. The clutch will probably last you longer than a non-SMG M3's clutch, just due to the fact that it is ultimately controlled the way BMW wants it to... People make mistakes - unless you shift perfectly every time - SMG is going to be much more consistent and forgiving to the drivetrain. Again, a lot of this is my opinion coupled with what I know from others/what I have read.

Two - the only thing that worries me - is that the person is selling a car with almost 120k miles (although modded lightly) for nearly the same cost as what a CPO 2006 was going for when they were still available from BMW (about $22-23k at the low end for less than 50k mile M3)... You can get a 2008 Z4 M with 80k less miles that is still under warranty for about 25k... Yes, it won't have the modifications - but if you are worried about SMG, this might make sense to spend the money and have a warranty.

It's not the SMG that would worry me, it's the deal in itself - it just doesn't seem like a good one to me. That's quite a lot of dough to pay for an engine that could be on it's way out. Not saying it is - but if it did, you are talking 15-20k for a crate engine - or just a shi&load to repair anything that breaks. Although that engine is stout - you have to remember it has a pretty long stroke and revs to 8000+ RPM... Considering the car is modded, I would imagine that the engine has spent quite some time in the high rev area. Click here to enlarge

If you know the car/owner, on the other hand - and are just worried about SMG -- don't be... It's pretty solid considering what it does/offers.

If you do buy it, make sure valve job has been done on time, and has been done recently. They aren't super cheap.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, that was a great response and very helpful. Honestly the price point is fine with me. The most I've been offered for my car private sale is 23k and 20k on trade in at my local BMW dealership. I personally haven't seen any M's that cheap around here, but everything here has a "Palm Beach" tax. I actually counter offered 11k on top so we'll see if he bites.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SMG II is nothing to be scared of, it's great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just hope I don't regret this if it goes through. The plan is to gut it out, and either HPF stg1 or AA SC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just hope I don't regret this if it goes through. The plan is to gut it out, and either HPF stg1 or AA SC.
    Depends on your goals.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Goal, not destroy any major components, rape on highway runs, and do a few track days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Goal, not destroy any major components, rape on highway runs, and do a few track days.
    Seems like a good choice then, just don't drag it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1736847 That car right there is a smoking deal. If you want something mint.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1736847 That car right there is a smoking deal. If you want something mint.
    Nice, but to far away and doesn't leave me with much money to play with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SMG here and no issues with mine or customers cars.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice, but to far away and doesn't leave me with much money to play with.
    Yea true. I wouldn't buy a high milage e46 m3 if you sold the current car for 20kish bucks. Sometimes great deals can be found.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SMG sucks if you like digs. for roll on its cool. remember e46 has short ass 1st gear and a very chunky 1st-2nd engagement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how is SMGIII found in m5s and M6s? Im thinking of picking up an m6 & wanted feedback

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    how is SMGIII found in m5s and M6s? Im thinking of picking up an m6 & wanted feedback
    No issues with SMGIII I know of. Very nice gearbox IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i say do it. That car looks great. So it's not the perfect color. If you really hate SMG, I'll help you make it a stick. After all, the last two trannys in my car have been SMGs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    i say do it. That car looks great. So it's not the perfect color. If you really hate SMG, I'll help you make it a stick. After all, the last two trannys in my car have been SMGs.
    Julio, the deal is off already. I talked to the guy and he ended up being a real douche. He basically said e46 M3's don't depreciate in value, but my 335i was worth less than 20k, so he didn't need to give me more than 2-3k. The more I researched the car, I'm glad I didn't do it. I came across his FS thread on M3forum, and the car supposedly had a lot of issues. He only owned it for a couple months. Oh well. I'm about to drive down to Miami, going to test drive a few C5 Z06's, and an Evo 8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i highly encourage corvette... of any c5/c6 flavour. though... fixed roof would be preferable. LS motors are win, so are those chassis. used evo is scary.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely would say C6 over a C5 anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Definitely would say C6 over a C5 anything.
    c5 z06 > c6 vert
    c5 frc > c6 vert

maybe c5 z06 > c6 t-tops
    due to price, c5 frc > c6 t-tops

ls1 is enough for loads of power. ls2/3/6 are nice, but not extremely better.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    c5 z06 > c6 vert
    Would rather have the C6 Vert personally. LS2 or LS3 > LS6.

C5 is way too dated and has an immensely worse interior/overall package.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just got home. I like the C5 Z06 very much. It feels like a true drivers car.

As far as C6 Vs C5 it goes like this. C6 LS3>or= C5 Z06>LS2 C6> LS1 C5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The LS2 or LS3 are superior motors.

The C5 Z06 is a raw drivers car. If that is what you want it fits the bill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LS6=LS1 with a different cam and slightly different heads. LS2 is not really advantage over the LS1/6. LS3 is an updated version. If you look only, you won't see LS2 C6's come to close to the stock times C5 Z06's have in the 1/4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LS2 is not really advantage over the LS1/6
    Displacement is displacement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast