Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

does it need to be programmed?

1999 m52b28 into a 1998 328i replacing the original m52b28 engine, there the same except one year difference would it actually need to be programmed into the car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    you're good, you dont need to do anything except put the motor in.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    weird cuz the new engine is kicking hard when started but instantly runs smooth, smp on staten island is having a guy from bmw to program it, i went to see the car today before i'd be gone for the next 3 weeks and it kicked when started so i was left alittle lost on that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by skorger Click here to enlarge
    weird cuz the new engine is kicking hard when started but instantly runs smooth, smp on staten island is having a guy from bmw to program it, i went to see the car today before i'd be gone for the next 3 weeks and it kicked when started so i was left alittle lost on that
    If the engine is another motor that is the same, it needs no new program. It may appreciate a good reset on many fronts, like adaptions and fault code list. I dont know what has led you to an engine swap, but whatever it was, it may have left some poor adaption figures.

But the program that runs your motor needs no change at all. The tune needs to be the same.

Does your car need someone with a computer like a gt1, impa or an autologic to reset some values, i dunno, it might, but reprogrammed? no.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

OP I think you need to have work done on ur car by a proper shop local to you. Unless you are trying to do the work urself.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire Click here to enlarge
    If the engine is another motor that is the same, it needs no new program. It may appreciate a good reset on many fronts, like adaptions and fault code list. I dont know what has led you to an engine swap, but whatever it was, it may have left some poor adaption figures.

But the program that runs your motor needs no change at all. The tune needs to be the same.

Does your car need someone with a computer like a gt1, impa or an autologic to reset some values, i dunno, it might, but reprogrammed? no.
    the head gasket was going and the engine had over heated and blew a hole in the antifreeze container awhile back so the head might have needed replacing instead every place wanted $1500-2000 i saw that engine and the low miles well worth it plus free shipping Click here to enlarge,the oil was completed broken down even after i changed it after a month, coolant was leaking into the exhaust, it overheated to a point where the power steering shut off, and whenever you turned it on it would shake for a min. the engine cost me 1600 and has 42k miles

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    OP I think you need to have work done on ur car by a proper shop local to you. Unless you are trying to do the work urself.
    it is being done at a shop its gonna cost me $1500 from them for the engine swap, and sunroof, new belts, and some other much needed parts replacement, i would much rather do it myself, but dont know anyone around me that good with cars to show me dont have enough know how to just start pulling apart my bmw lol
    Click here to enlarge

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SEXY BEAUTY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Youtube us the start-up procedure of your car....

How is it heavy and then starts right up !
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    Youtube us the start-up procedure of your car....

How is it heavy and then starts right up !
    i would if i could i should have yesterday when i went to see it, but i have to leave soon and i wont be back till the 15th of november for this medical research study
    Click here to enlarge

^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SEXY BEAUTY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

you can buy a bentley manual and pull your entire car apart while following very simple directions.

Or you be adventurous and just try and remember where the parts came from, I've always liked this tactic.

Your power steering can't shut down b/c your engine is running hot or poorly. If the engine is pouring out oil from the front, it can piss off the belt. And maybe cause it to jump or leave, or your power steering can spring a leak and go dry or have a pump failure. But as long as the engine is spinning, and there's a belt connected to the power steering and there isn't anything wrong with it, it can't 'shut down'.

So your engine was suffering from neglect and died. Your dme should be reset, and maybe the shop is awaiting on someone with a computer to plug in and reset adaptions and clear your codes. However, I don't think that adaptions can go so far as to cause your car to run quiet that $#@!ty.

I wouldn't put it past that the new engine may have its own issues. Including poor timing, spun rod bearings, blown head gasket, etc, etc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Thank you.