Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

The new fitness thread

I know we already have one of these but I want some specific answers.

How many times a week should I weight lift? Last week when I started getting into a routine again I was sore for almost the whole week.

I lifted yesterday and don't feel that bad today. I can tell I worked out but it really isn't that bad. I could probably lift again Friday no problem.

I am doing 3 sets of 12. Should I increase to 4 sets?

Additionally, after lifting and an hour of cardio I went out and drank a bunch of beers. I know, bad. Set me back a pound and a half. Should I just avoid alcohol period or is that a stupid question?

Should abs be worked more frequently?

Yes, I know, lot's of questions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I know we already have one of these but I want some specific answers.

How many times a week should I weight lift? Last week when I started getting into a routine again I was sore for almost the whole week.

I lifted yesterday and don't feel that bad today. I can tell I worked out but it really isn't that bad. I could probably lift again Friday no problem.

I am doing 3 sets of 12. Should I increase to 4 sets?

Additionally, after lifting and an hour of cardio I went out and drank a bunch of beers. I know, bad. Set me back a pound and a half. Should I just avoid alcohol period or is that a stupid question?

Should abs be worked more frequently?

Yes, I know, lot's of questions.
    A lot of these questions are going to have a many different answers because well there is more than one way to skin a cat.

To start, how many times per week you lift really depends on your split and your goals. I usually try to hit each muscle group once per week, legs twice. Soreness is from being out of shape. If you continue to push yourself you'll always be sore. I deadlift once a week and I am still sore from it the when deadlift day comes the next week.

Working sets really depends on your goals, so you'll have to elaborate more there first.

I guess drinking beer is bad. I just see it as some extra calories though. I've never been one to follow a diet, but most avoid alcohol. I try to embrace junk food and beer haha.

Work your abs daily or every other day. Core work is very important as it stabilizes your whole body. Don't forget to workout your back, many don't. And don't mean rows and lat pulls. I work abs everyday, but I never do the same abs exercises everyday. No need to overkill and do 300 reps of ab workouts.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

You have to ask what your goals are?
    Are you training for aesthetics? Sports? general conditioning?

Why do you need to work abs more frequently? are you trying to get a six pack? Whats your body weight percentage?
    General or the basic ab exercises are necessarily good for you, and dont stabilize your body.

Are you using machines? sticking to a basic body building routine? This can de-train you neuromuscular system.

Weight loss should come from proper diet, exercise helps but is never enough. Diet is more important for weight loss.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    You have to ask what your goals are?
    Are you training for aesthetics? Sports? general conditioning?

Why do you need to work abs more frequently? are you trying to get a six pack? Whats your body weight percentage?
    General or the basic ab exercises are necessarily good for you, and dont stabilize your body.

Are you using machines? sticking to a basic body building routine? This can de-train you neuromuscular system.

Weight loss should come from proper diet, exercise helps but is never enough. Diet is more important for weight loss.
    I'm using free weights and a bench.

I'm just trying to tone up and add some muscle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    A lot of these questions are going to have a many different answers because well there is more than one way to skin a cat.

To start, how many times per week you lift really depends on your split and your goals. I usually try to hit each muscle group once per week, legs twice. Soreness is from being out of shape. If you continue to push yourself you'll always be sore. I deadlift once a week and I am still sore from it the when deadlift day comes the next week.

Working sets really depends on your goals, so you'll have to elaborate more there first.

I guess drinking beer is bad. I just see it as some extra calories though. I've never been one to follow a diet, but most avoid alcohol. I try to embrace junk food and beer haha.

Work your abs daily or every other day. Core work is very important as it stabilizes your whole body. Don't forget to workout your back, many don't. And don't mean rows and lat pulls. I work abs everyday, but I never do the same abs exercises everyday. No need to overkill and do 300 reps of ab workouts.

Hope that helps a bit.
    My goal is to tone up, add muscle, and lose the remaining 10 pounds I have to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

if you arent trying to be some super shredded body builder type 3 sets of 3 exercises per body part is fine.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My goal is to tone up, add muscle, and lose the remaining 10 pounds I have to go.
    Toning comes from having developed muscle and lower bf%. I would say lay off the beers. For your goals I think a 10-12 rep range and 3-4 work sets should be fine. The main key is just going to be making sure your diet is in check, and staying on your routine.

What does your split look like now? Give me your workout.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Toning comes from having developed muscle and lower bf%.
    exactly. Some people don't get that concept. They think toning is doing a million reps
    Current:
    14 Viper TA

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    exactly. Some people don't get that concept. They think toning is doing a million reps
    Well how do you develop muscle exactly? Higher weight lower reps?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Toning comes from having developed muscle and lower bf%. I would say lay off the beers. For your goals I think a 10-12 rep range and 3-4 work sets should be fine. The main key is just going to be making sure your diet is in check, and staying on your routine.

What does your split look like now? Give me your workout.
    Workout consists of 1 hour of cardio daily.

I just started lifting but like this:

3 sets of bicep curls
    3 sets of tricep curls
    3 sets of front raises
    3 sets of chest flys
    3 sets of chess press
    3 sets of rows
    3 sets of shrugs

Anything else I need to do?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Mostly I'm adding in weight training because these last 10 pounds don't seem to want to go. But that is probably because I keep f'ing up and going out, getting drinks...

I have been stuck at 189 pounds for like a month now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

So that is your routine every time you workout? I would recommend splitting up your workout days by body part. 189lbs isn't bad depending on your height.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

youtube scott herman, that guy know his stuff. I use his training methods but it always depends if you're trying to get big or cut.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

So that is your routine every time you workout? I would recommend splitting up your workout days by body part. 189lbs isn't bad depending on your height.
    Nah, my weight isn't bad but I just want to improve as I'm sure everyone working out does.

That is my routine, yes. Cardio is every day.

Split it up by bodypart? I'm not sure how to do that or what exercises I should do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

i worked out for 12 years and of course everyone wants to get huge at first so of course the heavy weight lo reps and training one body part per day per week worked . I realized that my best shape ever was doing a "Jane Fonda workout" . It consisted of Supersetting on the hammer strength machines every other day as well as some dumbells and free weights and hitting the same body parts but mixing up the workout . Weekends i would hit legs only . it would take 20 minutes and i looked the best i ever did .

Everbody is different though . always stuck to 230 lbs during the warm months and 245 in the winter . Now since the training has stopped i go 250 summer and 275 winter ! it sucks getting old lol
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I don't get how abs can be done everyday, don't they need time to recover?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't get how abs can be done everyday, don't they need time to recover?
    indirectly you hit abs with alot of workouts . small muscles recover quicker .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DAGREEKNYC Click here to enlarge
    indirectly you hit abs with alot of workouts . small muscles recover quicker .
    Yes, but I am speaking of hitting them directly daily which is what @BoostAddict said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes, but I am speaking of hitting them directly daily which is what @BoostAddict said.
    Every day i trained i used to do one set for abs to pump or exhaustion and the obliques were there but the abs were never really that pronounced . Cardio is a major factor to burn that layer of fat IMHO . I also realized cardio worked best early morning when i would wake up i would hit the stair climber for 15 minutes in the Am .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sticky - for me the enemy is boredom - I try to switch it up every two to three weeks (I go high weights/ low reps for 2-3 weeks; low weights high reps for a couple of weeks; body weight exercises with weight vests etc). . .

As everyone said - diet is the key to dropping weight but honestly, it can be done with a not so regimented diet - it's just harder as you have to burn more calories. . .the part that most people miss is this - look at your diet like gasoline - 87 - 93 - race gas - which is going to make your car perform better and cause the least amount of damage while it's doing so. . .same thing with your diet.

As far as the abs - core work and abs exercises are different - yoga does a lot of core work. . .instead of hitting a treadmill or running everyday - start to incorporate an hour of hard core yoga and you'll burn more calories and build up your core - a simple google of "abs workouts" and you have enough different exercises to fill a whole month without repeating the same exercise.

I just started working out again this week after a 1.5 month layoff (by the way - most of your gains are realized when you rest and give you body time to recover) and my workout has been exercises grouped into four (ie bench, wide pull ups, flyes, underhanded pullups) going for 60 seconds straight (not caring about the reps) one right after another, rest, another four. . .ect - if you haven't already been doing it - cut your cardio down to 30 minutes and do your full weight workout immediately after - that will also help you burn more calories. . .
    Click here to enlarge
    Show: VOSSEN CV3's, CF front lip, trunk spoiler, EuroTeck diffuser, DCT steering wheel, 20% tint, painted grill, ELM (by Marcus)
    Go: Kleemann headers, Kleemann 168 pulley, custom OE tune, CF intake tubes, K&N filters, Eurocharged HE = 11.26 @ 123.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ruiEgZRQ

Have you ever noticed. . .
    anyone going slower than you is an idiot. . .
    and anyone going faster is a maniac?
    George Carlin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DAGREEKNYC Click here to enlarge
    Every day i trained i used to do one set for abs to pump or exhaustion and the obliques were there but the abs were never really that pronounced . Cardio is a major factor to burn that layer of fat IMHO . I also realized cardio worked best early morning when i would wake up i would hit the stair climber for 15 minutes in the Am .
    I do cardio early (for me) so that is good at least. I'm thinking about throwing in a small cardio routine before dinner as well. Like 15 minutes on the treadmill or something like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by motorkas Click here to enlarge
    Sticky - for me the enemy is boredom - I try to switch it up every two to three weeks (I go high weights/ low reps for 2-3 weeks; low weights high reps for a couple of weeks; body weight exercises with weight vests etc). . .

As everyone said - diet is the key to dropping weight but honestly, it can be done with a not so regimented diet - it's just harder as you have to burn more calories. . .the part that most people miss is this - look at your diet like gasoline - 87 - 93 - race gas - which is going to make your car perform better and cause the least amount of damage while it's doing so. . .same thing with your diet.

As far as the abs - core work and abs exercises are different - yoga does a lot of core work. . .instead of hitting a treadmill or running everyday - start to incorporate an hour of hard core yoga and you'll burn more calories and build up your core - a simple google of "abs workouts" and you have enough different exercises to fill a whole month without repeating the same exercise.

I just started working out again this week after a 1.5 month layoff (by the way - most of your gains are realized when you rest and give you body time to recover) and my workout has been exercises grouped into four (ie bench, wide pull ups, flyes, underhanded pullups) going for 60 seconds straight (not caring about the reps) one right after another, rest, another four. . .ect - if you haven't already been doing it - cut your cardio down to 30 minutes and do your full weight workout immediately after - that will also help you burn more calories. . .
    I'm going to keep these tips in mind and stick to it.

Small problem is @e92 just arrived at my place and well... we are going to go have beers. Hey, I'd grab beers with any BB member. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I work abs everyday, but I try to use different exercises. There are many types of ab exercises, so I don't do the same ones daily. For example, I may only do crunches once per week. I spread out a full ab workout over the course of 5 days so they are continually being "hit".

How many days per week do you have to dedicate to the gym? I could probably write you up a basic workout.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Abs 6 days a week for me. Diet is important, but intaking the proper vitamins and supplements is just as important as the food you put in your mouth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

abs daily. 500 crunches and about 200 leg raises. 100 obliques
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast