Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon dies in Las Vegas Speedway Indycar crash

A British IndyCar champion has been killed after his vehicle burst into flames following a high-speed 15-car pile-up.Dan Wheldon, 33, died while competing in the Las Vegas Indy 300 where drivers reach speeds of up to 225mph in the race for bumper winnings of more than $5million.

The married father-of-two's Dallara-Honda became tangled in a pile-up and his car was catapulted over another racer and hurled into fencing, where it went up in flames.

Mr Wheldon, a former private school pupil originally from Buckinghamshire, was rushed to hospital in a helicopter but died as a result of his severe 'unsurvivable' injuries.

As the racing world today came to terms with the death, their were safety questions

The fiery pile-up, on the 11th lap of the 300-mile race, was caused by contact on Turn 2 and sucked in almost half of the race’s 34 participants.
    Trails of sparks could be seen across the track before Mr Wheldon's car was flung into the air and struck part of the fence outside the bend.
    Debris from the cars was strewn across the track as they spun into each other and careered into the fencing. Flames then engulfed Mr Wheldon's shattered vehicle.

Three other drivers, including championship contender Will Power, were hurt in the pileup during Lap 11.
    Rescue workers were at Mr Wheldon's car quickly, some furiously waving for more help to get to the scene. A helicopter descended onto the track moments later and airlifted Mr Wheldon's body to the University Hospital in Las Vegas.
    But the former champion's injuries were so bad that there was little that the medics could do to save him. He was pronounced dead a short while later and officials were informed two hours after the initial crash.

Mr Wheldon who is survived by his wife, Susie, and two sons, Sebastian, two, and six-month-old Oliver, had been in line for a $5million bonanza if he was first across the finishing line

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Saw this on a TV at a bar I was at and was wondering which driver it was as they just kept replaying the wreck. Terrible tragedy, I don't know what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Terrible thing, he was a stand up person. I thought it was great, that the drivers ended the race and did a 5 lap tribute to him. RIP Dan.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

at least he died in a thing that he loved. not in a bed in hospital middle of nowhere.

RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What a horrible tradegy. RIP to him, and bless his family. Such young children he left Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Such a tragedy. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    Those announcers should be ashamed of themselves making comments when it happened about this being "the big one". Horrible commentating and a horrific scene from what I am told by people who were on track.
    RIP Danny, you will be missed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Rest in peace Dan. You will be missed.

Prayers and best wishs to his family.