Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 244
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Why is it always centrifugals? Why not more twin screws?

    For BMW modification, it seems the most popular setups are always centrifugal superchargers like a Vortech.

    Why don't we see more twin screws or positive displacement blowers? I know they are more expensive but is it the tuning? Honestly, with instant boost they are way more fun and give people what they really are looking for, torque.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    117
    Rep Points
    69.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Agreed, I wish someone would build a twin screw for the E46 M3. In all seriousness I think the issue is with the factory intake manifold given independent throttle bodies would make the creation of a intake manifold for these cars a nightmare IMO.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Adgar Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, I wish someone would build a twin screw for the E46 M3. In all seriousness I think the issue is with the factory intake manifold given independent throttle bodies would make the creation of a intake manifold for these cars a nightmare IMO.
    The twin screw would sit right on top of the throttle bodies essentially, so creating a manifold to work with this would be tough? A twin-screw S54 or S65 would be absolutely amazing and give these motors exactly what they need.

    It probably is an issue with the throttle bodies.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    117
    Rep Points
    69.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The reason I say throttle body is if you look at most twin screw superchargers they all have an inlet that connects to the rotor case. That inlet then connects to a throttle body.

    Click here to enlarge

    I know Active Autowerkes had this for the 330i guys but I'm not sure as to the intake design compared to the S54.

    Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Ah, I see. Not sure how that would work but would it be possible to run a a pipe from the inlet to the existing manifolds?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    twin screw all the way. do it
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammyrusso Click here to enlarge
    twin screw all the way. do it
    Tell Alex Click here to enlarge

    He is trying out some things and and we will see where he decides to take it, twin screw has been discussed. I have confidence in him and I am willing to do whatever way he decides to go with it. I don't want to make things complicated or difficult for him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,170
    Rep Points
    2,132.0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Reputation: Yes | No
    would be great to see...im sure if its possible and safe he will be the one to do it
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    281
    Rep Points
    245.6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    you should try it sticky, have you asked the guys at gintani about it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    you should try it sticky, have you asked the guys at gintani about it?
    Absolutely, I'll make a thread in the S65 section about it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Twin screw is a great on idea on these motors, they already have top end. A twin screw would gracefully shift the entire powerband vertically upward... It would be a beautiful thing.

    Kenne Bell should do something Click here to enlarge

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    117
    Rep Points
    69.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    They need a competent tuner. Kenne Bell has their flip chip and they seriously swear by them. I think the issue with a Twin screw would be development and tuning.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I think if Kenne Bell could make something for the euro market they would. The tuning is clearly the issue, why are American cars so much damn easier?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think if Kenne Bell could make something for the euro market they would. The tuning is clearly the issue, why are American cars so much damn easier?
    Because they dont have 6,074,948 sensors everywhere. Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    847
    Rep Points
    176.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Why would you want a twin screw on a high revving motor? You do know twin screw's dont do too great up top right? This would defeat the purpose of the M3 imo. At least the centri you can still rev it up nicely. With the twin screw you will just enjoy the TQ down low. I would never do a twin screw, centri for a stock motor or decent power, turbo for big power...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Why would you want a twin screw on a high revving motor? You do know twin screw's dont do too great up top right? This would defeat the purpose of the M3 imo. At least the centri you can still rev it up nicely. With the twin screw you will just enjoy the TQ down low. I would never do a twin screw, centri for a stock motor or decent power, turbo for big power...
    The stuff about twin screws not doing well up top is blown out of proportion. Would not defeat the purpose of the M3 at all as the twin screw makes the same boost everywhere so it just looks like they drop off more than a Centrifugal as they keep building boost the higher you rev them.

    You compare TS E36 M3's with centrifugal M3's and the TS's walk them each time, same with E46's. You can rev a twin screw, no reason you can't. I would take a twin screw over a centrifugal any day and by the time the centri starts making power I'm gone.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The stuff about twin screws not doing well up top is blown out of proportion. Would not defeat the purpose of the M3 at all as the twin screw makes the same boost everywhere so it just looks like they drop off more than a Centrifugal as they keep building boost the higher you rev them.

    You compare TS E36 M3's with centrifugal M3's and the TS's walk them each time, same with E46's. You can rev a twin screw, no reason you can't. I would take a twin screw over a centrifugal any day and by the time the centri starts making power I'm gone.

    Exactly. People need to realize that twin screws are POSITIVE displacement superchargers. They move X amount of air per revolution regardless. So they make CONSTANT boost pressure at all RPMs. The centrifugals just hit peak boost up top, so it 'seems' that they pull harder up top. Well the twin screw pulls just as hard up top, and down low as well, which is where the illusion that they drop off up top comes from. They are more linear than centri's.

    area under the curve folks; area under the curve Click here to enlarge

    I guess the only downside to a twin screw is they do lack in the efficiency department, nothing a little meth can't help with though.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Exactly. People need to realize that twin screws are POSITIVE displacement superchargers. They move X amount of air per revolution regardless. So they make CONSTANT boost pressure at all RPMs. The centrifugals just hit peak boost up top, so it 'seems' that they pull harder up top. Well the twin screw pulls just as hard up top, and down low as well, which is where the illusion that they drop off up top comes from. They are more linear than centri's.

    area under the curve folks; area under the curve Click here to enlarge

    I guess the only downside to a twin screw is they do lack in the efficiency department, nothing a little meth can't help with though.
    100% freaking right on.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    847
    Rep Points
    176.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Exactly. People need to realize that twin screws are POSITIVE displacement superchargers. They move X amount of air per revolution regardless. So they make CONSTANT boost pressure at all RPMs. The centrifugals just hit peak boost up top, so it 'seems' that they pull harder up top. Well the twin screw pulls just as hard up top, and down low as well, which is where the illusion that they drop off up top comes from. They are more linear than centri's.

    area under the curve folks; area under the curve Click here to enlarge

    I guess the only downside to a twin screw is they do lack in the efficiency department, nothing a little meth can't help with though.
    They are indeed positively charged but they are not efficient at all.

    This is very odd, every dyno i have seen of the bigger HP twin screw motors has HP falling off pretty hard up top, Mustang, AMG cars etc.. My daily driver has a TS and i know for a fact up top it sucks. Also heat soak is a big issue with TS's and most TS's are very heavy, adding alot of weight on top of your motor.

    Again for big power, turbo is the way to go. If anyone is spending big money like this, i dont see why they would not go for a turbo. It just makes no sense to me. There is a reason why the big power cars are running mostly turbo's or big centri's.

    Regardless Sticky if you are going the TS route good luck, if someone goes turbo on the S65 youre gonna be pissed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    They are indeed positively charged but they are not efficient at all.

    This is very odd, every dyno i have seen of the bigger HP twin screw motors has HP falling off pretty hard up top, Mustang, AMG cars etc.. My daily driver has a TS and i know for a fact up top it sucks. Also heat soak is a big issue with TS's and most TS's are very heavy, adding alot of weight on top of your motor.

    Again for big power, turbo is the way to go. If anyone is spending big money like this, i dont see why they would not go for a turbo. It just makes no sense to me. There is a reason why the big power cars are running mostly turbo's or big centri's.

    Regardless Sticky if you are going the TS route good luck, if someone goes turbo on the S65 youre gonna be pissed!
    The Mustang's and AMG's aren't very efficient up top to begin with and low torque monsters. You look at any of their V8's, and the torque curves drop off hard. M motors are designed to rev so they have always have a flatter curve for a longer range.

    No TS, and yes, I would be pissed if someone did turbos and I had a TS.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,159
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The stuff about twin screws not doing well up top is blown out of proportion. Would not defeat the purpose of the M3 at all as the twin screw makes the same boost everywhere so it just looks like they drop off more than a Centrifugal as they keep building boost the higher you rev them.

    You compare TS E36 M3's with centrifugal M3's and the TS's walk them each time, same with E46's. You can rev a twin screw, no reason you can't. I would take a twin screw over a centrifugal any day and by the time the centri starts making power I'm gone.
    I dont agree with the E36 ts'd cars walk centri e36 m3's given =equal mods. The Centri's make the same or more tq after 4800rpms which on a roll race helps the centri that much more. Also the fastest sc e36 was a vortech'd setup hit 11's at 120mph I believe.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,746
    Rep Points
    31,550.1
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    I dont agree with the E36 ts'd cars walk centri e36 m3's given =equal mods. The Centri's make the same or more tq after 4800rpms which on a roll race helps the centri that much more. Also the fastest sc e36 was a vortech'd setup hit 11's at 120mph I believe.
    Reference for the 120 mph vortech setup please?

    I remember seeing a vid of a twin screw vs. a centri and the TS walked it. I would say with equal mods the TS should be faster but clearly we need some supplementary info here.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This is a very hard comparison to make apples to apples. Each type of FI method tries to capture a different type of air delivery.

    8 psi from a vortech and 8 psi from a TS will deliver differently. The TS will have greater parasitic loss and much less thermal efficiency than the vortech. But the TS will indeed bring on the boost earlier. We can't really make a fair comparison between the two no matter what you do, one uses positive displacement lobes to physically move the air into a smaller chamber while the other first pressurizes the air and then uses diffusers to turn the dynamic pressure into static (boost) pressure. They are very different machines, is all I'm saying. It comes down to personal preference Click here to enlarge

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    5,159
    Rep Points
    526.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Reference for the 120 mph vortech setup please?

    I remember seeing a vid of a twin screw vs. a centri and the TS walked it. I would say with equal mods the TS should be faster but clearly we need some supplementary info here.
    -///M3 CRAZY on bfc is the guy who did it about 3 years ago.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    203
    Rep Points
    115.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I think it has a lot to do with the market. Guys will see the cost of the TS vs the cost of a centri vs the cost of a turbo. The turbo setup vs. the TS setup are comparatively priced. The power advantages, tuning possibilities, upgrade-ability of the the turbo setup will easily outweigh the instant boost of the TS.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •