Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    BMW testing the next generation 2014 M3 - Turbo V6? Triple turbo I6? Who knows

    The new 2014 M3 was spotted testing. What is interesting is that it was spotted in 4 door guise despite past rumors about there not being a 4-door M3 this generation. The main question is what motor this car will get? It is almost certain (seriously, it's certain) it will be a turbo motor of some sort. So will it be a tweaked N55? Will it be an N54 with valvetronic and some tweaks? Will it be a triple turbo? Will it be the rumored V6 with a 6 into 1 exhaust manifold feeding one turbo that then feeds into another larger turbo for some kind of compound setup? At this point, we don't think anyone other than BMW knows.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -166.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I believe it's an all new engine or at least something very different than N54/5 with more displacement and a regular twin turbo setup, not the crazy tripple turbo method.
    with this engine and the rivals, they should make it as light as a leaf.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    I'm done with M3's after the E92 so they can put a hamster in a wheel for all I care under the hood.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    395
    Rep Points
    245.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    I think it's V5 diesel compound turbo two stroke with a supercharger !

    But in reality, i think they will either stick to a V8 or I6, if it will have a V6... they might aswell make it a FWD !!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -166.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    they can put a hamster in a wheel for all I care under the hood.
    or squirrels

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    No way in hell it gets a V8.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Squirrels are efficient and dynamic:


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -166.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    nice one.

    but anyway, nothing is efficient and dynamics at the same time. BMW is fooling themselves and everyone else with that statement.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    nice one.

    but anyway, nothing is efficient and dynamics at the same time. BMW is fooling themselves and everyone else with that statement.
    BMW has no idea what they are doing anyway. The next M3 will probably be either all electric I-bull$#@! model or hybrid that gets more MPG than it has horses.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,927
    Rep Points
    1,376.8
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    The new M3 will be a lot faster than the current M3.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    The new M3 will be a lot faster than the current M3.
    Better be.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,590
    Rep Points
    2,018.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm done with M3's after the E92 so they can put a hamster in a wheel for all I care under the hood.
    +100000000

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -166.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    it's too early to make decision so please don't get emotional.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You're all over the place with this story, I won't touch the engine part since no one knows for sure but the two leading theories are twin turbo V6 or a twin or even tri turbo I6, definitely not a derivative of N54/N55.Also, the F80 M3 sedan has been confirmed apparently so there will be a true four door which is way better than that Gran Turismo bull$#@! they keep trying to jam down our throats. Last, M4 would be the coupe, this sedan would continue to be called M3. I'm as appalled by this as I'm sure you are, the M3 has always been BMW's best coupe and now it simply won't be.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    89
    Rep Points
    87.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    tri-turbo would be interesting on the v6...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    You're all over the place with this story, I won't touch the engine part since no one knows for sure but the two leading theories are twin turbo V6 or a twin or even tri turbo I6, definitely not a derivative of N54/N55.Also, the F80 M3 sedan has been confirmed apparently so there will be a true four door which is way better than that Gran Turismo bull$#@! they keep trying to jam down our throats. Last, M4 would be the coupe, this sedan would continue to be called M3. I'm as appalled by this as I'm sure you are, the M3 has always been BMW's best coupe and now it simply won't be.
    Yep, all over the place which makes for fun speculation. There have been theories regarding a tweaked N54/N55, mostly the N55.

    F80? I think you have your naming off.

    Yes, you are right, M3 would be the sedan. I was too drunk when I wrote that, editing.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    389
    Rep Points
    512.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    It's already been reported that, while the new 3 series is F30, the M3 will be F80. Don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense to me, either.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    I think we would be lucky if it was a detuned TT V8...something like how MB does it with their 63 AMGs...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    8,038
    Rep Points
    5,731.5
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    58


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    I think we would be lucky if it was a detuned TT V8...something like how MB does it with their 63 AMGs...
    Only in OUR fantasies.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    It's already been reported that, while the new 3 series is F30, the M3 will be F80. Don't ask me why, it doesn't make sense to me, either.
    What about these chassis designations? http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?1567-Rendering-of-the-BMW-F32-4-series-cabrio-convertible-new-chassis-designations

    W
    hy would the M3 be an F80? I don't get it.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    311
    Rep Points
    182.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    i am pretty sure that since the m5 is a TTv8, the m3 2ill be a single or twin turbo V/I6. That is simply going on the logic of all their previous M5/3s. If they are planning on doing something new, well then I just have to say I wholeheartedly doubt it. If they are planning on squeezing 450 horses our of a new NA 6cyl engine I would have to commend them for that. However, I still feel that they should allow the M3 to be the big beast, not the M5. The M3 is a more agile, more capable car and alway will be. So coupling it with the better performing engine would be logical. They should have just called the M5 the 5 series M. That way, there would be no toes to be stepped on with the M3. In fact, the doors would be open for an M car that is made perfect from the factory, no limits in mind.

    I now understand why people always say "cars in my time were different... etc" and its these changes that just make you wonder "why."

    I've typed too much but what I want to really convey is that no matter the nomenclature, we hope the car can make you feel damn good every time you get in.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

    Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    However, I still feel that they should allow the M3 to be the big beast, not the M5. The M3 is a more agile, more capable car and alway will be.
    Outdated thinking on hierarchy and price is the problem. The M3 makes way more sense to be the top dog considering its weight and agility advantage making it the better overall performance platform. But M5 owners will get butthurt if an M3 blows them away. They can barely stand modded M3's blowing them away but they really have no choice.

    Mercedes even has to play on this as the C63 gets its "detuned" nature to prevent stepping on toes.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    311
    Rep Points
    182.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Outdated thinking on hierarchy and price is the problem. The M3 makes way more sense to be the top dog considering its weight and agility advantage making it the better overall performance platform. But M5 owners will get butthurt if an M3 blows them away. They can barely stand modded M3's blowing them away but they really have no choice.

    Mercedes even has to play on this as the C63 gets its "detuned" nature to prevent stepping on toes.
    yes, this is true, but it's just so stupid to me that marketing takes over everything. I am sure others do not agree on this point, but what can we do.
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

    Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,453
    Rep Points
    32,148.8
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    yes, this is true, but it's just so stupid to me that marketing takes over everything. I am sure others do not agree on this point, but what can we do.
    Only thing we can do is organize a protest to get people to stop buying M5's until BMW stop holding the M3 back. I don't think it will go well but BMW will only respond to dollars.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    le Paris
    Posts
    6,648
    Rep Points
    -166.0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I do not agree. marketing has nothing to do with keeping M5 the more powerful car and M3 the less powerful car. It's traditional.
    Surely M5 is more expensive, but numbers of M3's is quite bigger. reasoning say if it was marketing, they should have given M3 the same output as M5 if not more because there are more M3's out there and more M3's = bigger profit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •