Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Who is going track this heavy boat every weekend?

The whole point of carbon ceramic brakes to prevent brake fade during longs periods abuse/heat on the track.

A complete waste of money on a DD giant sedan. Owners of the 1M or M3 would get much more use out of them.
    Doesn't even matter if you track it. Just with street driving I can get my M3 brakes to fade, would not mind ceramics especially in a heavier car.

The point is not just brake fade around a road course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Doesn't even matter if you track it. Just with street driving I can get my M3 brakes to fade, would not mind ceramics especially in a heavier car.

The point is not just brake fade around a road course.
    You can't use the $#@! brakes that come on the M3 as example of why someone needs carbon ceramic brakes on a daily driven M5.

If BMW had a decent set of brakes on the M3 it would be a different story.

Take the GT3 for example. The steel brakes are more that adequate for road use, no one will see brake fade during street driving. For most they would more than adequate for tracking the car. But there is carbon ceramic for the owners that will be thrashing their GT3's on the tracks on a consistent basis.

Carbon ceramic brakes are way overkill for a DD M5. If BMW puts a decent steel Brembo setup on the M5, that is more than enough. Most people ordering carbon ceramic brakes for the M5 are the same piston-counting d-bags.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Looks like "M" finally took some time to build a quality standard steel brake setup. About $#@!ing time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can't use the $#@! brakes that come on the M3 as example of why someone needs carbon ceramic brakes on a daily driven M5.
    Why not? I am familiar with M brakes. I always had them fade on me even on the street. Why would I not be interested in ceramic options on a much heavier car?

If BMW had a decent set of brakes on the M3 it would be a different story.
    Like ceramics?

Take the GT3 for example. The steel brakes are more that adequate for road use, no one will see brake fade during street driving. For most they would more than adequate for tracking the car. But there is carbon ceramic for the owners that will be thrashing their GT3's on the tracks on a consistent basis.
    Right, and Porsche gives you the option. BMW will now be doing the same, finally.

Carbon ceramic brakes are way overkill for a DD M5. If BMW puts a decent steel Brembo setup on the M5, that is more than enough. Most people ordering carbon ceramic brakes for the M5 are the same piston-counting d-bags.
    I disagree. I think Carbon brakes were one of the best upgrades for Cayenne's as well simply due to the vehicles immense heft which will cause fade on steels much faster. Even great steels like Porsche's I get to fade EASILY. The Cayenne is not a track car but benefits from the ceramic upgrade tremendously.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why then buy the M5... you dont need all that power. Just go for a 550iDon't need comments are always a bit funny to me, specially when talking about powerfull cars. Things you dont need on a Porsche 911 Turbo... a rear windshield wiper and the "Horst Tappert as Derrick" cord-phone. But if you are going for a high performance car, then get it with the best driving equipment possible.I still agree that the standard steel brake setup on the ///M lineup is worthless. They should have the OEM steel setup at least a multi piston GT set from Brembo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
    Mine are the Carbon Ceramic disks and 8pot Brembo calipers from the McLaren SLR (used on a wide range of other high end cars). They are not drilled though, they are Generation 1 but more than enough for my car which is about 1350-1400kg.

Aparently they are about 1500Kw worth of stopping power.

Other cars using the same setup are for example Mercedes, Audi and early Ferraris. The rotors are 370x38mm, and huge 8 piston calipers. They never fade and they also weigh a lot less than the metal rotors.

Do you have the 8 pison calipers Viktor?
    Wow i forgot you have the 8 piston calipers, mine are only 6 piston but i still have the 370x38mm rotors, just not in Carbon Ceramic form Click here to enlarge

And for the Ceramic debate, i have toasted brakes on both E39 and E60 M5s in traffic... guess i'm abusing them like crazy huh' ?

E39 M5 brakes are well under-engineered for the beast that it is.... E60 are ALMOST sufficient !

Carbon Ceramic is essential on everything with M3/M5 like power Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by angelic0-; 09-28-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why then buy the M5... you dont need all that power. Just go for a 550iDon't need comments are always a bit funny to me, specially when talking about powerfull cars. Things you dont need on a Porsche 911 Turbo... a rear windshield wiper and the "Horst Tappert as Derrick" cord-phone. But if you are going for a high performance car, then get it with the best driving equipment possible.I still agree that the standard steel brake setup on the ///M lineup is worthless. They should have the OEM steel setup at least a multi piston GT set from Brembo.
    Options don't hurt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    =>Sticky, just saying. As a car nut the "too much" phrase I dont understand Click here to enlarge

=>Angelic0, your disks are in fact 380x32mm if im not mistaken. The Ceramic rotors are much thicker, but 1cm smaller in diameter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    =>Sticky, just saying. As a car nut the "too much" phrase I dont understand
    Fair enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    =>Sticky, just saying. As a car nut the "too much" phrase I dont understand Click here to enlarge

=>Angelic0, your disks are in fact 380x32mm if im not mistaken. The Ceramic rotors are much thicker, but 1cm smaller in diameter.
    You sir, are correct Click here to enlarge but i'm pretty sure that they are 38mm thick though... at least they are HUGE !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    You sir, are correct Click here to enlarge but i'm pretty sure that they are 38mm thick though... at least they are HUGE !
    Not that it's realy that important, but all the Brembo steel disks in the larger diameter disks are 32mm and if they would be 38 they would weigh way to much.

The only disks available in the 38mm thickness are the ceramic disk. When I recieved my set I could carry both disks and calipers under one arm with no real effort, not that I am a strongman.

The big difference that Ceramic disks make is not only that they have no brake fade (provided that you have decent calipers, fluids and brake lines, but that they weigh a lot less.. and less unsprung weight makes a hell of a difference.
    1995 BMW M3GT nr:111/350 TwinTurbo and some other mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess i'll have to eat my socks now.... i had dad measure the thickness and they are 31,5mm (guess they were 32mm when new)...

They will have enough stop force for me i beleive, did you not have to modify your master cylinder in any way ? because after installing, i can swear the pedal feels a lot lower, almost as if there is air in the system Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    I guess i'll have to eat my socks now.... i had dad measure the thickness and they are 31,5mm (guess they were 32mm when new)...

They will have enough stop force for me i beleive, did you not have to modify your master cylinder in any way ? because after installing, i can swear the pedal feels a lot lower, almost as if there is air in the system Click here to enlarge
    No, break feel is stock, pedal firm and no problems.

Its probably just air in the system unless you are using the original brake lines and they have gone soft.. I would recomend steel-braded, but I guess there is not really that much tracktime in Iceland.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, break feel is stock, pedal firm and no problems.

Its probably just air in the system unless you are using the original brake lines and they have gone soft.. I would recomend steel-braded, but I guess there is not really that much tracktime in Iceland.
    Not yet, althoug i am very optimistic that there will be significant changes in these matters in then next year or two Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Brembo who will be producing the discs and likely the rotors as well
    wut

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    wut
    Ooops, heh, meant caliper.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ooops, heh, meant caliper.
    Ah, ok. I thought it was just me again not understanding English...(I was like WTF, disks and rotors are different things??)
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not sure how you get brakes to fade on the street, unless you mean racing in the canyons.

Also since the GT3 was mentioned, many guys with ceramics on the GT3 take them off and either hold them for when they sell the car, just sell them right away, or once done from tracking go to steel brakes. As the steel brakes are more affordable. I also read that the ceramics are ruined very easily, that the fluid needs to be changed near every track day and if debris or little rocks hit them they are easily ruined.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    not sure how you get brakes to fade on the street, unless you mean racing in the canyons.
    this is also true for %99 of people who change suspension on their cars. most of them never experience the situations which needs better suspension.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My ceramic disks show damage from small rocks and gravel trap trips Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    this is also true for %99 of people who change suspension on their cars. most of them never experience the situations which needs better suspension.
    very true, or pretty much 90% of anything they do to their cars.

I know so many people that mod their cars with brakes, suspension, tires that never even come close to the limit, let alone close to the limit when stock.

Like all the people who call the GTR a game or does it all for you, yet have driven on a track once maybe, probably never. As much as I agree with the statement and its not my type of car, im just so sick of internet talk,bench racing, from people who dont actually race.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Heavy cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Heavy cars.
    Its not actually weight that requires better brakes but power. You can bring a dump truck to a nice stop safely with steel discs, but the ability to accelerate back up to speed before needing to brake again is what requires larger, more heat-tolerant brakes. My stock brakes were pretty remarkable on my supercharged and old turbo setup but once I added more power and was able to bring the car to 100 mph then to 40 then to 100 again - that's when things started getting problematic.

Its true that 99% of porsche guys remove the carbon brakes. But, it's also true that 99% of the porsche guys who run the steel drilled OE rotors have them crack, too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its not actually weight that requires better brakes but power.
    Power more than heft? I don't know about that one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its true that 99% of porsche guys remove the carbon brakes.
    Remove them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast