Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Water Spot Removal Product

Hey guys,
    Can you give me any suggestions for a water spot removal product? I have tried the isopropyl alcohol wipedown, but the water marks are still present.

Do you think scratchx will do the trick or is there a more specific product that will work better?

(Just a little bit of background this car has been sitting outside and hit with sprinklers for 1 mths and its a black car Click here to enlarge)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ooo, im in a similar pickle myself so if someone has any suggestion, i would very much appreciate it too. thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hieracity Click here to enlarge
    Ooo, im in a similar pickle myself so if someone has any suggestion, i would very much appreciate it too. thanks!
    +1, would like to know as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If washing and alcohol don't work I only really know of two other solutions. Polishing is the traditional answer and highly effective in most cases. If you have the right polishes and a buffer you can almost always buff them. A buffer is often a huge help and sometimes a necessity depending on how deep the etchings are. The easier solution is the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover, which removes light to medium etchings by just wiping this solution on the affected areas. If you have any questions about these products or the process please let me know!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Water spot remover was what I was going to say, usually works best.

Personally, I think after a proper wash, and dry in the shade, the sun takes em out eventually- but I usually buff em out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you. Might have to look into that product. In your expert opinion, is Chemical Guys Water Spot Removal is move effective than Scrath X (the product OP mentioned)? Will it also help a little with swirl marks by any chance?

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by hieracity; 05-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hieracity Click here to enlarge
    Thank you. Might have to look into that product. In your expert opinion, is Chemical Guys Water Spot Removal is move effective than Scrath X (the product OP mentioned)? Will it also help a little with swirl marks by any chance?

Thanks for your input!
    The Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 is a VERY light polish that can only remove extremely light surface imperfections. Therefore it can remove only a very limited amount of swirls and water marks. The Water Spot Remover is probably more aggressive on the water marks and can get you better results. It's not really designed to remove swirls but it's certainly possible to remove some. I would not by the Water Spot Remover for swirl removal.

If your goal is to remove the water marks and swirls I would highly recommend stepping up to the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or a comparable light polish. It will more effectively do both jobs compared to the Scratch X. If the marks are too deep it's possible you will need the help of a stronger polish and a buffer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DetailedImage.com Click here to enlarge
    The Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 is a VERY light polish that can only remove extremely light surface imperfections. Therefore it can remove only a very limited amount of swirls and water marks. The Water Spot Remover is probably more aggressive on the water marks and can get you better results. It's not really designed to remove swirls but it's certainly possible to remove some. I would not by the Water Spot Remover for swirl removal.

If your goal is to remove the water marks and swirls I would highly recommend stepping up to the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or a comparable light polish. It will more effectively do both jobs compared to the Scratch X. If the marks are too deep it's possible you will need the help of a stronger polish and a buffer.
    Awesome! I think I will "step-up" to he M205 polish. Any recommended way of applying it? Product and/or techniques. Don't have a buffer =/

Again, thanks for your help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Glad to hear the M205 should provide noticeably better results. Wash or clean any areas you'd like to polish first. I would get a foam applicator put just a few tiny drops of the M205 on it and then buff in a circular motion with medium pressure. For stubborn stains medium to heavy pressure can help. Work in small sections and buff off the excess polish as you go with a clean microfiber towel. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^
    Thanks! Probably won't get a chance to work on the car till the end of the month. Will follow up with results and/or more questions on detailing!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Any updates hieracity?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about a clay bar? Either ive never had waterspots or it has removed them every time I clay.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Any updates hieracity?
    I'm ordering it today. Will let you guys know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 05m3smg Click here to enlarge
    What about a clay bar? Either ive never had waterspots or it has removed them every time I clay.
    A wash and clay bar can only remove the whitish residue left behind. So they can help in some situations, but it's pretty limited. However water marks often etch in to the surface and a clay bar and washing will do nothing in these situations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok makes sense.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DetailedImage.com Click here to enlarge
    A wash and clay bar can only remove the whitish residue left behind. So they can help in some situations, but it's pretty limited. However water marks often etch in to the surface and a clay bar and washing will do nothing in these situations.
    Not that DI needs a +1 but ... +1

water sports are etched in the clear coat so polishing to bring down the 'level' of the clearcoat around it is the only way to 'remove them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have used the old Meguiar's 3 step process. Ist you use the cleaner, then the polish, then the wax. On my wife's old vovlo s40, the red paint was dulled, there were water spots, bird $#@! stains, etc. I used a cheapo random orbital buffer applying all 3 products, and a terry cloth towel to remove. The paint looked as good as new when done.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love M205, but it works better with a DA, oppose to applying by hand. The abrasive level of M205 is not high but will do the job if the etching is not too bad. I recommend Meguiars Ultimate Compound. It is amazing simply using a yellow foam pad and with a bit of elbow grease you should be able to remove most of the marks. Here are my results on the last car i detailed. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

this is just a light pass w/ a DA and some ultimate, just make sure to read the instructions =)