Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning a M70??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Tuning a M70??

Hi guys. What do you know about tuning a m70.
    Show me what you know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can tell you the M70 isn't popular enough of a tuning platform to have an engine section here. I know that.

What car in particular are you looking at since the M70 saw some evolution?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I own a BMW e31.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    850ci I'm guessing or you would have referred to an S70?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    tuning, in what regard? this is bimmerboost so i assume you mean FI?

looks like koenig did 3 of these and ess would have if there'd been more interest.

lulz...ya blud

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It really depends on his budget. If it is the 840ci, he should look into doing what BMW did. That would be increasing displacement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was actuallny not thinking about FI. Hard to find a forum where you can talk about modifying the m70. Everyone just keep telling me turbo, but I really dont want one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fatandre Click here to enlarge
    I was actuallny not thinking about FI. Hard to find a forum where you can talk about modifying the m70. Everyone just keep telling me turbo, but I really dont want one.
    Forget that turbo nonsense. It's a complex/temperamental motor and there is barely any forced induction out there for it. It would cost you an arm and a leg anyway.

What is your budget and power goal for this? If you just want a small bump, get a tune and exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I have been thinking are some new camshafts along with headers. Some bigger TB.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I have been thinking are some new camshafts along with headers. Some bigger TB.
    Not sure who has cams but I would assume Schrick as who else would? Headers are going to be tough to find off the shelf.

These guys seem to have an M70 tuning program: http://racingpowerplant.com/bmw_m70.htm

However, I have never heard of them and can't recommend them. They also have a broken image on the M70 page which leads me to believe nobody has looked at it in a long time.

It's a start though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been thinking about schrick cams and VAC headers.

VAC's Stage 2 Performance Cylinder Heads: Unmatched Performance

VAC Motorsports Stage 2 Cylinder Heads have the advantages of Stage 1, but here real performance portential begins.
    Stage 2 heads have years in the field and have been fine tuned over the years to fully enhance the torque band and mid to top-end power. Compatible with all other cylinder head upgrades as well as forced induction. Our Stage 2 Cylinder Heads feature the following:
    • Complete Disassembly & Cleaning
    • Comprehensive Leak, Crack & Pressure Test
    • Inspect All Components For Irregular Wear
    • Our Superior Max Performance Multi-angle Intake, Radius Exhaust Valve Job Using Serdi Equipment
    • Unshrouding of Valves
    • Attention to Potential Hot-spot Areas and Chamfering
    • All New VAC Uprated Valve Guides
    • Trueness Checked & Resurfaced Mating Surface
    • High Performance VAC Valve Springs, Balanced
    • Titanium Or Steel Alloy Valve Spring Retainers
    • Proprietary Tweaks to Improve Performance Everything above is a Flow-Bench and real world tested design

*Core cylinder head is required for this job. We prefer to work with the customers core cylinder head, but one can be supplied on request by clicking above.*

Schrick manufactures the finest camshafts from premium blanks in their state of the art facility in Germany.
    We have used Schrick cams in hundreds of engine builds and continue to be impressed by their quality and consistent output in every application.

If your V12 is in need of a performance boost, this will give it the wake up you crave while keeping the freight-train smooth torque you love.
    VAC is one of the country's exclusive and most knowledgeable dealers of Schrick components. We always keep a variety of Schrick cams for a range of applications in-stock. If you have any questions, just talk to one of our engine consultants to guide you into the proper camshaft for your application.

• Sold as a pair
    • 264/264 Degree Duration
    • Compatible with stock valve train

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't really recommend the VAC heads as they will list heads for everything even without having honestly done them. The M70 heads can definitely be improved upon so any good head shop should not have trouble.

The Schrick cams are a good idea.

You will need a good custom tune from a competent tuner after all that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whats wrong with the VAC ones?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whats wrong with the VAC ones?
    No proven results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you say I could improve the ones I have. What would I need to have done to them?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you say I could improve the ones I have. What would I need to have done to them?
    I'm not really a head expert but typically they will look at the ports/valves. There is definitely room for improvement in your heads, they can also be milled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any more ideas?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been in touch with CJ at VAC Motorsports, i am considering a performance upgrade from them myself for my E38 750i (M73).

From what my own research has lead me, the heads on these engines are really restrictive. The Stage II from VAC will support somewhere in the range of ~100hp/liter flow. This will of course require camshafts and higher compression pistons.

Their Stage III kit has seen 155hp/liter in race applications on a M73 engine, that is 873hp !

In my opinion the M70 and M73 are very capable power plants, and because of their level of expense nobody has ever considered modding one Click here to enlarge

My plans include, Stage II heads & Shrick Cams... later i would either drop compression to 8-8.3:1 and supercharge it OR raise compression to 10.5:1...

A naturally aspirated V12 monster will always be the illest $#@! around !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    stay all motor, more reliable especially with the rarity of parts and tunes for this engine. High compression v12 with long tube headers and open pipes and high duration cams at 8000 RPM is what makes life worth living.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    I have been in touch with CJ at VAC Motorsports, i am considering a performance upgrade from them myself for my E38 750i (M73).

From what my own research has lead me, the heads on these engines are really restrictive. The Stage II from VAC will support somewhere in the range of ~100hp/liter flow. This will of course require camshafts and higher compression pistons.

Their Stage III kit has seen 155hp/liter in race applications on a M73 engine, that is 873hp !

In my opinion the M70 and M73 are very capable power plants, and because of their level of expense nobody has ever considered modding one Click here to enlarge

My plans include, Stage II heads & Shrick Cams... later i would either drop compression to 8-8.3:1 and supercharge it OR raise compression to 10.5:1...

A naturally aspirated V12 monster will always be the illest $#@! around !
    Good stuff. Look at that, we have naturally aspirated V12 owners!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    stay all motor, more reliable especially with the rarity of parts and tunes for this engine. High compression v12 with long tube headers and open pipes and high duration cams at 8000 RPM is what makes life worth living.
    i agree 100%

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is nothing like a v12 sound in the morning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    100/liter is a really really optimistic claim.
    and 150/liter is just BS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    100/liter is a really really optimistic claim.
    and 150/liter is just BS.

How so, 150hp/liter can be obtained with some serious tuning... heads, seriously high compression, camshafts and 8000+revs !

a 350cid GM engine can be stroked to 383cid and made to make 700hp without any sort of forced induction...

both engines are.... well.... engines.... i don't see where there is a difference in being able to produce these numbers with this sort displacement..

oh, and the M70 has a definite advantage, it has overhead camshafts... the bottleneck is definately the heads, they have rather restricted flow..

i am unable to find it but one M70 owner made 1100hp with a turbocharged M70 running 1.9bar, and then after installing better flowing heads (wich i beleive were VAC Stage II / III) ran 1300hp, with 1.2bar... where does that lead us ??

stop pulling words out your ass and get your facts straight...

we're not talking about making 150hp/1000cc with just slapping a set of new heads on !
    Last edited by angelic0-; 09-29-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0- Click here to enlarge
    stop pulling words out your ass and get your facts straight
    Please, don't be rude.

there is an ultimate M70 out there, do you know what it's called? it's called S70/2. Best engineers at BMW tried to do their best and design that engine. what was the result? 103hp/liter.
    Now you are telling me some dudes at a work shop can make it a better engine than legendary Paul Rosche? come on man. He's the one behind the 1300hp engines in F1 90's, he's the man behind the 800hp M1 in 80's and also the behind the 500hp Gruppe B 320i in 70's. Have VAC dudes done any of these?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0-
    a 350cid GM engine can be stroked to 383cid and made to make 700hp without any sort of forced induction
    We are not talking about GM engines. we are not talking about BMW S85 engine also, we are talking about M70. OK?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by angelic0-
    i am unable to find it but one M70 owner made 1100hp with a turbocharged M70 running 1.9bar, and then after installing better flowing heads (wich i beleive were VAC Stage II / III) ran 1300hp, with 1.2bar... where does that lead us ??
    it does lead us to no where. are we talking about forced induction? NO. So no examples from FI cars can be said here. Who do you know the heads would add 200hp on a NA M70? really how? let's say it's true, with new heads the M70 can make 500hp. so is BMW retarded that much not to use it in newer models? why the hell they spent millions of dollars on R&D in M73 and N73 just to make extra 140 hp?

Live in the real world mate, in the real world. 750 HP M70? I would really really love that to own one, but there is no such a thing with real a world cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast