Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Rob - thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    '

If you had the smoke with the stock turbos then why would this be an RB issue?
    Well my stock turbos started smoking then gradually got worse and worse until needing to be replaced.. So I am just hoping this will not happen to the RB's over time.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Awesome, that explains why Steves rattle and others don't (they were half assed and a prototype). Now how about some reasoning for why some smoke and other don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    PM me your addy on N54Tech, and I will send you a fix. How about that. You don't even have my turbos.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    I have the newest turbos with the larger rod, but I'm still rattling...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have any shaft play and was ready to remove my turbos. Now that there are more guys with the same issue Im actually feeling positive that its not the turbo itself. It has to be the small drain lines with increased crankcase pressures.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    PM me your addy on N54Tech, and I will send you a fix. How about that. You don't even have my turbos.
    Interesting! Click here to enlarge

Check your PM's.

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up regarding the rattle on LM's turbos.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateracing335i Click here to enlarge
    I don't have any shaft play and was ready to remove my turbos. Now that there are more guys with the same issue Im actually feeling positive that its not the turbo itself. It has to be the small drain lines with increased crankcase pressures.
    How is your oil consumption and how bad is the smoking? Does it happen under the same conditions as Dzennos smoke?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exact same issues but its intermittent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Like I haven't commented enough on that topic already. One thing to remember that in no way can I guarantee that one will not have a problem NO matter what 100% of the time. I also can not guarantee that these will not move enough air to kill your motor, they certainly can. Next up the guy that pops his engine is blaming me and demanding a replacement.

I do think that if I were there doing the installs (and trashing crap that I don't think is necessary at the same time, and testing diverter/BOV valves adjustments and functionality, etc), that most to all of the several would've been eliminated. Contamination, PCV clogs, Induction leaks, kinked returns, dirty or improperly cleaned or replaced feeds, debris failing into feed hole during assembly, poor priming, all can lead to a turbos demise. I have seen at least one of the persons with problems indicate on forums having had at least a couple of those issues; and that was just lucky enough that they had actually spelled it out on a forum for me to read. Not that it matters much after he has a problem, it is still my name and hence fault.

Most manufacturers will not even warranty a new turbo unless you purchase a new oil feed and show proof of purchase and use. I think that is a little overkill as lines can usually be removed and properly cleaned with solvent/compressed air, but it's still a fact to illustrate the importance of a clean oil feed. Even then it is still open for debate with them, and you rarely if ever would find the "source" defending anything over the internet.

With me there's not much red tape to cut through and for that my customer's are lucky. I am sure you will come back and say BS, you didn't do this or you didn't do that and that is your right... but as said before I simply do not have time to address any naysayer and battle all experts on the internet (many of which aren't or wouldve never even been a customer of mine).

What I can do, is stand behind the product and try my best to make any customers misfortune right regardless of who is at fault; as I deem appropriate and fair.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Awesome, that explains why Steves rattle and others don't (they were half assed and a prototype). Now how about some reasoning for why some smoke and other don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

I have heard of some say they are seeing oil dripping from the rear induction tube, sometimes more than others, and this can happen even on stock cars. This leads me to believe that some could be PCV venting under the higher loads and tossing out some oil (that yes a OCC could possibly help with, but doesnt, in all cases). I am sure Up'd boost and Up'd turbos isn't helping those cars.

Dzenno had also told me once that on your particular car, when they were tuning that day, they had disconnected your PCV and felt TONS of blowby coming out of the line. I had always just kind of figured you may have some blowby issues, but as I have said if you believe its the turbos you know how to contact me.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateracing335i Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting! Click here to enlarge

Check your PM's.

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up regarding the rattle on LM's turbos.
    Whatever it may be, it's a major fiasco.
    Big Tom, You were all over that thread that LM referenced from 6 weeks ago. It was an external issue and you contributed to the discussion. Don't understand why you would escalate it into an RB issue here with a bunch of down arrows and say it is a fiasco. That's like throwing red meat in the water for some of these internet sharks.

On N54 in July: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13160

Why not try a spring instead? It should withstand the heat better...
    Where exactly did you place the rubberband? Click here to enlarge
    I got curious to try this now... Click here to enlarge
    Rob, Keep doing great work and don't let this get you down on labor day!
    Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (DO12/Aquamist Flow Sensor), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My engine is perfect and i have no blow by issues. The issue is how the upgraded turbos work with the car. Dzenno is not an expert when it comes to the n54 and either are you. Many techs from BMW, well respected tuners here have had a look at my car. Now there is an issue here. I'm not blaming your turbos and never have I. Its how the turbo works with the car. Your not working with us your just trying to to take away blame from your turbos from things you've heard from the grapevine. So anybody with an older engine shouldn't use upgraded turbos because they have blow by. Were not talking a little smoke, it's embarrassing when it happens and it doesn't always happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    My engine is perfect and i have no blow by issues. The issue is how the upgraded turbos work with the car. Dzenno is not an expert when it comes to the n54 and either are you. Many techs from BMW, well respected tuners here have had a look at my car. Now there is an issue here. I'm not blaming your turbos and never have I. Its how the turbo works with the car. Your not working with us your just trying to to take away blame from your turbos from things you've heard from the grapevine. So anybody with an older engine shouldn't use upgraded turbos because they have blow by. Were not talking a little smoke, it's embarrassing when it happens and it doesn't always happen.
    Dans car had EPLs in it and it still smoked. His PCV was bad internally, or because he drove the living $#@! out of the car and it had more wear on the engine than some others...the rear turbo sucked oil all day long.

And for the record, turbos dont NEED to have shaft play to have bad oil seals. I recently did an oem set of turbos and guess what? They had no shaft play, literally none at all. The front compressor seal had failed, allowing the engine to push the excess oil pressure into the charge pipe.

Another customers cars turbos are also in perfect condition too when i did his downpipes. But his car developed smoking too after a week. I pulled them and checked the turbos, they are fine. You will not see oil in the turbine housing as it burns off once exposed to the high temperatures. I have never ever seen these turbos push oil from the turbine side, it is always a drainage issue that backs up and causes it to push oil out the compressor side. Only in one or two cases with older turbo engines from different makes have I see the turbos destroy themselves from the turbine side, and its usually due to oil starvation...once that problem is fixed people dont realize the turbine is damage and it starts vomiting oil.

The problem doesnt lie in the turbos. There is something else causing the issues.

Btw have you pulled your intake manifold yet and actually looked at your intake valves? That will show you how good your pcv system is operating...this engine has vent ports cast into the head, you will never solve the issue of a complete pcv by-pass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$#@! I have to edit that post and I dont know how to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just did a valve cleaning and it was completely normal in there. Some deposits but nothing that shouldnt be there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

The other thing too is, didnt dzennos car have like 90 dyno pulls in one day? Thats a whole lot od a use to put through one engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    The other thing too is, didnt dzennos car have like 90 dyno pulls in one day? Thats a whole lot od a use to put through one engine.
    If we cant beat our cars then whats the point. Lets close discussions and go back to stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scottp999 Click here to enlarge
    Big Tom, You were all over that thread that LM referenced from 6 weeks ago. It was an external issue and you contributed to the discussion. Don't understand why you would escalate it into an RB issue here with a bunch of down arrows and say it is a fiasco. That's like throwing red meat in the water for some of these internet sharks.
    It would definitely have been a fiasco if a couple of upgraded turbos with full internal wastegate upgrade would have started to rattle.
    Now when Rob has explained everything about those two specific rattling turbos, things have definitely changed.

Anything else?
    Last edited by Big Tom; 09-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The Mitsubishi TD family is used in huge number of cars. I cannot see that after having manufactured these maybe millions or tens of millions, they could still have a design flaw.

If someone believes that the turbos are the reason rather than the engine, you have always the option to put a restrictor on the oil feed to the turbos.

I'm not trying to downplay the individual feelings, but it is just hard to see a problem in the Mitsubishi turbos. Can anyone tell me in simple terms what part or parts would be problematic? And based on what?

The cylinder pressures and EGTs can get quite high at 500WHP. Has anyone measured those or checked for the health of their engines after torturing them some time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

At some point someone pushes even RBs so far that they will be killed and removed. It will be interesting to see how much oil will be consumed on stock turbos after that. Even though the stockers cannot push the engine quite to the same 500 WHP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You should all be thankful that Rob is here to at least respond. Some vendors don't even take the time to try and fix their 'would-be' product issues.

And for the record, IMO, he isn't trying to deflect attention to his turbos. He's approaching the problem the way any technical person would, investigate the SYSTEM AS A WHOLE before replacing turbos/wastegates. Try and understand where the problem is coming from before pointing your dicks at rob, it could be something else somewhere else.

Anyway, you are all spoiled that Rob is even taking the time to respond. Most vendors would just say $#@! YOU, you $#@!ed up the install.

Not trying to nuthug, just what I see and my experience in the car world is usually the '$#@! you' response from aftermarket vendors.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If we cant beat our cars then whats the point. Lets close discussions and go back to stock.
    I fully agree, they definitely should be beaten. However, I would not have allowed those runs. High boost runs dozens of utimes on a dyno without the proper air flow and cooling is definitely a lot more dangerous than beating the car in a road course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I fully agree, they definitely should be beaten. However, I would not have allowed those runs. High boost runs dozens of utimes on a dyno without the proper air flow and cooling is definitely a lot more dangerous than beating the car in a road course.
    This. I waa going to say the exact same thing. Back to back dyno runs for 8 hours straight is not the norm for tuning. Break it down over the course of a week or month then maybe, but your car should not have anywhere 90 pulls to try to come up with a hp figure.

For all we know, dzenno could have had worn out the oil control rings and thats contributing to his oil issue. Car can still have great compression but burn oil that way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats running the car at 20psi. Dzenno did more pulls than me but we dont run 20psi all the time. I did a few dyno glory runs with cool down at 20. The car does not smoke under load or doesnt seem to.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast