Close

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I lol @ this thread. No one seems to be paying attention or even wants to.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are upgraded, but something is still rattling. It might or might not be related to the flapper.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    They are upgraded, but something is still rattling. It might or might not be related to the flapper.
    Whatever it may be, it's a major fiasco.
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Look who's here, Laloosh!!! we are so proud man by having you here Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Whatever it may be, it's a major fiasco.
    If its an issue or not is not known yet. For some reason all these memebers reporting smoking do everything but ONE THING.
    Take off your downpipes and check for shaft play. That should be the first thing ever turbo car owner should do once they start noticing smoke or higher oil consumption. Why people are chasing catch cans/oil pressures and whatever else the new FAD will be is beyond me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What!?
    Wasn't the rattle supposed to be addressed with the RB's? ↓ ↓ ↓
    o

h, you mean the OEM arm spacing that causes rattling, as we discussed here?

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...stegate+rattle

Ive got a washer on order that should solve that minute problem Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So would you consider that a design flaw?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on BMW's end, yes, hence why they have the newer/larger rods, which is what i do NOT have. so a $.50 clip is fine with me over a bit more for a new rod and labor to take it off

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    oh, you mean the OEM arm spacing that causes rattling, as discussed with BT here?

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...stegate+rattle

Ive got a washer on order that should solve that minute problem Click here to enlarge
    I don't think the rattle is coming from the actuator arm, it's either from the flapper or the WG internals...

But I hope for your sake that you'll solve the problem with this simple trick. Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think the rattle is coming from the actuator arm, it's either from the flapper or the WG internals...

But I hope for your sake that you solve the problem with this simple solution. Click here to enlarge
    as for describing what i saw and heard from my own car, with my own ears, and the fix and how it helped while the band lasted, i KNOW thats the issue. so yes, thank you

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on BMW's end, yes, hence why they have the newer/larger rods, which is what i do NOT have. so a $.50 clip is fine with me over a bit more for a new rod and labor to take it off
    I have newer rods, guess what, it didnt change anything. So how can this be a design flaw when it affects your car but not others. However when something affects other cars but not yours it is not a design flaw? Just trying to understand your reasoning here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have the newest turbos with the larger rod, but I'm still rattling...
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    did you put a band on your car and the sound went away? im guessing not. so your issue is one thats different than mine Click here to enlarge so a different solution to a different problem

I have the newest turbos with the larger rod, but I'm still rattling...
    do you have an upgraded arm as with RB? if not, then i believe you fall in the same category as above, different problem

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So now theres an upgraded RB arm? How come nobody else is talking about rattle with rbs expect you. Is it one of those things that no one speaks about untill its brought up?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    I lol @ this thread. No one seems to be paying attention or even wants to.
    It will get deleted soon enough.

Luckily the real thread there is still civilized and ideas are being exchanged. Hopefully someone will be able to pinpoint the problem and get it resolved. I'm looking at getting RB's within the year and I'd like to avoid this issue.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I say arm as in wastegate.
    maybe they dont talk about it cause they dont have it?
    maybe its the actuator rod on mine that is defective, as ive said before.... read the thread on n54, you will have a good grasp on what mine is doing, and how miniscual it is, and not the fault of any upgraded part

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine
    I say arm as in wastegate.
    maybe they dont talk about it cause they dont have it?
    maybe its the actuator rod on mine that is defective, as ive said before.... read the thread on n54, you will have a good grasp on what mine is doing, and how miniscual it is, and not the fault of any upgraded part
    So you mean that the actuator arm is different on the RB's?
    In which way?
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scourge82 Click here to enlarge
    It will get deleted soon enough.

Luckily the real thread there is still civilized and ideas are being exchanged..
    deleted? ha, yea right, back to boyscouts camp if you want deleted threads.

I appluad RB and other that contribute, but i have no patience for dumbfucks and dont need to restrain myself.

but it should be noted that the hardest pushed Rb's have no smoking issue, which is what the children on E90 want to forget and overexxagerate- meaning those that do, have other undiagnosed and unresolved issues

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    deleted? ha, yea right, back to boyscouts camp if you want deleted threads.

I appluad RB and other that contribute, but i have no patience for dumbfucks and dont need to restrain myself.

but it should be noted that the hardest pushed Rb's have no smoking issue, which is what the children on E90 want to forget and overexxagerate- meaning those that do, have other undiagnosed and unresolved issues
    See what you fail to realize is the people who are smoking and eating oil, don't really care that you are not. They want to know why their turbos are blown and smoking not why yours arnt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm a bit confused... I thought that there was a new WG bushing in the turbo casing with better thermal strength and dimension on RB's and that the flapper axis was thicker than stock. Is this correct or not? Maybe RB can chime in and clarify. I also hope any issues with RB's, if this is the case, can be solved easily by some clever mod. The efficiency of RB's is excellent and it would be very bad if they cannot be widely used as they perform very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Isn't the rod supposed to be included in the "full internal wastegate upgrade" which Rob was talking about?
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So has there been any concrete answers as to why their turbos are doing what they aren't supposed to be?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Same, I applaude RB and you for wanting to take this platform and making it better for everyone else. I read up on alot of RB's posts on E90 and N54 and he has been honest on all of the issues wants to correct them, That's someone I can stand behind.

I know you don't have any issues, but some are for some reason, it could be for something faulty in their turbos, or installed incorrectly, or something else entirely.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    So has there been any concrete answers as to why their turbos are doing what they aren't supposed to be?
    Untill people start removing downpipes and checking for play/oil, its all guess work and theories.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Oh geez. Here we go again. Got to love the internet. Let me take another 30 minutes to address this new found "epidemic".

LostMarines set of turbos were the prototypes. If anything, they were rushed and as half done as imaginable. It simply wasn't worth pursuing an upgrade if it wasn't going to work so many corners were cut in producing them (sorry man, but they aren't as pretty as the production units but hey at least they have worked for you). The wastegate design on his were also a prototype, the very first set EVER cut. This was a portion of the upgrade I considered not even doing, but as some may recall I did as a last step as we found that it just a requirement MOST of the time. That said there were machining operations on them that were incomplete that I actually had to bench grind so there were no interferences. Additionally, one had some additional axial clearance through the bushing as well and probably too much. It never caused a problem when I had ran them, and although I didnt think much of it, I still told him about it. All of that said, I'm not even certain that is what he is having an issue with "rattling" but it is feasible as the clearance was not as ideal in my opinion. No one cared at the moment, as it was something that was very rushed all around; he was on his second failed set of turbos and needed them fast.

In addition, it is true that there is excess clearance FROM the factory on the portion of the wastegate assembly that Steve was talking about. This is one point that does not experience the typical "wear to rattle", yet clearance was built into place at the C-clip. There are 2 other points that wear, in some cases significantly, that cause extreme rattle... that I can find no fix for aside from trashing it all and replacing with new very expensive components, which is what I have done.

The C-clip portion of the turbo will always have that clearance. Nothing to be done there, even on BRAND NEW OEM units. This is why you hear or read about the threads that say "brand new turbos, just got them yesterday installed at BMW for free! But still hear a little rattle!!! Why oh why me!!??"

Doesnt matter if you have the 6mm, or 8mm, that clearance is going to be there no matter what forever and for always. I have sourced some cool spring washers though, for those who are more discerning about rattling, and they can use them on turbos that are made by me, ASR, MHI, Tial, Helix, whoever... dont care.

Now I am going to have customers out with stethoscopes on their car, with a buddy in the drivers seat revving, continually, in the garage on a quiet night, listening for an abnormal noise. "Yep, the wastegates are making a noise!!! I can hear them operate, that's not right!!! I saw a thread about this, there was a problem; you deserve a refund!"

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Steve hows your wastegate rattle we talked about at paul miller?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast