Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    giving you smoke out the exhaust usually under boost.
    strange thing is that there is no smoke under boost, its actually when you come off boost.
    Last edited by Rowen; 06-18-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: wrong quote

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Good talking with you Rowen. Great guy who understands problems can and do happen, this is the aftermarket where parts are pushed and sometimes and/or in some ways they are compromised.

Since the RB warranty is in question, just wanted to point out that it is 1 year unlimited mileage usually no questions asked complete repair. I've had some pretty horrific sets come back (ingested nuts through wheels, contaminated oiling systems, etc) that should not have ever been covered but we had covered them regardless. I'd prefer not to finger point but rather to just make things easy on the end user as possible. When you are down the last thing you need is kicked again and again, so we definitely do what we can to ease the pain. Exceptions can be made and this should not be expected, but typically that is just our philosophy. Even if out of warranty or in worse case scenarios repairs can be made for beyond fair prices. One post for the day.

Rob

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rowen Click here to enlarge
    Ok, so I've chatted to Rob and the plan is as follows (nothing really different from the previous couple of pages)

- montinor the oil usage for the next 2 / 3weeks
    - will remove the DP's to check for shaft play
    - Identifyt which bank the smoke is coming from, to me it looks like both side (quad exhaust on the 1M)

If all else fails I will ship the turbo back to Rob fo rhim to check them out. Thaks for the chat Rob and all the help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Good talking with you Rowen. Great guy who understands problems can and do happen, this is the aftermarket where parts are pushed and sometimes and/or in some ways they are compromised.

Since the RB warranty is in question, just wanted to point out that it is 1 year unlimited mileage usually no questions asked complete repair. I've had some pretty horrific sets come back (ingested nuts through wheels, contaminated oiling systems, etc) that should not have ever been covered but we had covered them regardless. I'd prefer not to finger point but rather to just make things easy on the end user as possible. When you are down the last thing you need is kicked again and again, so we definitely do what we can to ease the pain. Exceptions can be made and this should not be expected, but typically that is just our philosophy. Even if out of warranty or in worse case scenarios repairs can be made for beyond fair prices. One post for the day.

Rob
    1 year is good glad to see you honoring it even when you shouldn't.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I can confirm that Rob attends to the problems that may occur. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rob
    Rob I fitted my turbos two years ago and haven't been back in the area. A thought crossed my mind though. Is there a possibility that the oil returns may be "disturbed" when a down pipe swop takes place? Or if the lambdas are in a strange position as the normally are on RHD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    1 year is good glad to see you honoring it even when you shouldn't.
    I'm a fair bit out of the 1 year warranty and enquired about a rebuild with fresh seals etc and Robs price were very reasonable.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I'm a fair bit out of the 1 year warranty and enquired about a rebuild with fresh seals etc and Robs price were very reasonable.
    How far out we talking?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An update. Oil change has really helped, very little to no smoke and realised that one of the "C" clamps on the turbo housing was completly out, had that refitted, Car is churning along nicely. Time to do a build thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    George,

Funny that you mention this. Actually it has been found that in some situations the front oil return lines get a kink in them. The front line is kind of a shoddy design to begin with as it has untrue bends, sharp angles, and a short flex section that is easily compromised. These kinks in the line can impede oil flow by up to 40%, well enough to limit draining and cause a weeping oil condition (and hence smoke) out of an otherwise good seal. Details are sketchy on whether it is a line that was compromised by allowing too much of a bend during the install, etc, but the front oil return line definitely can be an issue. We are addressing this by making a new custom oil line for the front shortly. It will be made available for any interested. Personally I feel this could be an issue for many people out there experiencing sporatic smoke, on any kind of turbos, which are seeing oil come out of the front turbo.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Rob I fitted my turbos two years ago and haven't been back in the area. A thought crossed my mind though. Is there a possibility that the oil returns may be "disturbed" when a down pipe swop takes place? Or if the lambdas are in a strange position as the normally are on RHD.
    Glad to hear the issue has cleared to some extent. I am not sure if this applies to you but just for others who may see it... oil in these cars should be changed much more frequently than the OEMs suggest. I'd personally recommend changing the oil at no more than 5k mile intervals. One post for the day.

An update. Oil change has really helped, very little to no smoke and realised that one of the "C" clamps on the turbo housing was completly out, had that refitted, Car is churning along nicely. Time to do a build thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kudos to Rob for taking the time to clarify and own up to a potential issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    George,

Funny that you mention this. Actually it has been found that in some situations the front oil return lines get a kink in them. The front line is kind of a shoddy design to begin with as it has untrue bends, sharp angles, and a short flex section that is easily compromised. These kinks in the line can impede oil flow by up to 40%, well enough to limit draining and cause a weeping oil condition (and
    hence smoke) out of an otherwise good seal. Details are sketchy on whether it is a line that was compromised by allowing too much of a bend during the install, etc, but the front oil return line definitely can be an issue. We are addressing this by making a new custom oil line for the front shortly. It will be made available for any interested. Personally I feel this could be an issue for many people out there experiencing sporatic smoke, on any kind of turbos, which are seeing oil come out of the front turbo.
    Glad to hear the issue has cleared to some extent. I am not sure if this applies to you but just for others who may see it... oil in these cars should be changed much more frequently than the OEMs suggest. I'd personally recommend changing the oil at no more than 5k mile intervals. One post for the day.

Thats exactly what happend to my front oil line Rob but my installer caught it and cut the line relieving the kink and spliced in a piece of tubing. If that is overlooked there could be some major issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    changed about new stamps and currently carry over 9000 km without burning oil like anttes.Click here to enlarge

the car runs very well with rb at 6500rpm with 18.5psi.

my dyno 599hp at crankClick here to enlarge
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
    Kudos to Rob for taking the time to clarify and own up to a potential issue.
    The issue with the front oil return happens with stock turbos too and is not RB specific but more a installation issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The issue with the front oil return happens with stock turbos too and is not RB specific but more a installation issue.
    True. Since the actual issue wasn't known, RB was intending to stand behind whatever issue it could have been. Luckily it was a known install problem. In light of this known issue, is it prudent to go with SS lines when refitting turbos - any turbos?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to know its not an aftermarket design defect.. this should clarify some misconstrued promulgated perceptions..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Rewaking of the dead, I tell ya

Right, so now I’ve reached my witts end

For some background, please refer to my earlier posts on this thread….

This issue has raised its head again Click here to enlarge, this smoking issue went away after an oil change a couple months ago and the apparent “tightening of a clamp” on the turbo and the car has been nothing but fantastic, especially with my new PTF tune ( nudge Click here to enlarge)

The issue started about a week ago and I’ve done another oil change last night, 5w30 oil was used but the problem continues, infact it seems that the oil change hasn’t done much to improve things. However when I had this issue previously, as soon as the car was off the lift after the oil change, there was a marked improvement, infact I can also most say that the issue was completely gone at that point. The car ticked over 4000 km when the oil chnage was done last night, the car has seen numerous dyno runs and loads of kilometres of very hard driving.

George Smooth (forum member) and I recently visited the coast to attend and event and George himself can confirm, there was no smoking whatsoever, and the car made decent power J, pity it was a 1200km round trip for a rained out event.

So what has changed symptom wise, nothing. The issue is on lift off or when approaching a stop. Upon idle, there is no smoke, rev her up and after a couple of sec, smoke appears and seems to be coming from the drivers side exhaust (RHD), but also noticed last night that the passenger side is also starting to chuck some smoke. The car has not used a single drop of oil in the last 4000km and the level indicator remains at max.

Will be doing the following …

• Drive the car for another 200 odd KM, I recall from my previous episode that oil cleared up after some driving
    • Will be stripping off all covers this weekend to check for any signs and also ensure that all oil feeds etc are in place or no issues in that dept
    • I’ve been told to change the oil to a thicker grade, 10w 60 as used in the M cars, not sure about this…

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rewaking of the dead, I tell ya

Right, so now I’ve reached my witts end

For some background, please refer to my earlier posts on this thread….

This issue has raised its head again Click here to enlarge, this smoking issue went away after an oil change a couple months ago and the apparent “tightening of a clamp” on the turbo and the car has been nothing but fantastic, especially with my new PTF tune ( nudge Click here to enlarge)

The issue started about a week ago and I’ve done another oil change last night, 5w30 oil was used but the problem continues, infact it seems that the oil change hasn’t done much to improve things. However when I had this issue previously, as soon as the car was off the lift after the oil change, there was a marked improvement, infact I can also most say that the issue was completely gone at that point. The car ticked over 4000 km when the oil chnage was done last night, the car has seen numerous dyno runs and loads of kilometres of very hard driving.

George Smooth (forum member) and I recently visited the coast to attend and event and George himself can confirm, there was no smoking whatsoever, and the car made decent power J, pity it was a 1200km round trip for a rained out event.

So what has changed symptom wise, nothing. The issue is on lift off or when approaching a stop. Upon idle, there is no smoke, rev her up and after a couple of sec, smoke appears and seems to be coming from the drivers side exhaust (RHD), but also noticed last night that the passenger side is also starting to chuck some smoke. The car has not used a single drop of oil in the last 4000km and the level indicator remains at max.

Will be doing the following …

• Drive the car for another 200 odd KM, I recall from my previous episode that oil cleared up after some driving
    • Will be stripping off all covers this weekend to check for any signs and also ensure that all oil feeds etc are in place or no issues in that dept
    • I’ve been told to change the oil to a thicker grade, 10w 60 as used in the M cars, not sure about this…
    could be any number of things, to include vapor from ethanol or meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If the turbo seals are defective, changing the oil won't help you. Then you'll need to repair the turbos.

I'm quite likely in a similar situation and intend to send the turbos to Rob for an overhaul over the winter.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Öhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    An update

2 oil changes within 500Km hasn't helped. While the oil chnage was been done, the tech did say to me that he could see alot of oil / sweat build up aroound the one turbo but couldn't confrim as he needed to remove the DP's and covers to get a better view.

What i did notice and no sure if this means anything but the smoke literally after 4 / 5 seconds when coming of the gas, this is consistent through out...

will have a better look at the turbos this weekend and post some pica's Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so constant smoke? if so, yea, they're bad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I mean to say,

- approach a stop
    - once you've stop, wait 3 / 4 sec's... then its puff daddy

when I boost, there is nothing. If the car idles, there is smoke every 3 / 4 sec intervals....

This is driving me crazy!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I mean to say,

- approach a stop

when I boost, there is nothing. If the car idles, there is smoke every 3 / 4 sec intervals....

yea, thats early sign i think. i vaguely recall thats how mine started

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carcars Click here to enlarge
    changed about new stamps and currently carry over 9000 km without burning oil like anttes.Click here to enlarge

the car runs very well with rb at 6500rpm with 18.5psi.

my dyno 599hp at crankClick here to enlarge
    I'm a bit late...but what are your mods to reach that number?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I mean to say,

- approach a stop

Bad turbo seals on the exhaust side will cause a turbo to puff smoke after coming to a stop. There usually won't be much if any smoke while cruising, however. This same thing happened to the turbo on one of my other cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm a bit late...but what are your mods to reach that number?
    https://www.facebook.com/BMW.Espana?hc_location=stream
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast