Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW's Self Driving Track Car

I know that Top Gear actually did a run on this a while back, but at Laguna Seca, journalists here were able to ride around in the car.

A few selected journalists were invited at Laguna Seca for a session aboard the M lineup available in the United States. The attraction of the day was not the 1 Series M Coupe as one would expect, but rather an autonomous BMW 330i.

The car was first used at Nurburgring, but recently made its way to BMWs Technology Office in Palo Alto, California, where a team of dedicated and intelligent BMW geeks have adapted the driving style of the 330i to the Laguna Seca race track.

The autonomous car is built on the standard production of the 330i model, but the software underlying the vehicle is quite special. The car uses a built-in GPS, a signal booster and accompanying repeater (increasing bandwidth and accuracy down to the centimeter), a custom map of the track and a trained driver to showcase the perfect racing line.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/08/20/vi...ving-3-series/
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    here's the episode of top gear about this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's nuts. Is this the way of the future?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, but don't think you won't see bad drivers anymore. there will be bad drivers, but instead of women trying to make up while driving, you will see computers sorting their programs while driving.