Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

C&D First Drive: Z4 sDrive28i

On paper, the new engine is off to a good start. BMW claims the turbocharged 2.0-liter makes 240 hp at 6500 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at a very low 1250 rpm. The redline is 7000 rpm. Compared to the naturally aspirated six of the 2011 Z4, the new engine comes up short by 15 horses, but bests it by 40 lb-ft. Given that it has two fewer cylinders, itís also shorter, and the majority of the engineís mass sits behind the front-axle line.

The transplant has changed the Z4ís character. Itís a little more ill-tempered, a little louder, a bit more likely to spit in public. The engine isnít rough, but there is a slight coarseness from the engine and the exhaust under stress. The bark is appropriate for a sports car; it makes the Z4 a bit more exciting and alive. There are other thrilling noises, too. Whereas BMWís other boosted engines keep their turbo whine to a minimum, as if theyíre embarrassed by it, step into the boost in the Z4 and the turbocharger whistles proudly.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Read more here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Not bad, but I really want to see how much power can be extracted from this little I4 with just a tune. I also love the interior of the new Z4, and the look.