Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Geez, 400+ miles on a tank? You guys must be drafting like crazy Click here to enlarge
    I'll be lucky to make it to ~250 if not 300 in the city.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My 6mt got 504 on one tank. I drove to VA and back one weekend for the east coast meet back in 2007. I wish I still had the pic of it, but my old BB Pearl died and I lost everything. No one believed me and I had it up on my myspace page at the time. Granted I was running it on fumes but I did it to prove a point.

I drove the car some more today after putting the 02s in, and to be honest, the harder you push the car the faster it shifts. I guess I wasn't driving it hard enough before. It actually shifts pretty damn good for not touching the software, I drove my girls AT tonight and it does feel vastly different. Enrita I think you should really enjoy this transmission...when it locks up it's just...damn there is so much midrange torque. Even Sgt Jeeps car doesnt feel like this at 14psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    did some cruising with it today and the 2C78 code came back Click here to enlarge.

I hate putting new parts in an attempt to solve a problem and it doesnt work.

02 sim in tomorrow, hopefully goodbye SES light.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is a user skydive on e90post trashing quite hard Level10...
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=572814&page=2

AT folks...

Do NOT go with Level10 if you choose to build your transmission. Level10 are renowned rip-off artists. I went 'round and 'round with them through three transmission builds on my B5 Audi S4 w/GT Turbos, shipping at my own expense each time, at considerable cost. In the end, the "upgrade" consists of a standard ZF (OEM) rebuild kit, and a half a dozen hardware store washers (used to shim the valve body).

The person who lead their sales team for many years finally confided this information, and now works at another transmission shop which shall remain nameless, just to keep this from sounding like an advertisement. His assertions were confirmed when I tore down the transmission myself.

There are three transmission shops in the same area. They are all known to one another, and they are all pretty shady.*

I went through all the options with my Audi, and ultimately concluded that there is no cost effective way to upgrade ZF auto-manual transmissions for big power. Beware that valve-body "upgrades" will change your car into something less than a comfortable daily driver.

If you plan to go beyond the "Stage 2" barrier, invest in a manual transmission. (I have steel in both legs, and do not have the option. If I want to go drag racing, I'll do in a platform which includes an appropriate original equipment automatic, or one that is commonly built.)

-Michael
    I never found one that could do anything particularly useful for high power with the ZF boxes, but I can tell you certainly that these cannot:

Level10
    IPT

Sam at 517 Transmission is particularly honest, but he was unable to make the AT5 in my GT equipped S4 hold. That car uses a 5HP19 which is similar to the one in our 335s. (He did, however accept responsibility, pay return shipping, and rebuild it again when it blew, at his cost.) I see from their webapage that they have since built a high power A6 with a ZF box, so perhaps they've got things figured out now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by*enrita*
    Care to show some proof about your statement? Clearly 517 trans is a competitor of the 2 other companies...
    That they are... and as I indicated, I have had experience with all of the above, and success with none of them. That's my proof. If you search around on the Audizine or Audiworld, you may be able to find the smoking gun in the form of my teardown pictures after the third Level10 debacle.

The first one was an assembly error. They crushed the front shaft seal by installing it at an angle. My car was down for an additional three weeks.

The second one was an overpower issue. I shipped back at my own expense.

The third one was an over power issue. I tore it down myself and observed stock parts, a maimed torque converter, and a stack of washers. I gave up and went to 517.

I overpowered the 517 build as well, but Sam took it back at his own expense, rebuilt it, and shipped it out to someone who bought the transmission from me.

I gave up on the car, demodded, and sold it on the basis that it is not possible to build these transmissions reliably to horsepower levels that I was asking at the time...

I was running APR K04s, commonly referred to as a Stage III at the time of the Level10 failures. In a B5 S4, that in the 420-450 awhp neighborhood.

The 517 build was killed off by a set of Tial GT turbos, making roughly 550 awhp.

I was not torque braking, or otherwise power shifting...

Take it for what you will. I truly have no dog in this fight, but I HIGHLY recommend that you avoid Level10 based on my own experience. (A Google search will reveal similar horror stories about Level10.)

I wish it were different, actually as I would like to make big bower in my 335 as well, but I don't believe its practical or cost effective, for as long as I must drive an AT.

-Michael

I have notified level10 about it, lets see what they answer.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive heard things about supra trans' as well. but i cant say anything negative about mine. ill put it to the test once i get the new rear end.

I do however find anything shady when someone posts negative about X company but talks about Y in the same post, but you already caught onto that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LM your review, feeling and tests are all that counts to me. Real life experience on the same trans/car/power.Pat answered very short that it looked like an ad to him and that i should not believe the smoke and that i could cancel the order if i felt uncomfortable.Preatty much the answer i was looking for.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    enrita, i appreciate your inquisitive nature. keep us well updated on what your plan is and thanks for bringing the discussion here.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope the Level10 upgrade works out well. What is a worrying though is they don't specifies how the upgrade is done but instead it is different from AT to AT depending in what they see in the received unit. How can anyone see this, especially if the upgrade is intended for a higher power level later in time Click here to enlarge. Even an OEM renovated AT will take some serious punishment before it begins to slip, and the question is for how long the Level10 upgraded AT will last v.s a new stock unit. Since Enrita is running upgraded turbos on high power levels facts will soon be known. In case the Level10 AT then fails they are out of business in the 335-segment, but hopefully they will do a good work and secure the AT can hold the promised torque even after hard and extensive usage.

It would be a lot easier to buy their promises if they would claim that the clutch pack is increased by 30% or in other technical terms than modifications based on findings in the customers current transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Indeed. It makes me wonder what those other shops out there charging 7-10k to work on this trans would do. If its got upgraded clutch packs and what not, why would another shop charge 5k extra for the same work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i had planned on turning up th boost this week, but i cannot. so high HP/TQ review will have to wait

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12