Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Exclamation 500HP Turbo Upgrade for 335/135i?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/04/29/50...medium=twitter

A new day and another tuner launches a new product around BMW vehicles. This time, Vivid Racing brings out an turbo upgrade kit to the BMW 135i Coupe. In its standard form, the N54 engine powering the 135i produces 300 horsepower. With the upgrade kit and additional power parts, the N54 engine will be capable of producing 500 horsepower.

Without any further ado, let’s have a look at Vivid Racing’s project.

“Vivid Racing has continued the horsepower possibilities with this all new twin turbo upgrade for the BMW 135I N54 engine. Have spent some time behind the wheel of our Project 135I, we wanted to develop a turbo upgrade that would not take out the stock look, feel, and functionality of the BMW engine.

For someone that wants the next stage in performance once all the support mods are done, this kit by Vivid Racing is it! This upgrade utilizes the OEM Mitsubishi TD03 turbos which are then modified with a new compressor wheel and a 7 degree turbine clip. BMW successfully eliminated turbo lag with the design of these turbos, however left alot of room to gain on the mid to top end RPM range. Where the stock turbos fall flat, this turbo upgrade will have your car pushing Porsche like 0-60 times and 1/4mile times.

By modifying the compressor and clipping the turbine wheel, we are able to gain as much as 60HP to the crank over the stock turbochargers with supporting mods. The cost of associated with this turbo upgrade is based off of a core charge. We have turbos available already upgraded or you can send your turbos to be modified.

If you choose to use our core exchange program, you will be billed an additional $3500 for the cost of new turbos. This amount will be refunded to you upon receipt of your original turbos back. The process to modify the turbos requires precision machining and a complete dissasembly to rebuild the turbos. This means that even the cores are like getting new units.

To maximize the power, you will need additional power parts to take advantage of what these turbos can do. We highly recommend the following items: Agency Power Downpipes, Agency Power Midpipes, Agency Power Muffler, Agency Power Intercooler, Injen Intake System, Upgraded Fuel Components.”
    Item can be found here....
    http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/v...-p-100035.html
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

So it's $2k for an additional +60CHP with supporting mods?

Did I read that right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    So it's $2k for an additional +60CHP with supporting mods?

Did I read that right?
    I'm not sure, seems it would be cheaper than any other option out there with greater gains. I suppose 60 crank may not be out of line.

Seems this is a clipped wheel similar to the EPL upgrade?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From my understanding it is the same as epl's snails. To bad I live acorss the damn country or else I would be there right now getting these tested out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

why is everyone clipping turbos? IMHO clipped turbos are a waist of time and money. I want to see LARGER turbos not modified OEM turbos. BIGGER=BETTER
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

why? because its a very cheap way to make the exhaust flow more cfm. but in doing so not only are you spinning the turbine faster than it was intended to go, its going even faster now with the larger compressor side. i swear, you would think they had some care for the customer cars and not just want to push out a product. this type of technology is so outdated, the price doesnt even come close to justifying the gains or possible failure.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

lol at the 3500 dollar core charge. Click here to enlarge
    Another clipped turbo, at least they are slightly better priced though. The more I think about it, these still should be in the 1500 dollar range TOPS. You can get reworked clipped stockers for ANY other application for roughly 600-800 dollars a turbo.

Yet again, no compressor map, no cfm, no max psi. Nada just another company that says its the greatest. BTW vivid racing is a joke. Google their name and their rep will become clear. $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    lol at the 3500 dollar core charge. Click here to enlarge
    Another clipped turbo, at least they are slightly better priced though. The more I think about it, these still should be in the 1500 dollar range TOPS. You can get reworked clipped stockers for ANY other application for roughly 600-800 dollars a turbo.

Yet again, no compressor map, no cfm, no max psi. Nada just another company that says its the greatest. BTW vivid racing is a joke. Google their name and their rep will become clear. $#@!
    I bought from them and they were good in shipping and well priced.

The only thing is, when I messaged the guy from vivid on a forum about his M5 build and to share details here, he reported me. WTF? Just a couple weeks earlier I was messaging him about a potential purchase and he was so quick to respond. Yet, when I asked for him to share a BMW build he reports me after giving him business?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The factual data behind a clipped turbine wheel are as follows. The purpose behind clipping a turbine wheel is to help exduce more exhaust gas and reduce backpressure, because the turbine is not designed to support the compressor wheel that it has been mated to. The degree of the clip siginfies how much of an angle has been machined away from the turbine based on the point of diminishing return. The point of dimishing return is up to the person doing the machine work to quantify after testing. There is only one proven positive affect of clipping a turbine wheel and that is increased ability to exduce exhaust gases, that's all. There are proven negative affects as well such as making the turbine less efficient at doing it's job, which is to spin the compressor wheel. The main focus being to decrease the interference of exhaust flow to support the increased compressor volume and reducing backpressure in the upper rpm's. This is at the expense of making the turbine less efficient at spinning the compressor wheel, causing an increase in turbo lag and loss of power and torque on the bottom end of the powerband.

Many people have this misconception that clipping increases spool and response because you're taking away material and making it lighter. This is completely false and couldn't be further from the truth.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I bought from them and they were good in shipping and well priced.

The only thing is, when I messaged the guy from vivid on a forum about his M5 build and to share details here, he reported me. WTF? Just a couple weeks earlier I was messaging him about a potential purchase and he was so quick to respond. Yet, when I asked for him to share a BMW build he reports me after giving him business?
    Type vivid racing on any subi forum and run like hell.
    They $#@!ed me on my suspension which i bought from them. REported them to the BBB only to find out they have many reports already filled by tons of members. Company is a joke imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Type vivid racing on any subi forum and run like hell.
    They $#@!ed me on my suspension which i bought from them. REported them to the BBB only to find out they have many reports already filled by tons of members. Company is a joke imo.
    How did they screw you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I have dealt with vivid a few times and they have been great, sucks to hear that you got screwed over.

I figured I would post this up since I havent seen anyone else talk about it plus its another upgrade option for the N54 motor just spreading the word. If I was gonna upgrade my turbos I would save up and get the ASR turbos without question Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How did they screw you?
    Long story, if you are bored:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...acing+horrible
    btw I was stx tri state champ in autox, suspension is NOT one of my weak points. I can pretty much hang with the best of them when it comes to dialing in a car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Long story, if you are bored:
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...acing+horrible
    btw I was stx tri state champ in autox, suspension is NOT one of my weak points. I can pretty much hang with the best of them when it comes to dialing in a car.
    Damn... I mean I heard stories about them and they put up with a lot of crap on 6speed, but damn, seems like they deserved it.