Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Post Article: MT has an F30 Mule

​While actually less telling than what's been seen in Europe, there are some comments on the interior, at least.

We caught this 2012 BMW 3 Series test mule just a few miles away from the Motor Trend offices, which, oddly enough, was sporting more camouflage than the one we snapped in Europe a few months ago. There’s nothing new to report on the exterior, but what we really wanted were interior shots. Yours truly tailed the BMW for about 30 minutes through the narrow streets of Redondo and Manhattan Beach in our 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab truck… not exactly the most nimble or inconspicuous spy vehicle in our long-term fleet, but I somehow kept up.

At one point, I was stopped right next to it at a light — when the light turned green, the BMW’s engine (which sounded like an inline-six) immediately fired up (thankfully, the Chevy’s Duramax diesel wasn’t loud enough to drown it out). We’re guessing the tester was equipped with Start/Stop technology, since the driver appeared to have both hands on the wheel. We wouldn’t be surprised if BMW offered the simple fuel saving technology in the next-gen 3-Series to help the automaker meet the upcoming CAFE standard for 2016.

The chase ended at a shopping center parking lot in Marina Del Rey when the 3 Series was met by BMW employees in an X3 and a Z4. They immediately covered the tester with a car cover and took turns guarding the car and getting their late-night caffeine fix at Starbucks. Afterwards, the 3 Series was on the move again, but I was left behind performing an agonizing seven-point turn to get the big Silverado out of its parking spot. Unfortunately, clear shots of the interior were mission impossible. While I was next to the car snapping photos, the driver erratically tried to block the interior with his hands and the sun visor. But judging from my first-hand glance, however, the interior doesn’t appear to be much different from the current 3 Series. The gauges appear to be sharper and brighter and the iDrive screen seemed wider. Hopefully we’ll get shots of the interior soon, but in the meantime, enjoy the photos below.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/spied-2012...#ixzz1UYGKmQ6b

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not really an article...sorry about that. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No