Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Which countries have the most vacation days?

Brazil 30 11 41
    Lithuania 28 13 41
    Finland 30 10 40
    France 30 10 40
    Russia 28 12 40
    Austria 25 13 38
    Malta 24 14 38
    Greece 25 12 37
    Japan 20 16 36
    Poland 26 10 36

* Typical practice among large U.S. companies

Editor's Note: Each Friday, CNN will examine statistics or world rankings to show how various countries compare with one another. Who's the best? Who's the worst? And where does the U.S. fit in? You'll find those answers in our Country Comparisons series.
    (CNN) -- The United States has been called the "no-vacation nation," and looking at the table above, it's not hard to see why.
    Many other countries allow for much more vacation time, according to a 2009 survey by Mercer, a human resources consulting firm.
    The numbers above reflect the minimum vacation days for an employee who works five days a week and has 10 years of service with a company. But the United States comes with an asterisk. That's because the U.S. -- unlike the other countries on the list -- lacks a federal law that mandates vacation time.
    For comparison purposes, Mercer listed the "typical" amount of days off that large U.S. companies give their 10-year employees: 15 paid vacation days and 10 public holidays (25 total).
    That's a far cry from Brazil and Lithuania, which top the list with 41 total days off. Finland, France and Russia offer a minimum of 40 days off.
    India and China are the only countries in the survey that typically have fewer paid vacation days than the U.S., but India makes up for it with 16 public holidays -- the most in the survey along with Japan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Looks like I'm living in the wrong country haha.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

haha, that's not even close to what we here.

in every month we have 2 vacation days for different reason and also we have 13 days off to celebrate new year.
    but we have something unique here. 3 weeks ago, Wednesday was a vacation day and our weekend is Friday. so gov decided it's pointless make people come to work in Thursday so they called that Thursday as a vacation day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My last job in the UK, I had 6 weeks paid vacation per year, unlimited sick days, and worked 35-37 hours per week.

Here in Canada, I have only 2 weeks paid vacation, no paid sick days, and work 50+ hours per week.

Work/life balance is something I miss! I burn out lots more in Canada, that's for sure .. so even though I work many more hours, over the course of the year, I am far less productive.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

This is why I prefer to make my own schedule.