Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No, it isn't.

And since it behaves LIKE A MANUAL in the WAY IT FUNCTIONS a 2-step will work to build boost at the line and would be nothing like trying to get it to work with a torque converter automatic.

How do people still not get this? Click here to enlarge
    these guys must live under rocks. lmao J/K boys
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    launch? I can see a sudden increase in DSS sales..maybe I should invest in their company Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, it isn't. And since it behaves LIKE A MANUAL in the WAY IT FUNCTIONS a 2-step will work to build boost at the line and would be nothing like trying to get it to work with a torque converter automatic. How do people still not get this? Click here to enlarge
    Buttom line is it's not a manual, I know how the dct works I get it... All I'm saying is the gears AUTOMATICLY are shifted... I don't think the dct will last long launching under boost..
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

The DCT automatically shifts sometimes even in the sport++ mode on my friends Z4 35is, maybe the M3 has diffrent software allowing more manual control...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    The DCT automatically shifts sometimes even in the sport++ mode on my friends Z4 35is, maybe the M3 has diffrent software allowing more manual control...
    yea a clutch peddle comes down and you can control the clutch like a normal manual car Click here to enlarge lol
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    Buttom line is it's not a manual, I know how the dct works I get it... All I'm saying is the gears AUTOMATICLY are shifted... I don't think the dct will last long launching under boost..
    It's a dual clutch, calling it an automatic makes it sound like it is a torque converter trans which it isn't. You can shift it manually too. Just call it a DCT as automatic is incorrect.

The trans in the GTR lasts launching with AWD, don't see why the BMW's would be made out of glass.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

It's a dual clutch, calling it an automatic makes it sound like it is a torque converter trans which it isn't. You can shift it manually too. Just call it a DCT as automatic is incorrect.

The trans in the GTR lasts launching with AWD, don't see why the BMW's would be made out of glass.
    Well the steptronic can also be shifted manually, doesn't make any of the two ways of building automatic gearboxes anything else than a "auto" Click here to enlarge none of them lets the driver have full control of the gearbox (probably why most petrolheads prefer the manual gearboxes)
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Sticky, if you hold the brake down at a stop in D or M1 and then have partial throttle, does the car nose up? Like its trying to go but being held back? Or does something else happan? I honestly dont know because ive never driven a dct.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    launch? I can see a sudden increase in DSS sales..maybe I should invest in their company Click here to enlarge
    +1! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Dct is definetly a type of manual tranny... Basically 2 manuals combined splitting odd and even gears so you can be in 2 gears simultaneously and switch between clutches. The auto uses planetary gears and a fluid linkage (torque converter). Dct would benefit in a 2 step if you could get past the electronic clutch control aspects.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

i said million times before, When a gearbox shifts on it's own, nobody calls it a manual and it certainly isn't a manual. does DCT shift on it's own? Yes then it's not a manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Any Update T?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    i said million times before, When a gearbox shifts on it's own, nobody calls it a manual and it certainly isn't a manual. does DCT shift on it's own? Yes then it's not a manual.
    True, but I disagree to point, auto/manual also refers to the design. These days anything can be auto, just throw some servos with electronic control. BUT origianally the auto tranny was designed to shift using limited mechanical movements by hydraulic pressures depending on gear, rpm and vacuum. Now everything is electronic control. The design of the auto will not allow a 2 step or no need for one with a high stall. Dct and standard trannys can benifit in anti-lag.

Didn't really read the thread so not sure of the discussion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Well the steptronic can also be shifted manually, doesn't make any of the two ways of building automatic gearboxes anything else than a "auto" Click here to enlarge none of them lets the driver have full control of the gearbox (probably why most petrolheads prefer the manual gearboxes)
    The steptronic is a torque converter automatic which is what calling it automatic denotes, its physical composition as a transmission. This is universally understood or at least I thought it was as I'm still surprised many of you are behind on this. It also means the steptronic AUTOMATIC can build boost on the line which a DCT can't because it functions like a manual being a dual clutch transmission with basically two manual gearboxes in one. Therefore the idea of building boost for a DCT like with a manual makes sense and saying it doesn't because it is automatic is wrong which is where this stemmed from.

Control or the gearbox or not is irrelevant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Nobody said it is a manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, if you hold the brake down at a stop in D or M1 and then have partial throttle, does the car nose up? Like its trying to go but being held back? Or does something else happan? I honestly dont know because ive never driven a dct.
    You can not brake boost it. It would work like trying to do with a manual. The computer will actually cut in and stop you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Dct is definetly a type of manual tranny... Basically 2 manuals combined splitting odd and even gears so you can be in 2 gears simultaneously and switch between clutches. The auto uses planetary gears and a fluid linkage (torque converter). Dct would benefit in a 2 step if you could get past the electronic clutch control aspects.
    There we go... it's simple people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

How is the board your going to offer different than what is already in the JB4? The transport mode already sets a limiter, so could I enable the 2 step part only through software? Is the board manly for the No lift to shift portion?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

You would need the board and wiring to use a 2step or NLS. Transport mode will not do that for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Oh. I was messing around with the transport mode, and was able to build 5-6psi so figured you were implementing the same approach. I'm sure that's not recommended though lol. Are those boards out of alpha testing yet, I have feeling the NLS will make me not want to sell my car anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

It isn't something we'll be officially supporting but additional info on the DIY is here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13235

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12