Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No

    Experienced N54 fuel pump limp mode myself the other day

    So I went over to my counsin's house and he has a 335. He wanted to go gamble but had been drinking so I drove his car to the casino. Completely stock motor, 75k miles.

    Car had its fuel pump replaced last week, first new pump for it. I get on the freeway and open her up to 110 or so. Immediately reduced power warning Click here to enlarge Pull over on the side, turn it off, turn it back on (somewhat long crank) and warning is gone. Well, this pump likely isn't going to last all taht long.

    New fuel pump and on my first pull in the car freaking limp mode already? How do you guys deal with this $#@!?

    To be honest, power felt pretty good although up top it did tail off. Response of the motor is decent as well, not NA responsive but nice for a turbo motor. Regardless, I see why so many of you have problems.

    I was going to get him a tune but I think he just wants the car to run right.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Since my warranty is up, they had to do the recalls on the HPFP and the injectors. Hopefully this "new" pump doesn't die on me as my old one didn't have any problems.

    Also, you guys have 15% ethanol there right? We have 10% here...might have something to do with it. Do european n54's experience this issue as well?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,614
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    75k stock miles? Waste of an N54.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Lol crazy. My car has never had a fuel pump problem and im at almost 60k miles, it did get replaced to the newest one though, under the recall and luckily it hasn't gone out, only my injectors. That 335a needs a tune bad. Big big difference Sticky in power feeling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    75k stock miles? Waste of an N54.
    Not my car.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Lol crazy. My car has never had a fuel pump problem and im at almost 60k miles, it did get replaced to the newest one though, under the recall and luckily it hasn't gone out, only my injectors. That 335a needs a tune bad. Big big difference Sticky in power feeling.
    I'm sure it does make a big difference but what does it matter if you hit limp mode every time you try to accelerate?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Points
    3,343.8
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    how're you sure its a fuel pump? that doesn't sound like a fuel pump at all...limp mode isn't induced when fuel pump goes AFAIK...its a fuel cut and engine shuts down...its a pretty violent event Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure it does make a big difference but what does it matter if you hit limp mode every time you try to accelerate?
    I think its just a matter of luck, some people have never had fuel pump problems. You will always hear about the ones with problems but not the ones without any.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    how're you sure its a fuel pump? that doesn't sound like a fuel pump at all...limp mode isn't induced when fuel pump goes AFAIK...its a fuel cut and engine shuts down...its a pretty violent event Click here to enlarge
    Well I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like that would be the case. New pump, accelerate hard, instant hard power cut and then have to restart and get a longer crank.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure it does make a big difference but what does it matter if you hit limp mode every time you try to accelerate?
    Out of the 999,999,999,999,999 times I've gone WOT I've never gotten "limp mode". The funny thing is my first pump went into limp mode (to me sounded like only 5 cylinders were running properly) when I was cruising home from work on I-35N going 75mph steady on cruise control.

    Restarted the motor, ran normal, but I called Classic BMW and got the coding done, and they checked a few things. Back here in Corpus my VIN came up for the HPFP recall so I let them do it even though it wasn't causing problems.

    I run 10% ethanol 93 every day. We only have like two Shell stations here, and I think a Rudy's is ethanol free. (Or just doesn't have the sticker)

    Corpus also got it's first e85 pump. Click here to enlarge (Dreaming about Z build.....)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Out of the 999,999,999,999,999 times I've gone WOT I've never gotten "limp mode". The funny thing is my first pump went into limp mode (to me sounded like only 5 cylinders were running properly) when I was cruising home from work on I-35N going 75mph steady on cruise control.

    Restarted the motor, ran normal, but I called Classic BMW and got the coding done, and they checked a few things. Back here in Corpus my VIN came up for the HPFP recall so I let them do it even though it wasn't causing problems.

    I run 10% ethanol 93 every day. We only have like two Shell stations here, and I think a Rudy's is ethanol free. (Or just doesn't have the sticker)

    Corpus also got it's first e85 pump. Click here to enlarge (Dreaming about Z build.....)
    What are the chances on my first pull in an N54 car in forever it goes into limp mode? It's just too funny.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What are the chances on my first pull in an N54 car in forever it goes into limp mode? It's just too funny.
    It is quite the coincidence. So you've never driven an upgraded N54, or 135i?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    It is quite the coincidence. So you've never driven an upgraded N54, or 135i?
    A long time ago. I haven't tried any of the newer JB4 stuff.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A long time ago. I haven't tried any of the newer JB4 stuff.
    Just find a manual catless 135i with JB4 and some race gas, and/or meth. Then hold the traction button for 3 seconds and have some fun....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Just find a manual catless 135i with JB4 and some race gas, and/or meth. Then hold the traction button for 3 seconds and have some fun....
    I'll just wait for my car to be completed, thanks Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,245
    Rep Points
    6,792.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'll just wait for my car to be completed, thanks Click here to enlarge
    You are a patient man...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    You are a patient man...
    I have my limits.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    419
    Rep Points
    601.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like my replacement pump .. lasted a week or two before failing.

    I've had a couple of small issues with my third pump too, but it has been behaving for a while now.

    If this pump fails, I'm getting rid of the car. I really hope it holds together though, because I'm having way too much fun with JB4+meth-injection Click here to enlarge
    ~

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,425
    Rep Points
    32,105.3
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like my replacement pump .. lasted a week or two before failing.

    I've had a couple of small issues with my third pump too, but it has been behaving for a while now.

    If this pump fails, I'm getting rid of the car. I really hope it holds together though, because I'm having way too much fun with JB4+meth-injection Click here to enlarge
    Fuel pump saga... we need a smiley just for the HPFP.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast.
    Posts
    228
    Rep Points
    128.2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    i've most likely wen't WOT about 7 trillion times in my previous n54 and never experienced a Limp man that car was strong.
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,079
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Out of the 999,999,999,999,999 times I've gone WOT I've never gotten "limp mode". The funny thing is my first pump went into limp mode (to me sounded like only 5 cylinders were running properly) when I was cruising home from work on I-35N going 75mph steady on cruise control.
    That's funny, that's exactly how mine went into limp mode, but went away after the restart. About 45-50 was cruising then the sign came up!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    I've only had one hpfp issue in 50k miles and have never had limp mode. I got my pump replaced under the recall.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    419
    Rep Points
    601.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Limp mode is a horrible thing to experience under WOT. Like hitting a brick wall, and rather embarrassing.

    One time (on my last pump) I went into limp mode after beating up a G37. Fortunately he was too far back to recover. He turned off at the next stop light .. if only he stayed for a rematch .. LOL.. he'd be posting on some forum about how he killed a 335i easily.
    ~

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9
    Rep Points
    14.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    ...The funny thing is my first pump went into limp mode (to me sounded like only 5 cylinders were running properly) when I was cruising home from work on I-35N going 75mph steady on cruise control.
    Mine just did that yesterday. It happened on the first time I went WOT, limp mode, then seemed to be running on 5 cyl. Quick restart at next stop, and all was well, but it was pretty sad. Going to get plugs replaced along with hpfp soon, hopefully it fixes it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,745
    Rep Points
    1,330.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I was going to get him a tune but I think he just wants the car to run right.
    lol wut?
    Click here to enlarge


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •