Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anyone ever do JB4 disaster recovery?

I've did something to my JB4 last night uploading the 7/20 firmware and now my car will not run for more than about 20 seconds when my JB4 is installed. I figure that the file got corrupted somehow on the install. I tried to do the disaster recovery but the instructions have me a bit confused. Has anyone ever done the recovery and can you explain the instructions better? Terry mentioned that I can send in the JB4, but I can't imagine life without it for even a few days. So, I'm going to install it again to night and try it again.
    The part that I don't understand is the where it says to cut and reconnect power to start boot mode. Where do I cut the power? do I just turn off the ignition, or do I pull the power from the green plug, or do I just disconnect the USB cord? I can't get the JB4 to connect to the computer anyway, so maybe I'm just screwed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Disaster recovery is for a bricked box like it sounds like you have. When you click the button it gives very specific directions you must follow for it to work.

Disaster recovery should only be used when firmware has successfully uploaded but immediately following the upload the JB4 fails to boot up. This indicates the firmware may have become corrupted during the upload process. Disaster recovery will trigger a flag in the JB4 to force it in to boot mode where you can reupload the firmware. Directions: Remove keys from ignition with the JB4 interface open and USB cable connected. Wait 5 or more minuites for ECU to go to sleep, press the disaster recovery button, press unlock button and insert the keys in the ignition, turn the ignition on without starting the car. If successful the interface will prompt you to reupload the firmware. *** NOTE USING THIS MODE WITHOUT CYCLING POWER TO THE JB4 WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ***

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see that popup, but when I hit okay, is that when the disaster recovery is supposed to start? There is also a window that tells me to "cut and reconnect power to jb4 box within this window to force boot load mode". Is this when I'm supposed to unlock the door and push the ignition button? All that I'm getting is interface errors. I guess it's easier to just send it in, but JB4 is a drug that I can't live without!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You cut the power by sitting in the car, removing the keys, and pressing the "lock" button. After 3-4 min the DME goes to sleep. Then you start the disaster recovery on the laptop, and within the allotted time put the keys in the ignition and press the start button to wake the DME up. Basically, the disaster recovery sends a command to the JB4 that it must receive right when its powering up to force it in to boot-load mode to reinstall the firmware.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess it's a no-go. All I'm getting is "interface error". I guess I'll send it in Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You'd have to ensure the interface was booted up, USB plugged in, and the proper com port selected before starting the procedure. If you need addl help you can email in a screen shot. Otherwise the easiest thing is just to mail it in. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol damn, can't live without it for a few days. It's that good huh.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have to say I think this is like the first time Ive ever heard of a bad JB4 lol...send it in and Terry will have it back in a jiffy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure I had to have done something to it. It's been flawless every other time I did the firmware updates. Anyway, it's on its way to Terry as we speak and should be there Thursday. In the mean time, I'll be trying to drive a slow car fast and enjoying the CEL from my downpipes. Click here to enlarge Right now, I feel like my penis lost an inch or so, so I can't wait to get it back!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure I had to have done something to it. It's been flawless every other time I did the firmware updates. Anyway, it's on its way to Terry as we speak and should be there Thursday. In the mean time, I'll be trying to drive a slow car fast and enjoying the CEL from my downpipes. Click here to enlarge Right now, I feel like my penis lost an inch or so, so I can't wait to get it back!

Yea man, that tune should add another 2 inches lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Yea man, that tune should add another 2 inches lol
    If true BMW guys with non-N54's will suddenly be buying these left and right. Except for M3 owners, they have the biggest packages to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Except for M3 owners, they have the biggest packages to begin with.
    Cock.